Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
nubee
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an old GT Pantera and went on my first trail ride last weekend. I now understand what they mean by brake fade. My question is how hard would it be to convert my center pull cantis to v-brakes. Thanks in advance

·
Live 2 Ride
6,127 Posts
Couldn't he find a better type in the BMX world?

·
nubee
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mtnbiker72 said:
When you say centerpull cantis...do you mean these

GT used these for many years. If that is the case, put new pads on them and enjoy...there is no replacement
yes, those would be the ones. thanks

·
nubee
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kona0197 said:
First, it's a mountain bike not a bmx bike. I wouldn't post bmx bike questions on a mountain bike forum. Second, I originally bought this bike off Craigslist because I could afford it. I had no intention of trail riding, I just needed to exercise. An injury forced me to stop running. After I bought the bike my research lead me to this site, where I became very interested in trail riding. And yes I realize I did it backwards by researching after I bought the bike, but hey it was $60 and everything worked on it, it fit me nicely, and it would serve my original purpose.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Those aren't called canti's. I think we called them U brakes, or maybe just centerpulls. (My memory is fading). Those brakes require the mounting boss in a different location than canti's or V brakes, so you can't just replace them with a canti or V brake because the pad will not line up with the rim.
You should be able to get adequate performance out of them with new pads and the right set up. Try to shorten the length of your straddle cable, so it runs more horizontal rather than having a deep V shape.
They used to sell brake booster plates which were a U shaped plate you bolted on top of the brake using the same (or longer) pivot bolts. They were supposed to improve braking by making the whole brake stiffer, but the effect was marginal and you will never find one now, unless you know an old fart like me, or a shop that has a lot of old vintage stuff laying around.
The other type of brake that uses the same brake boss mounting location are the old Suntour or WTB power cam brakes. Also very hard to find. Those are supposed to be very strong but hard to modulate.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
For "new" mtn brakes, you're looking for either shimano u-brakes or wtb(expensive!)/suntour roller cam brakes. I say "new" because it's been 15-20 years since they made any of these. Set up correctly, they work well! The main reason they went out of vogue was that they were usually installed on the chainstays, which crudded up with mud quickly (GT being one of the few that mounted them on the seatstays).
I'd go for some new pads before buying new brakes. There's been a number of threads on setup & use over in the vintage/retro/classic forum, as well as pantera's posted up. Check there.

The posts are NOT the same for these and regular canti/linear brakes, so they won't fit.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
gubmentcheze said:
Thanks smilinsteve for educating me.
Sure, try what I said to get some better performance and let us know how it works:

You should be able to get adequate performance out of them with new pads and the right set up. Try to shorten the length of your straddle cable, so it runs more horizontal rather than having a deep V shape.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've heard Magura hydraulic rims brakes will work with those. They're expensive,but their power is on par with some disc brakes.

Edit: it will work. I've test-fitted a set of the brakes on my Schwinn Panther with the same style mounts. The only problem was the chain and chainrings: if the rear mount is under the chainstay it might not work.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
GrampBredo said:
I've heard Magura hydraulic rims brakes will work with those. They're expensive,but their power is on par with some disc brakes.
Good call!
but, considering the whole bike cost 60 bucks.......

·
Registered
560 Posts
gubmentcheze said:
First, it's a mountain bike not a bmx bike. I wouldn't post bmx bike questions on a mountain bike forum. Second, I originally bought this bike off Craigslist because I could afford it. I had no intention of trail riding, I just needed to exercise. An injury forced me to stop running. After I bought the bike my research lead me to this site, where I became very interested in trail riding. And yes I realize I did it backwards by researching after I bought the bike, but hey it was $60 and everything worked on it, it fit me nicely, and it would serve my original purpose.
He said that because BMX bikes still use U-brakes today. He wasn't treating you like you were dumb. There are a few companies(in the BMX world) that make really nice U-brakes. Check out Fly bikes and Odyssey and you'll find a brake that'll work better than what you have and will fit your current brake bosses.

·
Live 2 Ride
6,127 Posts
First, it's a mountain bike not a bmx bike.
Yes I know. My point was that the BMX world still uses those brakes so maybe they have something better to fit your bike.

·
nubee
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kona0197 said:
Yes I know. My point was that the BMX world still uses those brakes so maybe they have something better to fit your bike.
I apologize for being snappy. I did think I was being insulted. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Good cables and low compression housings , Kool Stop brake pads and those brakes will work pretty good .

·
Live 2 Ride
6,127 Posts
gubmentcheze said:
I apologize for being snappy. I did think I was being insulted. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
Don't worry about it. I hope you find something for your bike.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Kona0197 said:
I have been riding bmx for a few years. I just tested this theory with my set of Flybikes brakes. I put them on my Pugsley bosses. BMX U brake bosses are larger in diameter than V brake/canti bosses. U brakes will not work on V brake/canti bosses. The bosses are also mounted in a different location on BMX and Mountain frames.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts