Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently using a set of m675 levers with new 7120 calipers. (Original calipers had broken ceramic pistons after 6 years of use) I have no complaints with this pairing but have been thinking that if I can get better braking with new levers maybe it's time to retire these old girls to backup status.

So is there any real performance difference between my current m675 levers (which work perfectly) and a pair of m7000 or m8000 levers?

Thanks all

· Registered
1,161 Posts
You won't get any noticable performance difference between the M675's and M7000 levers. The same with the M8000's except they have the bite point adjust feature.

I'm happy with original M7000 levers now paired with M7100 calipers, changed because of a recurring sticky piston issue on rear caliper after a couple of years of use in regular wet/muddy conditions.

I personally wouldn't pay more for the M8000's as I did a cheap and simple hack to reinstate the bite point adjust feature on the SLX's.

· Registered
1,161 Posts
Yes, near enough @DeeCount it's as easy as that. I bought a U4 spanner/security bit to get the snake bite screw out. I fitted grub screws as wanted something discreet so had to be very careful not to screw them in too far.😬

Bicycle Bicycle frame Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire

The small plastic lever inside that the screw pushes against was brittle on my old levers and eventually snapped at the pivot after a while..... but that's a different story.😥

· Registered
361 Posts
Thanks @Reaperactual. I had come across these:

I have the SLX M7120 brakes on the wife's bike and saw that the stroke adjust appeared to just be blocked off with a plug or a grub screw. I had wondered if enabling that function would be as simple as removing the plug and putting in the proper screw. After all, from all appearances the SLX is identical to the XT except for that screw, the dimples in the lever blade and the crappy paint job :p

Would adding that functionality allow the bite point to be moved out, or is it just for adjusting it in towards the bar?

Sorry to the OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Your BL-M675 already have the ServoWave tech so I doubt you'd see any performance improvement by upgrading. I think the BL-M7100 do look a little nicer if you're into the aesthetics side of things, and it would change your clamp spec to I-SPEC EV instead of B-TYPE. The new double touch point lever could possibly add problems to your shifter/dropper lever configuration, as with the wife's bike she has XTR Di2 shifter that we had to move way inward cause it not longer fits between the brake lever and handgrip.

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,165 Posts
The new double touch point lever could possibly add problems to your shifter/dropper lever configuration, as with the wife's bike she has XTR Di2 shifter that we had to move way inward cause it not longer fits between the brake lever and handgrip.
This is the main reason why I recently purchased a set of Saint brakes rather than one of Shimano's newer 4-piston models.
A set of Deore 4-pistons came stock on my Trek Rail ebike. Between the required levers on the handlebar (brakes, dropper, shifter) plus accessories (clamp-on ebike display, Garmin remote, bell) there are a lot of things on my handlebars. Shimano's new style brake lever perches take up much more room on the bar and therefore make positioning ancillary items more difficult while providing zero improvement in braking. I'm a Shimano fanboi but in my book their newest style brake levers are a fail compared to their old levers. For this reason, I prefer Shimano's old style levers that allow me to position my handlebar items wherever I like. Saint brakes have the old tried & true lever perches so that's what I bought. Win!
=sParty

· Registered
1,161 Posts

I have the SLX M7120 brakes on the wife's bike and saw that the stroke adjust appeared to just be blocked off with a plug or a grub screw. I had wondered if enabling that function would be as simple as removing the plug and putting in the proper screw. After all, from all appearances the SLX is identical to the XT except for that screw, the dimples in the lever blade and the crappy paint job :p

Would adding that functionality allow the bite point to be moved out, or is it just for adjusting it in towards the bar?

Sorry to the OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Your BL-M675 already have the ServoWave tech so I doubt you'd see any performance improvement by upgrading. I think the BL-M7100 do look a little nicer if you're into the aesthetics side of things, and it would change your clamp spec to I-SPEC EV instead of B-TYPE. The new double touch point lever could possibly add problems to your shifter/dropper lever configuration, as with the wife's bike she has XTR Di2 shifter that we had to move way inward cause it not longer fits between the brake lever and handgrip.
I wanted my bite point to be further out and it works for that.

I remember even the snake bite screw does actually add a little outward bite point itself. I noticed the lever moving out as I undid it.

The thing to understand that's obvious when I saw the inner workings of the lever is the screw pushes a small lever onto the lever push rod which in turn pushes the piston further into the master cylinder. As the piston moves further into the master cylinder the lever blade moves towards the bars so to gain maximum outward bite point the lever reach knob has to be adjusted to move the lever blade back away from the bars.

There is a YouTube clips that demonstrates this which I'll look for and post a link.

Edit:

· Registered
361 Posts
Awesome thanks 👍 With the default setup I loved how the bite point was farther out from the bar. But my wife has (relatively) small hands so when we adjusted the lever closer to the bars it also brought the bite point way in with it. Would be great to be able to move it back out, so there's almost no play in lever. Good 'ol Shimano instant on-off👍

· Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

No worries. I'm happy to hear have the info as well. Thanks for the info everyone. I think I'll just rebuild the levers to freshen them up and call it good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.