Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
Cool paint on the old bike. And yes... chessy. ;)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Oddly enough, this doesn’t compel me to run out and buy a modern hard tail…when a classic provides just as much fun!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oddly enough, this doesn’t compel me to run out and buy a modern hard tail…when a classic provides just as much fun!
I thought the same thing. Did you notice how much Matt is smiling while he is riding he 88 Cinder Cone?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Now and then I run into another cyclist on an antique rig; often its a guy about my age (50-something) that may have graduated to something better and more modern, but still really enjoys the immediate, tactile connection to the ride. I have a few 1980's rigid bikes and a couple of klunkers; either bike can make a lazy day on a blue trail a lot of fun, or moderate-speed run on a black trail flood the system with feel-good hormones.

Unfortunately there aren't enough old steel bikes to go around. Some will have to ride their modern counterparts.

A couple of years ago, it was all 29'ers, all the time; now its 650b. I doubt 26 will completely dissappear, as evidenced by the fact that Surly seems in no hurry to abandon the 1x1, Troll or Instigator

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now and then I run into another cyclist on an antique rig; often its a guy about my age (50-something) that may have graduated to something better and more modern, but still really enjoys the immediate, tactile connection to the ride. I have a few 1980's rigid bikes and a couple of klunkers; either bike can make a lazy day on a blue trail a lot of fun, or moderate-speed run on a black trail flood the system with feel-good hormones.

Unfortunately there aren't enough old steel bikes to go around. Some will have to ride their modern counterparts.

A couple of years ago, it was all 29'ers, all the time; now its 650b. I doubt 26 will completely dissappear, as evidenced by the fact that Surly seems in no hurry to abandon the 1x1, Troll or Instigator
When I first got my Black Cat 29er 2 years ago I had Todd build a matching Steel Fork and Stem. (I had him build it around a 80mm travel fork). I road it a couple months rigid and eventually put a Sid XX WC on it. Kept it that way for the US Nationals and trail riding around washington. I finally went back to the rigid steel fork and I really like it better for this bike. Handles better, climbs better, just all around better feel. I still like suspension when the trail is right but I just don't ride those kind of trails that much anymore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts