Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to spend HOURS on this site posting here & in chat with Chewbacca, Slarts, Parkmiester & others... Anyone from that era 1997- 2002 ish.

anyone?

My 30 second update after like a decade: Rolling mainly on a cargo bike (www.metrofiets.com) for the coffee biz but bust out the single speed steel hard tail for actual dirt when child care can be had. Cyclocross in winter & that's pretty much it. That and an occasional road ride.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
I was there

before the big bang. They've tried to get ride of me but I bore them to death and they leave me alone.

·
commie
245 Posts
Zaphod said:
I used to spend HOURS on this site posting here & in chat with Chewbacca, Slarts, Parkmiester & others... Anyone from that era 1997- 2002 ish.

anyone?

My 30 second update after like a decade: Rolling mainly on a cargo bike (www.metrofiets.com) for the coffee biz but bust out the single speed steel hard tail for actual dirt when child care can be had. Cyclocross in winter & that's pretty much it. That and an occasional road ride.
I've missed your silly, nonsensical whining (and those sandals you used to ride in).

Welcome back!

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Still here.........

I used to post lots of stories but the digital camera put an end to that era. I maintain that a good story is better than a photo but I am in the minority.

This would be a far better site if pictures were banned entirely. ;)

·
Registered
335 Posts
I was here in 2000 mostly posting reviews under my real name. I joined the forums in '03 but haven't particpated much in the social circles.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I got on here around 2000. Mostly lurked, and gained a lot of info from this group. 10 years later I still lurk.
Rev Bubba, I for one miss your stories. Always pure passion.
Thx all

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was on here a lot in 1998-2001 or so. I don't remember what my name was, so I had to register with a new one awhile back. I remember there be a forum called The Pits or something.

·
Rocket Boy
272 Posts
Yep, I was Rocket Boy back then. That's why I'm "Arby" today. (Rocket Boy = RB = "Arby") I used to hang in passion and the old chat room and talk to Boy George & Maryanne (MA), FrontRangeChicken, TRON, Simon, Fireboy, Geo, Spanky... and more I can't remember.

Rocket Boy

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
I too was here back in the late nineties (to present). I used to spend far more time here as well but now lurk more than anything. I still do post the occasional mtb related thread though.

I'm with Rev; the simplicity of posting pics/videos killed the long winded posts for the most part. I am guilty of this too (obviously), to a point. It's more a case of me just not having the time I used to have though. On rare occasions I still submit long written word style posts and add pics to help it along but it's been a while.

I stay though because there are still some real jems all over the site (not just in the passion forum): you just have to look a little harder for them. I still find the site to be "community-like". It's just much larger.

Still one of my favs on the WWW.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Thanks

I had the genesis of a story in my head while driving through Germany in June. I may actually get to it someday and submit it to Dirt Rag.

·
member since '97
171 Posts
froggy here.

The names are all coming back

BT, Shiva, Chuck, Captain America, Pedalboy (rip), the Mary Ann's, DFA and Vinnie (I wonder if they're still together).

I missed the ride at Waterdown that was in Mountain Bike, because my dumb ass was getting married that weekend. The wife is gone but I still have that bike (aka: the other woman) :thumbsup:

KMR/D8less and HTManiac!!! Ed the dude from SRAM in tooltime (looked like a Tom Bosley impersonator)

WOW, can we get our join dates rolled back?!!!

·
Steel is real.
1,268 Posts
Rev Bubba said:
I had the genesis of a story in my head while driving through Germany in June. I may actually get to it someday and submit it to Dirt Rag.
If you look back at the letter of the month in issue #148 you'll see this older pic.

It's my daughter reading their mag along with the story to go with it. I submitted it to them the month prior and was blown away when I saw it in there. Holy crap..... My daughter - to this day- still goes through their magazine before I even get a chance. She's been doing this for 2 years now (she's only 4 next month). She seriously loves it, for its artwork of course but loves listening to me tell her the "shortened version" of most articles as well. I love it.

Never did get those tires though. LOL

Still my favourite publication hands down.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
They have Passion

Great picture. How old is she now?

The people at Dirt Rag put on a great Dirt Fest at Raystown Lake, PA back in May. I'm looking forward to next year. Hope they have started an annual tradition. This year's Dirt Fest fell on what would have been the 25th Jim Thorpe Mountain Bike Weekend if the JTMBW hadn'd ended at its 20th.

This story I have running around in my head involves being trapped on a Polish Tour Bus speeding across the Autobann while being forced to watch the Sound of Music. Its a true story and may have done permanent brain damage.

·
Relax. I'm a pro.
1,464 Posts
Yo! I'm still here. Still riding. My appetite for technical singletrack hasn't diminished. What happened to Charlie America, Parkmeister, Chewy, Tron, Callamity Jenn, Underdog, Nosegoblin and so many others? I met the above at Replay by the Bay, back around 1999 or 2000. There was also a couple that came down from Canada, whose names escape me at the moment.......

--Antoine

·
member since '97
171 Posts
Sputnik, thanks.

I remember hearing that he had pulled a stunt. He may have been an a-hole, but he was OUR a-hole.

celly,

1 - 20 of 23 Posts