Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Bullit Rider
Joined
·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an "old" 2002 Santa Cruz Super 8. Here's a photo (which has been shared many times, sorry for re-using it!):



I was running a 26" rear wheel, which really limits the adjustability of the bike. This weekend however I'm converting to a 24" rear wheel, which the bike was built for as well. I've got a new-to-me adjustment that I want to ask about.

Wheelbase: the rear "dropouts" can now be moved front to back about 1/2" or so. How will this affect the handling of the bike? With the 26" rear wheel, I could only run the longer wheelbase. Now having the option, I'm curious what that will do to the handling?

I'm probably going to try both positions to see how the bike handles. It's not exactly something you can do in the middle of a run though.

Thanks,
Clay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
560 Posts
Running the wheel forward will make the bike a little more lively and less stable. It will also lower the BB slightly and slacken the head hangle a touch. Going with the smaller wheel relaxes the geoometry quite a bit and lowers the BB as well. I had one of these bikes from back in the day and it was really fun. I had the Razor Rock dropouts and rear hub which changed things up even more. It's nice to see some of these still being ridden.0
 

·
Bullit Rider
Joined
·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info!

My 26" rear was the RazoRock setup; with the 20mm axle. Super loud heh heh, and "felt" stiffer than my Bullit's rear. I'm hoping the stock 14mm axle & dropouts will still be on the stiff side.

I adjusted the shuttle position on the swingarm to compensate for the smaller wheel, and if anything at the moment, it stands a bit taller! Of course, I can slacken it by adjusting the shuttle. I'm also going to be playing with the forward shock mount; at least that's easy to do even while on the trail.

Thanks again,
Clay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
560 Posts
cbc said:
Thanks for the info!

My 26" rear was the RazoRock setup; with the 20mm axle. Super loud heh heh, and "felt" stiffer than my Bullit's rear. I'm hoping the stock 14mm axle & dropouts will still be on the stiff side.

I adjusted the shuttle position on the swingarm to compensate for the smaller wheel, and if anything at the moment, it stands a bit taller! Of course, I can slacken it by adjusting the shuttle. I'm also going to be playing with the forward shock mount; at least that's easy to do even while on the trail.

Thanks again,
Clay
Wow, I had actually forgotten how adjustable that bike is.
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
43,006 Posts
longer wheelbase: more stabilty at high speeds..feels like you are going slower but you are faster

shorter wheelbase: easier to turn
 

·
meow meow
Joined
·
10,622 Posts
its kinda crazy to look at a bike thats about eight yeas old and see how far mtbs have progressed (or maybe changed would be a better word).
 

·
Ricky DH
Joined
·
2,249 Posts
Man that is a sweet rig. I had the model before that one (without all the gussets) and it was a great bike. Really needed a floating rear brake though. You aughta see if you can get one through Brake Therapy. What's that thing weighing in at? 53+ lbs? Update those components and you'll be good to go for another 3 or 4 years.
 

·
Bullit Rider
Joined
·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rep_1969 said:
Man that is a sweet rig. I had the model before that one (without all the gussets) and it was a great bike. Really needed a floating rear brake though. You aughta see if you can get one through Brake Therapy. What's that thing weighing in at? 53+ lbs? Update those components and you'll be good to go for another 3 or 4 years.
Yeah, I'm working on updating as time and $$$ allow. I've got my eyes open for a set of Shivers, and currently having a Sun Double Track rim built on the RazoRock hub. Might have a matching one set up for the front; it's not as wide as the DoubleWide rim, but looks sturdy enough.

I was checking out Brake Therapy's site yesterday, and although didn't see anything listed I guess it's possible that they might have some old stock.

Last time I weighed this bike I was shocked; it was only 46 pounds. Not too bad considering my Bullit was weighing in at 43 pounds!

Clay
 

·
Ricky DH
Joined
·
2,249 Posts
cbc said:
Yeah, I'm working on updating as time and $$$ allow. I've got my eyes open for a set of Shivers, and currently having a Sun Double Track rim built on the RazoRock hub. Might have a matching one set up for the front; it's not as wide as the DoubleWide rim, but looks sturdy enough.

I was checking out Brake Therapy's site yesterday, and although didn't see anything listed I guess it's possible that they might have some old stock.

Last time I weighed this bike I was shocked; it was only 46 pounds. Not too bad considering my Bullit was weighing in at 43 pounds!

Clay
I was running double wides back in the day too but they were so freaking heavy. I've run Azonic Outlaws ever since and have had no issues. I'm a good 220lbs fully geared up so in my opinion the outlawas are plenty strong.
 

·
Bullit Rider
Joined
·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I *finally* got the correct rear caliper mount for this beast. I'm guessing it weighs more now with the 24" rear (wire bead tire on the doublewide), but it should be easier to pedal, eh-hem, uphill.



The rear brake works way better with the smaller wheel, but the bike feels great just messing around on the street. This weekend looks like some rain at Annadel, but I'm still going out. I'm too stoked to not ride this thing this weekend!

Anyway, thanks for the explanation on the adjustments.

Clay
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
560 Posts
cbc said:
I *finally* got the correct rear caliper mount for this beast. I'm guessing it weighs more now with the 24" rear (wire bead tire on the doublewide), but it should be easier to pedal, eh-hem, uphill.



The rear brake works way better with the smaller wheel, but the bike feels great just messing around on the street. This weekend looks like some rain at Annadel, but I'm still going out. I'm too stoked to not ride this thing this weekend!

Anyway, thanks for the explanation on the adjustments.

Clay
Ahh, yes...I remember that the Super 8 used a Boxxer brake adaptor for it's rear brake. The only frame out there, I believe.
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
43,006 Posts
O like how the front triangle was used on the first generation V-10's
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top