Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I couldn't bring myself to replace my old HL spot so I had the poofta red recoated to midnight blue and added a few components to make a 25.5 lb 5 Spot with a few chances to loose some grams if I so choose.
After, the couch shot 25.5/before 27.25 sedona

Attachments

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not much

about 1/2 lb going tubeless, another 1/2 lb in the wheels and 1/2 lb in brakes. I'm trying to keep up with my freinds who are building 23-4 lb bikes with less travel so I put my original 5.1 rockers and non qr seatpost clamp back on which saved a few ounces. I'm contemplating trimming the extra 4" off the seapost, getting some lighter skewers (the hopes are 140+) maybe a couple lighter components ; this is after all my XC bike and I have 2, 6" bikes for lift access riding.
decender said:
A Turner is a Turner, whatever colour it is :)

What did you change, other than the wheels to drop the weight?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Always cheaper to keep the bike you have, but sounds like you're itching for a Flux.

Oh and trim your front hydro line before you snare another rider :D

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Very well done, that midnight blue is gorgeous!

Have you had any issues with Schwalbe tires popping off the bead of Stan's rims? Are you using rim strips or just yellow tape with the valve?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not yet

but I've only done one ride so far with the stans setup. I have a couple freinds that have run the old racing ralph with stans without problems so I think I'll be fine. I'm using yellow tape only; the 2.4 NN went right on and sealed without issue, the new type 2.4 racing ralph took most of a day and a little extra sealant but seems fine now.
nybike1971 said:
Very well done, that midnight blue is gorgeous!

Have you had any issues with Schwalbe tires popping off the bead of Stan's rims? Are you using rim strips or just yellow tape with the valve?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thought about a $999 clearence Flux...

but my old broken wrists and surgically repaired shoulder say I need at least 5" of travel. And if I snare a hottie everyone will start running there lines that way:)
I see a number of fluxes that weigh more than my 5 Spot so I think I made the right choice.
skunkty14 said:
Always cheaper to keep the bike you have, but sounds like you're itching for a Flux.

Oh and trim your front hydro line before you snare another rider :D

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not quite

I skipped the tungsten steer tube/spacer combo so the aluminum ones will probably only save me 20g or so. 4" of a Thompson post netted me less than 70g so that 1" of steertube and 2 spacers shouldn't be more than 20g, where would I keep my dougnuts if I cut my dougnut holder down:confused:

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
Great color,

Looks great, are the chain stays black or is it my old eyes playing tricks on me..:eekster: If so it's a great idea that looks very sharp...............CF.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. The stays are kind of black.

Turner dosn't offer the chainstay protector anymore so I started using 1" electrical shrinkwrap, I did both chainstays because I tend to rub the powdercoat off of them with my heels
CRAZY FRED said:
Looks great, are the chain stays black or is it my old eyes playing tricks on me..:eekster: If so it's a great idea that looks very sharp...............CF.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts