Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone feel let down when they saw this add?? I was kinda a fan of 'ol stu back in the early '80's and kinda felt like he sold his soul racing for Huffy. Then I started see his signature bikes in store. One friend of mine had one. Heard he's running his own shop and that his son has made a mane for himself on the bike circuit. Anyone know about this?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
right on!

That was my third bicycle and I believe my first "full size" bike. I decked it all out with Skyway Tuffwheel II's, GT fold-up forkstands, and rear pegs. Ahh, those were the days.

Funny thing is that my dad woulda bought me a good bike from a LBS but I wanted that Huffy. At that time (3rd grade or so) I didn't have a clue that there was a difference between k-mart and an LBS.

Actually, at least a few years ago, Huffy was making some high-end 20" bikes that you couldn't buy at dept stores. They had a good reputation among my friends who are in tune to the 20" world.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I can't complian either....

My first "real" BMX was a Huffy also and for the beating I put that poor thing through it held up OK. Cracked the frame on it 3 times, put bigger cranks in it from a cruiser bike *GAWD, what WAS I thinking?!?!?!* A rear wheel that had a freewheel that I picked up at a flea market, etc. A true frank-n-bike. But at the time I loved it and it got me a few wins at the local track. I did finally save up enough paper route money to buy a DB Formula 1 BMX. My second love. :D

·
Registered
649 Posts
dir-T said:
Actually, at least a few years ago, Huffy was making some high-end 20" bikes that you couldn't buy at dept stores. They had a good reputation among my friends who are in tune to the 20" world.
I'm pretty sure they still do! I have 2 myself, one being a Primus, which is a race bike. It came stock with Profile hubs, Profile crankset, Snafu stem and Alex Supra rims. It is sweeet, plus it's one of my favourite bikes to ride.
Still amazes me that they continue to produce mostly garbage that everyone knows is garbage. I guess Joe Average doesn't care cos he gets a bike for under $100 bucks (or whatever they cost in the US).

·
Surfin' da mountain
809 Posts
Wow! That Add sure brings back a lot of memories...

Started BMX Racing in '79 on a Mongoose. The next year it was MCS. I even landed a little co-sponsorship from them (it was just a jersey & MCS Spider frame).

I remember my heart racing when Skyway came out with the factory team who all rode duplicate bikes, jerseys and with the hot new graphite tuff wheels. One of those dudes was racing in my class, 15 Expert, and I beat him in the semi-nationals. He ended the year with the #1 number plate though, I got the #3 plate that year.

Wasn't Stu riding for SE Racing before Huffy? He was a year or two older than me and only raced him in an open class when I turned semi-pro. I was smoked in that class. Those guys were fast!

Last time my heart raced like that, was waiting for my Turner to come in. It hasn't disappointed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.