Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my latest toy.1991 Delta V, first generation Cannondale dual squish. It was a bad bike even when it was new, but man did I lust after one. Scored some really nice Campy Record OR, just to give it some street cred, everything works, but the rear shocks damping is reallllllllllllllly slow...... Happy memories:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
16,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kayac said:
Bought in 92 or 93, don't remember...Using it since then. Love it
Sweet! I forgot they had made that as a rear only squish too. Love the '90's colors. I was rather surprised at how understated mine was, given the time period.

·
He who follows his heart.
64 Posts
I've always got my eye out for both a Killer V and a Delta V to complete the V collection.

How is it though some Delta's are badged as Killer's, and vice versa? I've just done a quick web search again to make sure, and some are badged as described above.
I know that some could be resprays, rebuilds, etc, but others graphics seem to be genuine.

BTW, how much bob is there with that swing arm set up??

·
Registered
56 Posts
I feel that pedal bob it's not an issue. But the chain keeps gaining tension while the rear shock moves up and down, and you can clearly feel it climbing...Obviously, it's an old design...

·
Registered
539 Posts
:) i do remember some flex in the rear arm also.they had considerable brake lockout in the rear.what classics.we will have to start vintage mtb race's like they have for motorcycles.

·
He who follows his heart.
64 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Killer's were hardtails, Delta's, soft. Bob is not a problem, as Kayac said, but rear wheel suckage whilst climbing, is off the charts=:)
I did think that this was the case so some folk have just fired the wrong sticker set on the wrong bikes!

I also didn't think that bob would be an issue with the shock being mounted how it is, but thought it was a question worth asking nevertheless.

With the rear drop outs being as they are, I wouldn't want to tackle any big airs though :eek:

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's a very well done frame :) it's a Cannondale :D My SE2000 has done a lot of km (or miles...)and never, never had any trouble. In terms of durability it's really wellmade frame. This is why I like it a lot....

·
16,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mxer said:
mendon that thing look's very clean.enjoy!:thumbsup:
Actually, the guy that owned it before me must have attached crap all over it, locked it in racks, carried a chain/lock on it, etc. It's covered with repeat injury paint gouges, but then, elsewhere, it's pristine. Go figure:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
3,267 Posts
kayac said:
It's a very well done frame :) it's a Cannondale :D My SE2000 has done a lot of km (or miles...)and never, never had any trouble. In terms of durability it's really wellmade frame. This is why I like it a lot....
There is an SE2000 (or was it 1000) sitting in a bike shop around here. NEVER sold...
CDT

·
16,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CdaleTony said:
There is an SE2000 (or was it 1000) sitting in a bike shop around here. NEVER sold...
CDT
Yeah, you teased me with that before. Doesn't he want like a grand for it? I missed one almost as nice on ebay for $500, and this frame was $100, plus a way nicer parts mix :D

·
Registered
795 Posts
Sweet bike Craig (and Kayac)! One of my riding buddies back in the early 90's had that same bike. He was the one who turned me and several others in our group on to Cannondales back then - that was the inspiration for getting the 93 Delta V back then.

How's the headshock on that one? Mines starting to show signs of needing some work - it would be long over due. It's suddenly very stiff. Anything I can do myself? (I was considering - and still may - starting a new thread for that question). It's probably gonna sit around for a year or so until my son 12 year old son gets tall enough to ride it.

·
16,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TalonSL said:
So was this Delta V softtail a sort of predecessor to the Scalpel? I can see that the Prophet really draws from it's main triangle, but the travel looks pretty short.
In as much as Herbert Hoover was the predecessor of JFK. Thought process back then for suspension was all over the map. People did some ridiculous stuff, and bikes with rear only suspension, was one of them:rolleyes:

·
16,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jdr01930 said:
How's the headshock on that one? Mines starting to show signs of needing some work - it would be long over due. It's suddenly very stiff. Anything I can do myself?
Thanks! it's an odd duck, and ugly to boot, but I just had to have one. Seen alot go by on the 'bay, but never bit, till now :cool:

As to your shock. I believe that generation was a straight elastomer spring. When they go south, they turn into rocks. That is most likely why it feels bad. If you want to buy a Castle tool, you can do it yourself, but if you get that far in, you may as well have a service done on it too. Whether you can do that yourself or not, is a decision I cannot make for you! Let me know if you needmore info :thumbsup:

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
TalonSL said:
So was this Delta V softtail a sort of predecessor to the Scalpel? I can see that the Prophet really draws from it's main triangle, but the travel looks pretty short.
Back then, 50mm travel was considered long travel... Remember, it was the begining of dual suspensions. I remember when DH pro were riding hardtails... they would probably use a Scalpel for downhilling!

I had a Pro-Flex back then, a '89 model with a few mm of elastomer travel on the back and a suspension stem. The rear suspension actually felt good. I think Pro-Flex had a patent on the swingarm pivot location to minimize BOB and minimize the chain tensioning up. Their pivot was close to today's Prophets and Rushes. Other companies were just experimenting a lot and most had either a lot of BOB or a lot of stiffening.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.