Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Paste eater
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Southern Maine is a pretty alright place to call home when you're a mountain biker. Good peeps and lots of options really. There's the fast buff stuff in S.Portland/Cape, the twisty rooty tech stuff at Bradbury, rock Chunkers at Clifford Park, some great climbing and versatility at Aggie AND the river trail, oh how I love you rivertrail! Get sick of that and the likes of Lynn Woods, Fomba, North Conway, Orono are all within striking distance for day trips. BUt I digress...

The group I ride with has a huge spread of riders from 20year olds to 60 year olds, from superlights to bullits. Some of the older riders have been riding just about as long as I've been in existence, at which point all the trails were harder and were uphill both ways - of course. ;)

One thing is for sure, things WERE different. The mountain bike history seems pretty rich around here. When ever the "old times" come up, a local loop referred to as the Prides loop always surfaces. It makes sense. It's a loop existing mainly of Powerlines, Pipelines conected via snowmobile trails. It only makes sense that's were mt bikers would go there before there was REAL single track.

Since those "archaic" times, prides has changed a bit from dirtbikers, developments and erosion but all the featured elements remain the same. It's not as heavily traveled now by mountain bikers whom have gravitated more to the buffed out stuff I mentioned above.

I was in the same boat 4 a while but have recently returned for more. Buff single it is not, though there is some now, but what you loose in buffness you gain in roughness.
the terrain is often open, rocky, bouldery with lots of climbing. ANd it's not JUST the Prides anymore wither. Given the very nature of powerlines, there are now miles and miles of rocks and ruts to ride with sporadic singletrack interlacing them all.

It's one of my favorite places to ride solo.

Top of one of the rolling hills W/moose-man

Often refereed to as the "sisters" or the *****es, this is ground zero. Up Up UP from here. I rode it dow first :)

Some powerline stuff and soon to be climbing.

Hidden sinlgetrack. yah baby.

shredding time. sweet.

duely drops... Do it Kayden.

Time to go back up

another look out. Kayden is getting tired.

lame timer shot

The view from the dinner table (cliff bar). Wouldn't have it any other way...

·
sinner
226 Posts
I like riding powerlines. Where I live, If I want to explore or just ride out my backdoor its usually has a few powerlines included in it. They don't replace singletrack but they have their place. Nice photos.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Man I miss those trails....I thought they were all developed?

We used to park at the bowling alley and then ride across 302, making our way to the powerline climb, then there was a great descent trail (near a radio tower) that lead back to the car at the bowling alley....It was a great loop. It's been 10 years since I rode there...

It's making me want to go ride some Power line trails now....Nice report and pics.

·
Paste eater
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Climber25 said:
Man I miss those trails....I thought they were all developed?

We used to park at the bowling alley and then ride across 302, making our way to the powerline climb, then there was a great descent trail (near a radio tower) that lead back to the car at the bowling alley....It was a great loop. It's been 10 years since I rode there...

It's making me want to go ride some Power line trails now....Nice report and pics.
Nope, still there. radio tower clipped a few things but everything for the most part remains the same.

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
I just rode all of that the other night at night. I love that loop as nasty as it is. There is that one hole just before the precipice that has obviously gotten deeper over the years. My bike was immersed and I was up to my thighs in water. Crazy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Aot of the powerline trails around me have no ATV signs on them does that include me or is it just ATV's i wasn't really sure

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
brendanbkr said:
Aot of the powerline trails around me have no ATV signs on them does that include me or is it just ATV's i wasn't really sure
Usually when they state ATVs they mean "motorized," as in, "combustion powered." I roll into these areas unless there is a "No Trespassing" sign. Well, even then, it depends. :eekster:

Looking at those pics again, they capture that loop rather well. I really enjoy the raw nature of that riding. Riding stuff with flow is great. Buff stuff is great. But there is something about terrain that brings it home.

·
Registered
31 Posts
indyfab25 said:
Usually when they state ATVs they mean "motorized," as in, "combustion powered." I roll into these areas unless there is a "No Trespassing" sign. Well, even then, it depends. :eekster:

Looking at those pics again, they capture that loop rather well. I really enjoy the raw nature of that riding. Riding stuff with flow is great. Buff stuff is great. But there is something about terrain that brings it home.
it really becomes an issue when uyou roll out the other side into somebdies backyard and you turn around and theres a sign stating no wheeled vehicles at all its one of those crap moments

·
a.k.a. Yeti Ken
112 Posts
aveski2000 said:
If anyone is interested, I'll be doing the same ride tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon at 3:00.
pm me for details. Nice pics Justin.
Where does this ride start? Off 302? I'd love to join in sometime as I'm desparately looking for people to ride with. It's my first Summer in Maine and I'm tired of riding Bradbury alone. It would be nice to find others to ride with.

I'm not sure I can make the 3:00 Saturday ride with Aveski2000, but would like to join in on another soon.

Ken

·
Registered
376 Posts
GS_Ken said:
Where does this ride start? Off 302? I'd love to join in sometime as I'm desparately looking for people to ride with. It's my first Summer in Maine and I'm tired of riding Bradbury alone. It would be nice to find others to ride with.

I'm not sure I can make the 3:00 Saturday ride with Aveski2000, but would like to join in on another soon.

Ken
This particular ride starts on Hardy Road in West Falmouth. Some of the other Prides loops start at the church on Pride Street in Westbrook and Congin School in Westbrook. Also the Climb "o" Rama (a longer version of today's ride) starts at the Hannaford in West Falmouth. There is a lot of inter-connection. Sign up with Rage. There are Portland area rides going on at least 3 or 4 times a week.

·
a.k.a. Yeti Ken
112 Posts
Thanks for the info. I just signed up to Rage. I ran into somebody at Clifford Park yesterday that mention the group as well. It will be nice to start riding with people again. I find myself walking a lot of technical sections that I'm capable of clearing because I'm in the middle of nowhere by myself. Safe = boring ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.