Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just found this 30 year old pic. Talk about some REALLY GOOD memories!!!

I think this pic PERFECTLY captures the FUN & EXCITEMENT of early BMX.

Look closely at the fake cannon in the turret on top of the bus!
That camo paint job is simply awesome!
That was one of the coolest BMX teams ever...now I know why I rode a SE RK Ripper!

Thanks to BOB OZBORN (OZ) & BMX ACTION magazine for those special times!!!

Let's hear those old BMX stories & see some classic pics from that era! I just found these links too:

http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index.php?act=home
http://bmxactiononline.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1
http://www.os-bmx.com/forums/index.php?
http://robertosborn.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1

Attachments

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Started riding in 1987 on a GHP Trix. rode freestyle all the way through to about junior year and a girlfirend killed the dream.

Picked up flatland about 2 years ago and never looked back. That is about a 20 year break - suprisingly a LOT of skills picked right back up!

Me then:

Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle

Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle frame

Me now:

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Tire Wheel Bicycle frame

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Jeans Bicycle Hat

Most of Nor-Cal flat will be attending the Old-School Jam at Woodward West. Most recently we rode at the Dave Vanderspek Memorial Jam at Golden Gate Park in SF.

We still have the Curb Dogs, Ron Wilkerson tears up the local skatepark, and Pete Brandt is still amazing crowds with his magical balance - there are so many other freestyle legends that are here in Nor-Cal, as well. You'd be suprised how many old school cats are still spinning 20".

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dion

Can you update everyone on the old school jam @ Woodward?

Current dates, future dates etc? Any related news is welcome.

I think there's a bunch of old riders out there who are looking to reconnect with their roots, be it Freestyle, Trick, BMX Racing or Flatland.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Sure man. You can always check my blog for those types of updates. You may have to filter through the MTB, Road, Fixed, and Moto action to get to the BMX stuff.

Here's the video from the Vanderspek Jam. I'm in there somewhere. My avatar is actually from that Jam, as well. ;)

Check out my boy Pete Brandt ride. He's almost 40, I believe.

Dave Vanderspek Memorial Ride from Chris McMahon | SJBMX on Vimeo.

The fun and excitement has never left BMX. You see somebody land something incredible or try something so out of this world (you should see what Day Smith, the guy with the dread locks in this vid, comes up with - it's mind numbing) people get PUMPED. Granted, there are some attitudes among the youngsters, but a lot of that is just testosterone angst. Us oldies have a great time and invite all skill levels to ride.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Ah - good times from a long time ago - and awesome to see the level it's all been taken to! I was lucky enough in the 80's, on the east coast - to ride with some remarkably talented guys. When Freestylin' and Club Home Boy (obviously sister publications under Osborn) called my buddy Chris Lashua to shoot some Boston stuff - we of course obliged! This shot was in Homeboy (Jonze Pic)

And I was just directed to Windy Osborn's photo page recently - and bought a print of an old photo from the same session. She and Spike Jonze were treated to the best of Boston street and the King of Flatland competition(s) - and featured a whole bunch of great riders form the region then.

Here's another form the same shoot - and I'm showing my 'namesake' move, the g-roll here:

Those skills helped lay the groundwork of a life of cycling. I tried years ago to see what I could (still) do - and nada. It was long gone. I got too old, and too reluctant to kill myself re-learning all that good stuff! I could do a rolling tailwhip and a hang-five, but that was about it. The incredible, rolling, linked stuff I see the new school guys doing blows my mind!

glen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.