Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been thinking about putting together a SS/Fixie for training on the winter roads in Reno/Tahoe. originally i was thinking about a SS cyclocross frame.... but i think i like the idea of giving some new life to an old road or touring bike frame AND saving money. my one concern is getting enough clearance for wider/beefier tires or even cyclocross tires (like 700x32).

anyhoo i though i'd seeing what folks had good luck with converting. also, if i do come across a frame... and ideas on how to measure the distances to make sure the clearance is there!?! Specific frame recommendations would be awesome for ~54cm!!!

sorry for the newbiesh questions, but it has been a long time since i bought/built a new bike together. :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SurfSailRide said:
I love the original Raleigh Grand Prix's... But one may be hard to get your hands on, since I believe they have a bit of a cult following.
ahhh.... i had one *years* ago, actually my dad had one. until it was stolen out of our garage. :mad: that was a sweet bike. that could be fun to search for another one!

·
Registered
919 Posts
I just had my LBS re-build my dad's Grand Prix with perfect condition campagnolo bike parts, the original Brooks saddle, fenders, etc. I think the whole project cost us about $350, and the thing looks SWEET (and rides great too).

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you're going fixed, try to find some short(165mm) cranks, especially if you'll be fitting 700c wheels to a frame designed for 27". One way a track bike's geometry differs from a road bike's is a taller bottom bracket to allow for more clearance between the pedal and ground. That being said, my first fixie was an old bianchi road bike that came spec'ed with 27" wheels. I ran 700c's and 170 mm cranks and just got used to smacking my pedal on turns. It's kinda scary, but rarely results in a crash.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.