Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

441 - 460 of 497 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Lovin' the old bike

I ride a 2001 Santa Cruz Bullit. The frame's still rock solid, and the guy I bought it from had it custom built with some sweet extras: D321 rims, a 3" Gazzaloddi front tire, and Hayes purple brakes. Not a bad bike for $450 and $200 worth of parts. I'd love to ride a new DH, but until then the Bullit will handle pretty much anything I can give it. Sorry the pic uploader is screwing up on me so I can't get any pictures on here.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #443
I ride a 2001 Santa Cruz Bullit. The frame's still rock solid, and the guy I bought it from had it custom built with some sweet extras: D321 rims, a 3" Gazzaloddi front tire, and Hayes purple brakes. Not a bad bike for $450 and $200 worth of parts. I'd love to ride a new DH, but until then the Bullit will handle pretty much anything I can give it. Sorry the pic uploader is screwing up on me so I can't get any pictures on here.
I've got those same rims and brakes on my '01 S8! The brakes are a little tired, but wheels are strong as ever.

·
May The Force Be With You
2,418 Posts
D321's on my straight 8! Have held up 10x better then the old sun ringle double wide's and Mammoth rims I once had!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cool pics! Brings back memories from when I first got into downhill when I was a kid I loved my chumba wumba bikes,

Racing my chumba wumba Zulu in 2002

southride chuma pic.jpeg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Everyone, just trying the revive the thread. I'm buying a 2006 Sta Cruz VP free tomorrow.. see below:

vp free 2006.jpg

Seahag i was wondering how much you purchased the vp free. To be honest, i really wanted to buy a newer bike but i just bought a new hardrock and upgraded the parts for xc.. now i'm really digging the single tracks and DH and can't use my hardtail for it. So i'm buying this.

seller says its got new wheels and boxxer dual crowns. Looks like they are boxxer world cup ones. The guy is looking for $775. decent deal? comments would be welcome

I'm also looking at a specialized demo 2006.. $750 pretty bone stock but it's located far away it would be a 4 hour trip so i might go with the vp free.

btw this is a medium 19" frame and i'm 5'6 but the top tube length of 23.2 inches work for me based on measurements.

·
Yes, that's fonetic
3,893 Posts
Hi Everyone, just trying the revive the thread. I'm buying a 2006 Sta Cruz VP free tomorrow.. see below:

View attachment 921310

Seahag i was wondering how much you purchased the vp free. To be honest, i really wanted to buy a newer bike but i just bought a new hardrock and upgraded the parts for xc.. now i'm really digging the single tracks and DH and can't use my hardtail for it. So i'm buying this.

seller says its got new wheels and boxxer dual crowns. Looks like they are boxxer world cup ones. The guy is looking for $775. decent deal? comments would be welcome

I'm also looking at a specialized demo 2006.. $750 pretty bone stock but it's located far away it would be a 4 hour trip so i might go with the vp free.

btw this is a medium 19" frame and i'm 5'6 but the top tube length of 23.2 inches work for me based on measurements.
I'd go for the SC over the Demo, but it only has one fork on it...;)

·
Registered
389 Posts

View attachment 921310

I picked up my VP Free on Pinkbike's classifieds for $500 CAD...about $470 in USD. Course I had to pay about $75 to ship it from B.C. Mine had blown the stock shock, so I picked up a FOX DHX 5.0 coil from another Pinkbike user for $140. I added a dropper post and updated the brakes to a new set of Hayes Prime Pros...so all total I have around $900 invested. I love the bike. It allows me to ride much more agressively than my previous trail bikes did and the long suspension has saved my ass when I got in too deep a handful of times already. If you are getting it fully functioning for $775 I'd say GRAB IT!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
19" frame on a 5'6" dude, though...if the only reason you're not checking out the other bike is that it's a 4-hour drive, consider you only have to do that drive once. I'd drive pretty far to get the proper bike

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm trying to fix up an axonic xtension,can you tell me what rear hub width they need?
12MM X ? .Mine doesn't have replaceable derailuer hanger. They are hard to find any details on, if anyone know's a link? What hole do most people use in the rear linkage? Mines got manitou metel shock without canister and bomber 888rc forks. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Conejo Bikes DH and Freeride!

The Conejo AP/5.... A USA designed, made, and machined bike that had 4.5" to 7.5" of travel and was a very basic design! A free ride and dh bike with long travel, elevated chainstay, with a passive pivot active suspension. There was talk before they stopped producing bikes that they were working on a DH frame that was dual shock with 12"-14" of rear travel called the "Harvey"! Another rumor is the company is considering restarting production of their bicycle frames in aluminum and titanium with production in Arizona. Picture 861.jpg Picture 884.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK, while this isn't a DH bike, I thought this would be a good place to show off a great ebay find.
An old school pair of C-Dale DH pants from the Missy and Miles Volvo/Cannondale era.
Like new condition and they fit me perfectly.
$5 opening bid took them.

Now just need to find the matching jersey.
I have the same pants but blue. I have the matching red jersey to your pants. Size XL. I could part with it for the right price. Let me know if you are interested

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently picked up a Rocky Mountain DH Race series bike that I plan on getting tune up. I'm hoping all it needs is a tune up but is it worth fixing if it needs more? The frame has been signed by Wade Simmons, a local (BC, Canada) "Godfathers of Freeride" but haven't confirmed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I recently picked up a Rocky Mountain DH Race series bike that I plan on getting tune up. I'm hoping all it needs is a tune up but is it worth fixing if it needs more? The frame has been signed by Wade Simmons, a local (BC, Canada) "Godfathers of Freeride" but haven't confirmed.
I wouldn't put more money into it. Riding that thing down North Shore trails is gonna be tough. I don't doubt that Wade signed that, but what's a signature worth?

Ride it til it breaks, buddy! =) You have the most awesome trails... lucky!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply. This is my first DH bike and not going to get into anything gnarly. Bought it to ride it. It didn't cost me much. If I do break it what front/rear shocks are available as cheapest replacement?

·
Registered
24 Posts
XS Speed

xs speed.jpg

1996 rocky mountain XS Speed. Spent all its life as an everything bike.
Super deluxe rear shock is toast and needs replacing but unsure what to do as its 170mm eye to eye. Still my favourite ride...it still does the odd trip out here and there.

441 - 460 of 497 Posts