Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made my first bicycle purchase in over 10 years so please forgive if this topic is outa line. When I was into biking years ago they were just beginning too offer "airless" tires. I am not sure if they were foam filled or just solid rubber. Obviously the weight would be HUGE with solid rubber, but is there any current offerings for "airless" tires. I absolutely HATE flat tires:madmax: .

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I remember the old "Airless" tires....

the last offering I saw was about 2 years ago. But they didn't last too long as a product. Mostly because they were only offered in some absolutely gaudy camo patters, nothing in just plain black! That and there were several problems involved with airless tires, first they didn't last any longer than a good set of tube tires, they generally had to be considerably harder to stay on the rim so offered a lousy ride, and even if they were hard enough they still tended to roll off laterally or slip around the rim. That and they never made of a real quality rubber compond. None of which is a good thing on an off road bike.

But there are MUCH better solutions now days for those of us that hate flats! First is the Stan's No Tubes solution. This kit converts a standard tire and rim to tubeless through the use of a specially designed rim strip and valve and the use of sealant. With it you can take almost any tire/rim combination and turn them into a tubles set up. The sealant seals the tire and seals most punctures should they occur, the rim strip seals the rim. The second option is the UST tubless system. This requires a UST rim and a tire which are designed as tubeless. Most folks that go UST still use a sealant to seal up small punctures should they occur.

Anyway either system is WAY lighter and much more reliable than a solid "airless" tire, and are in most cases lighter than a comparable tubed set up. They can be run at comparatively low pressures to increase traction without pinch flatting and/or improve the ride a bit. Bottom line is the newer tubeless offerings are far and away the better option.

Good Dirt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.