Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always wanted to try a solo 24 hour race....

Prologue:
With our unseasonably dry fall / winter here in Northern New Mexico, I've been able to log substantial base mileage - both on the road bike and on the mountain bike - helping build confidence & endurance for the most intimidating bike racing venture I've ever undertaken. I've done some 4-man team races and a duo team effort - but never a solo. I was to be well looked after by my wife and pit crew - Dana, and some friends from Los Alamos who were on a 5-person 200+ (aggregate age) team looking to be competitive - but really to have some fun riding too. My buddy Mark, who raced with us last year on Team Traumatic Acid was anchoring their team (meaning: he has to do the Le Mans Start!) and got an A+ for buying the best bacon I've had in a long time. Think Pork Chop thick slices - almost - that's what we're talkin' about! I skip ahead though....
This year at Old Pueblo (OP) we were going to do it right. Get in early, stay at a hotel the night before AND after the race, visit some friends in Phoenix - and stop at Ikea for some much needed furniture buying. THEN head home on Tuesday. Nice relaxing trip - except for the actual 24+ hours of riding, that is. Dana and I rolled into the Willow Springs Ranch Venue pretty early Friday morning, securing an excellent spot for the crew adjacent to the "option" trail split / sign - at the very end of "Granite Construction Way" - which bore little resemblance to the expo area map provided.

The location worked out great, and was only about 30 meters off the trail to the "main" camp where the cars could pull up & into for convenience (the 5-person team had a pop-up camper, a big tent with a wood stove AND massage therapist on hand, a few fancy shelter structures, tents, chairs, bike stands, and so on. Oh, and the "kitchen"!!!) , and then at trailside for "solo satelite camp" where I'd have all my gear, food, and lights ready to go in an EZ-UP tent structure but still be close to that bacon. Just as we were setting up, a couple had a similar idea and we grouped our EZ-UP's for stability as it was a husband (support) and wife (solo racer) team effort as well. Ended up being a perfect spot! Not too far from the main timing tent, close to the trail, but not all the way up at "Solo Alley" which made for quite a haul for support crew to get to toilets, showers, or info. Looked like the solo ghetto was rockin' though - and there was always a cheer, day or night, when I'd fly by.

I suited up for an easy pre-ride, though I thought I ought maybe not to in an effort to conserve energy - but it was nice out and I had not ridden, at all, for two days and felt like I ought to get out and spin a bit - to calm my nerves down as much as anything, and see if there were any surprises on course. Glad I went out! Not too far into my pre-ride lap, I came up on some familiar folks from NM and we set a nice pace - sort of easy tempo so we could talk and all, but moving quick enough to be riding. Approaching the last climb, a bit before the dirt road crossing, the pre-ride paid for itself - where an arroyo had eroded away a bit of a drop (2 feet maybe?) that was a little nasty, as it was around a half blind corner and dumped you into the softest sand out on the course - forcing you to slog through about 20 meters of it before emerging at the other side. It was good to know where to downshift prior to that corner - as it was one of those spots it'd be easy to carry too much speed heading in - especially at night, and end up stuck, in too big a gear, or off your bike entirely if not careful. Relatively easy in the daylight while feeling fresh, but I bet there were some choice words uttered here during the race; day and night... otherwise, the course was FAST and furious. And dusty.

Got back, met up with the rest of the crew, set up camp and headed off to dinner, then to the hotel for an early night. The weather was behaving - just - and it did spit some rain here and there, but evaporated after all of 30 seconds on the ground.... Forecasts were still looking good - if a little chilly, but the threat of rain was minimal at best, thankfully. Got a good nights' sleep, woke up, showered (nice way to start a race day!) and headed out to the races. The breakfast gang was at work brewing fresh espresso (smelled damned good - but alas, no more coffee for me...), making those slabs of bacon and some excellent green chile scrambled eggs, and some warm tortillas. Yum! This is exactly the fuel I've "practiced" utilizing prior to LONG training rides, so without hesitation I dug in. I knew that the first lap or two I may "feel it" a little bit, but the pay-off later, with all that good, slow-burning protein and fat, would be long lasting energy. I'll take it! Snacked on some other stuff too, and got to that level of full where it doesn't feel "over full" and knew I was ready to go.

Breakfast / camp:

Yum!

By 10AM it was warming up slowly, but getting windier - so I went for knee warmers, bibs, short sleeves and arm warmers when I got dressed. Pulled the down coat on over everything to stay toasty - and headed down to the timing tent to check in and rack up the bike along the dirt road we'd come running down, en masse, at the start. This is usually the location for mass mania - but I approached it in as much of a zen state as I could... Got a good enough spot near the front 1/3rd of the racks and headed up to the starting point with the hundreds of other freaks. This time, per the sage advice of an mtbr.com buddy (thanks Matt!) I brought a pair of those little tri-pod style folding stools. One for me, one for Dana. We found a great spot not too far from the front and parked our butts down. We sure got a lot of looks... but man, we were both going to be using our legs for the next 24+ hours, so getting off them for that 20 - 25 or so minutes seemed prudent. Then, a few minutes prior to the start, we got up, I gave Dana my coat - and decided to shed the knee and arm warmers as it felt damn warm now, and handed them to her as she scooted out of the way of the many hundreds of crazed bikers ready to (try and) run for a 1/4 mile!

Getting their game on:

Goal: 18 laps, 20 if all systems are a go!

Lap 1
I guess all the shenanigans chasing the dog at the dog park had helped; the gun shot was heard and off we went - running at a moderate pace down the dirt road towards the bikes & expo area. I felt fine - trotting at a faster than jogging pace, but not all-out running (like I even can anyhow - ha!) and in no time got my bike (get outta my way you with the camera!) and headed up the road, repeating last years' tactic of speeding up pretty quick, getting by the bulk of the slower riders / faster runners as soon as possible, as folks were bogging down on the first big set of rollers - affectionately known as the b1tches (plural - as in 7 of them) where I was able to stand up and power over the tops with good momentum and fly on the speedy rocky in-between areas, fully launching the bump on the fifth one and landing uphill quite a ways. Yeee Haaww!!!! It is ON. After the b1tches, the dirt road mellows out - albeit into a headwind at this point - and is all big-ring tempo riding. I'd fall in behind someone for a bit, then come around and move on up to the next person - and so on, until we hit the end and did a funky 3-point turn about, fully reversing direction briefly - then headed out onto the trails to the right. The key on a course like this was to ride efficiently - a lesson learned and preached by a good friend and racer mentor - so as the dirt road descended towards this first section of trail, I'd get rolling pretty fast so as to shoot through the bottom of it, and have enough momentum to propel me up the 100 - 150 meters out of it with some easy pedaling. Of course if someone was in the way, I'd have to get creative on line choice and give adequate warning to the racer ahead, or hold off. Things were so spread out by now, traffic wasn't an issue at all at this point though. It was fun to rail the course at endurance race pace, but not full on XC race pace. It was mostly well bedded in, hardpack, and FAST! The softer/rockier/technical areas were relatively short and painless and broke up the course into distinct sections. Dirt road - eat. Singletrack - ride hard, focus - repeat 3 times more or less - making nutrition a relative non-issue if you remembered it! Anyhow, feel GREAT - Went out moderate with some fast efforts, but NOTHING too hard. Fun! Hey - What the hell? Tinker can still blow by all of us WITH a bent rear wheel and disk brake rotor dragging along - we're truly not worthy. Maybe he ought to deflate his tires as well. Wait!!! Oh yeah? Then I passed him back - HA! BOOYA!!!! (He was in his pit having his rear wheel changed at the time). Toss 1st bottle off at pit and load 2nd one from jersey pocket into water bottle cage.
One down; 17 to 19 more to go. I figured that the winners in the holy hell of last year did 16 laps - 18 ought to be reasonable this year. So 18 was my goal, 20 on a perfect day....
Lap Time: 1:00:16 / Event Time: 1:00:16 PM

Lap 2
Feeling great - still going fast, will have to settle down soon though. Second lap whizzes by in a flash. Stop at pit area and pick up fresh bottle of drink, and fresh GU flask. Off I go! I'm in good position and feeling fantastic thus far. Able to ride at a moderate race-pace; most all of the lap below, with brief encounters at, threshold. Perfect! I can do this for a LONG time. I've trained for it - I'm ready. All systems are firing as they should be now.
Two down; 16 to 18 to go. Still the target - still well, WELL within reach at this early, early time.
Lap Time: 1:04:58 / Event Time: 2:05:14 PM

Lap 3
Wow. These first three laps have vaporized without a trace of any fatigue. Just getting a little cooler out - need to put on warmer top next lap and take HR Monitor chest strap off - never registered on the monitor on the first lap anyhow! Time to think about eating real food soon....
Three down; 15 to 17 to go - maybe more!
Lap Time: 1:09:49 / Event Time: 3:15:04 PM

Lap 4
Lap four went by fast and fun too. Noted slower time, but still feel great and going at a sustainable pace. Forgot to put on warmer clothes - but did grab a fresh GU flask, some Cliff Blocks and fresh drink. Clothing goof up was a bit of a mistake for sure though, as the wind seems like it's cutting through me at the far end of the front side of the course. Brrr! This time, stop and take time to put on warmer clothes - long sleeve jersey and leg warmers, and remove HR monitor chest strap. Ah! Much better now.... roll on down to Transition Tent for #5. Bring it on!
Four down; 14 to 16 to go - oh hell yeah!
Lap Time: 1:12:36 / Event Time: 4:27:40 PM

Lap 5
OK, it's cold - I should have put on warmer gear than I had just done, and paid for it. I got downright cold as the sun started it's final descent and I knew I'd pay later for that. Hopefully not too much though. Crank out the lap just fine, but go into Alert Level Orange and conserve some energy for warmth - drafting a few folks here and there - despite slowing up a bit. Still a LONG way to go! Be smart, stay warm.... This time at the pit, I eat some cookies and Cliff Blocks and Fritos, put on good wind front tights and fresh shorts, a couple of layers on top, beanie on head, get lights on and am good-to-go, again.
Five down; 13 starts to seem like it'd be a lot more to do - but yet, it is still early - stick to the plan and keep pit stops as efficient as they have been and no problem. 15 more? Maybe.... Start wondering a little bit as I do lap average times/count calculations in my head.
Lap Time: 1:26:59 / Event Time 5:54:40 PM

Lap 6
Booya! Twilight lap felt good - went out and turned a nice lap and got used to the dual HID light set-up. Yow. If you race 24 hours solo, use dual HID's. Makes things a whole lot simpler. I'd blow by, absolutely BLOW by folks who appeared to be stuck in reverse on some sections - because I felt good, was warm, and could see EVERYTHING! The bar mount light cast great shadows for depth perception and the helmet mount filled in all the gaps. Perfect. Come in for a quick pit - grab a bottle with just water in it and head out again. Have had a bit of a side-stitch in my right abdomen area for a while now, and figure some straight water will help.

Six down; 12 - 14 more to go. Sure! Why not?
Lap Time: 1:14:17 / Event Time 7:08:57 PM

(continued....)

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Old Pueblo continued...

Lap 7
Lucky seven proves to be very much not so lucky. In an effort to dilute GU a bit more while riding, I bobble the flask in the process and drop the flask cap and need to go back and find it. And rinse out the cap - with my water... and use about 1/2 the dang water rinsing the sand out of it - at the beginning of the lap no less. Ack. Hop on bike and roll out. While the water feels good and clean going down, I start feeling rather depleted soon thereafter. So I slow down - which was easy as this lap it seems like there's an inordinate amount of traffic all of a sudden (maybe because I don't have the same passing pep I had a couple of laps ago!). I churn through most of the lap OK, but on the last / main climb feel a weird sensation / pain in my right knee. Must be the I.T. Band as it feels like someone plucking steel cables pulled tight along the outside, making it really hard to pedal - especially when standing, as it feels like it'll pop out of whack. The other body parts to start feeling it, so to speak, was my hands and wrists. It was becoming increasingly difficult to find a position on the bars that did not hurt. Either it aggravated my palm / outer hand area, or my forearms & wrists. Time for a real off-bike break, and some hot soup. Roll down into pit area, get off bike, clean chain for the first time (ahhhh......) and sit down and eat some soup, some more fritos, and drink some vanilla flavor Ensure - yum. Adjust clothing to get my upper body as warm as I can but still can't find the gloves I hoped I had brought....
Seven down - is that enough yet? All of a sudden, this solo stuff seems HARD.
Lap Time: 1:42:43 / Event Time: 8:51:40 PM

Cool twilight shot:

Lap 8
After the lap 7 reprieve and regroup, lap 8 felt pretty good. Took it easy, started adding a little "recovery" drink mix into the water bottle and not only did it taste pretty good, it eased up the the wee bit of side-stitchy / crampy feeling I'd had for a while. Started really grooving on the course at night and saw a pack of coyotes run across the trail ahead of me - then proceed to make the insane howling / calling noises a moment later. Cool. After a quick pit stop - found some crappy but relatively warm winter gloves - though not at all designed for cycling, and headed out for lap number nine...
Eight Down - having a tough time staying warm as soon as I stop. Maybe the sun will come up at 2:30 am today! Starting to accept that 10 more might be reaching a bit - but vowed to hang in there.
Lap Time: 1:23:53 / Event Time: 10:15:33 PM

Lap 9
This is where things get a little blurry, and extremely painful. As the lap progressed it started feeling as though both my knees were coming apart - the strain felt at the outsides of them, again I assume along the IT bands, was extreme. Not only did it feel like rusty steel cables pulled tight, but rusty steel cables pulled tight AND rubbing up and down and back and forth! OwOwOwOw. Standing up to pedal to give thy ass, thy quads, and thy back a change/break was out of the question. So, suffering in the saddle was the M.O. approaching the climb at the end of the lap, which meant I had to use the (gasp!) granny gear for the first time in the race! Not so bad I thought at first, except that it made the climb that much slower - not so good. The question was more pain over less time (bigger gear and some standing), or Sustained slightly lesser pain for longer time (staying in the saddle). I upshifted and tried to stand and pedal - and just about went over the bars as my knees sort of buckled, making me lean forward to get weight off them - then slam back into the seat and downshift. Granny Gear is my FREIND now. The idea of calling it quits entered my mind instantly - or at least sleeping until dawn, or maybe heading into Tucson proper for a late night beer and a hotel bed! Or checking out as soon as I crested the climb and wobbled back to camp. Got back to the pit area and Dana could tell I was coming apart, as I almost couldn't unclip as it hurt to twist my knee so much, so I sort of grabbed the table and leaned on it for a moment, then got my feet out OK at last. Clipping in was gonna suck - if I bothered to do so again. Now I sat down and bundled up and she had some Ramen Noodles cooking in the pot. After eating a bit, and now taking a hefty dose of Vitamin I (Ibuprofen) I waited for what I thought would be a nasty stomach issue - that never materialized. I hobbled over to the massgae goddess tent, enetered and laid down on the floor next to the wood stove that had the tent nice and toasty. My buddy Fernando was being worked on, so I was happy to kill some time, feet up, relaxed, and letting the Ibuprofen kick in. When it was my turn, I described the various maladies to my late night friend, and she went to work. Maybe 25-30 minutes later, in a radically altered and relaxed state - I actually felt OK. I headed back up to my staging area, started doing this little excercise she told me to try - lifting your left knee and patting/slapping it with your right hand - then vice-a-versa. Supposed to get the brain going as it takes both left and right sides equally firing to coordinate this seemingly simple task. So, with the slow lap time (riding maybe 1:30 or so), the food and rest and Ibuprofen round, and the massage, and then the time to get geared back up - took a 3 1/2 hour toll on my overall standings. I think this was where I slipped from 3rd place to 7th or so.

Nine Down - no idea realistically how many more I may have. 2 or 3 for sure. 9? No way in hell, unless I start taking some serious drugs.
Lap Time: 3:30:14 / Event Time: 1:45:47 AM

Lap 10
Going as easy as was humanly possible - sort of a "recovery lap" I felt so-so. Knees felt pretty good, and hands were only moderately painful.
Ten Down - Maybe 1 more...? 8 more? Dunno 'bout THAT!
Lap Time: 1:44:47 / Event Time: 3:30:35

Lap 11
The wheels officially "come off the cart now" lap. I put a fresh battery from the L&M guys on the bike for the loaner bar-mount set-up, and a freshly charged battery in my jersey pocket for my helmet light - and off I go. 5 minutes into the lap the just-received bar light battery goes out. Huh. Maybe some sort of mix up at the table during hand off... oh well. Glad my helmet light is firing fresh and strong, and that I was carrying an old battery pack for it as a back-up back-up. In the meantime I was hitting my extreme low point in the race - mentally, physically, and worst - thermally. I was cold and could not get warm, despite any hard efforts (well, hard being relative at this point). I seriously should have ridden with my down jacket on. I was riding as much of the course no-handed as I simply could not bear touching the handlebars anymore. Yikes. Worst, the cumulative discomforts were seriously draining my usual upbeat and can-do approach to all thing biking - a true rarity. I'd say it was 3/4's of the way through this lap where I 'foundered on my era of limits' and was accepting the fact that I'd likely not be continuing on after I came in this time. To make it worse, my "freshly" charged, like new NiMH battery for my helmet light died! Something was up at the charging station indeed. I popped my reserve one in - seriously challenging my diminished problem solving & mental capacity at this point, hit the climb and descended directly into my sleeping bag, eating some, feet up on a chair tucked deep into previously noted sleeping bag and fell almost immediately into an immensely relieving drool-inducing slumber. I couldn't imagine getting back on the bike except at 12:00:01 to check out and be done with my 11 laps. The problem here is that even if I wanted to go out - I couldn't, as I'd not have the battery juice to last 1/2 a lap. Darn - I guess I'll have to chill then! WoooHooo! Beer perhaps...? Hmmm - not just yet.

Eleven Down - might be an empty tank here. Dawn will tell, as will the accumulated pain.
Lap: (Eat and sleep time too): 4:15:47 / Event Time: 7:46:23
What next?

I woke up after about 45 - 60 minutes of said drool-inducing slumber feeling remarkably refreshed, and relatively able to move about. Cold as a muthafluckah - but saw movement at base camp. I wander over - the team is rallying and cranking out some consistent times, and holding up far better than I. The sky was breaking, the stoves were running and eggs & bacon were on. NOW I was getting in rally mode again, and had to do at least one more lap - but only after some real breakfast food this time. Chowed down some more slabs of bacon, a pile of eggs, and a couple of tortillas and man! I was getting cranked up. Hobbled back over to the pit area, got dressed again (um, took down coat off and kept all warm bike clothes on) and rolled down "the option" for the 11th time. Hey! Other people are alive now too!

Lap 12
Check through the timing tent - and Todd Sadow, the Promoter is there, egging on the dude on the PA and the "crowd" as I roll in and trot over to the table - and jog out the other side. Between the breakfast and the sunlight and the signs of life returning to the venue - I'm on fire and feel great! Knees and hands are a little tender, but it's now easier to focus on racing and riding - no more dark tunnel vision light powered trail riding, the temps were coming up and I wasn't totally freezing. Yay! I do the lap so fast no one is at my pit area, so I just grab another bottle of GU and some more Cliff Blocks and head out. I tell our neighbor that I'm stoked and feel great - he notes that "the sun will do that!" Too true...

Twelve down - can I eek out 1 or 2 more? Maybe...
Lap Time: 1:11:55 / Event Time: 8:58:18

Lap (lucky) 13
Well shoot - I feel dang good. I also feel bummed that I lost so much ground over the night with my two extended breaks - but so goes this learning adventure. Grab some more diluted "recovery" drink, a fresh GU flask, and yet more Cliff Blocks (those things are GOOD!) and am off again. These last laps are a blur - and all I keeep thinking about is how incredible it was that last year, on the same course but in such horrendous conditions my good buddy Sportsman rocked 16 freakin' laps on a SS and included some mechanical issues.... incredibly impressive and humbling. No way was I going to be able to sneak THREE more before noon and hit 16, so the best I figured I could do was complete #13 and do a beer lap for # 14. Sounds OK now!

Thirteen down and getting warm outside, at last.
Lap Time: 1:12:34 / Event Time: 10:10:52 AM

Lap 14
Still turning the cranks over just fine now and start getting ticked off that I hadn't gotten on the bike 40 minutes or so earlier at that dawn juncture - as I'd have been able to sneak in a 16th lap most likely - oh well. Of course, taking the time to eat and recover might have been the reason I was doing great now. I do realize that there is no reason to not do a 15th lap as well, and am happy to be feeling relatively good pushing a consistent tempo. Funny, no one is going nearly as fast as I am - and when I approach, most folks pull over, heads shaking and watch my better-late-than-never attempt. Such is life.
Lap Time: 1:13:04 / Event time: 11:23:56 AM

Lap 15
No beer for me my wife says, as there's a couple of folks including myself all tied up in 5th or so position - and so she says go and race the last lap as hard as I can. I say "well shoot, OK!!!" Off I go, hard charging and feeling still better yet. Now the remaining folks I come by out on course are a bedraggled bunch. I'm middle and big ringing up all the B1tches and flat out flying, er, all things considered anyhow. Chug more drink mix and GU, steam onto the singletrack and hammer away. Maintain a solid pace - pushing freakin hard with every ounce I have left and start worrying about blowing up before the last climb, but figure screw it - this is the real test now, and I'll make the best of it while I'm at it. I manage to drink a whole bottle on the way to the base of the climb, and consume 1/2 a flask of GU and still feel OK, so screw it! I hammer the climb - standing a lot of the way, hit the saddle at the top of the trail and absolutely blast down the course to the end.
Lap Time: 1:07:01 / Event Time: 12:30:58 PM
15 laps - 225 miles - aprx. 15,000 feet of climbing. *whew*

Done!

Seems I came mighty close to reeling in 4th place as he beat me by 20 seconds. Wow. Had I not forgotten my helmet at the start of lap 12 and had to waste 5-6 minutes going up to the camp, then back down through the venue to get to the exit side of the timing tent to start that lap.... ah, it's history now! I figured (as some others may have too...) I was left for dead just before dawn, and had plummeted through the rankings to boot. It felt good to go rip off a bunch of fast and consistent laps to finish things off.

In retrospect, I feel like a small part of the failures in the middle of the night were mental - maybe 10% to 20%, but enough to nudge the resistance factor to intense pain up a notch and made me get off the bike. The question will always be in my mind as to whether or not I gained or lost overall. Had I pushed on maybe I'd have so fully snapped I'd not be able to have pressed on later and would have ended up with LESS laps. Or, had I struggled, endured, and beat the crap out of myself yet more (and found another battery dammit!) - maybe I'd have gotten to sunrise with another lap or three under my belt - and a whole other view of the leaders - not including Tinker - as if he even had sniffed anyone getting near him, I'm sure he had popped a couple more laps for posterity. I suspect that I was at some risk of blowing to the point of no return though, and will see how to adjust to avoid the problems I had. For one thing - it seems like popping some Ibuprofen more regularly would have helped some, and I'm not sure if there are any supplements that bolster joint performance durning such intense duress - but if so, they'd likely have helped a bunch.

What was remarkable was that my bike, the new 2006 Yeti ASR-SL worked flawlessly until the last 100 meters of the last lap, when I whacked a rock sort of sideways and broke a spoke! (How's that Matt?) Otherwise the new bike kicked some serious booty and kept feeling like she was ready for more. My legs always felt good - as did my back and other areas that sometimes "act up" at longer events. Best of all, my wife - a first time solo-supporter, was on the money every lap with the right food, clothes, drinks, advice, event placing updates, battery wrangler, and of course just being there and being herself - making me press on when I may have been wavering, making me laugh when I was grim, and giving me something to race around the course to get back to. That was the best part of the whole race, in fact. Pretty lucky fella indeed.

glen

Ever patient Dana (and the photographer too!)

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Awesome effort!!

Nice work, Glen. I really enjoyed the write-up. How in the heck do you remember all that went on for each lap? Do you take notes?

I'll have to check out those Cliff Blocks. I like Cliff Bars but they take too long to choke down during a race.

This is great writing and riding:
"Off I go, hard charging and feeling still better yet. Now the remaining folks I come by out on course are a bedraggled bunch. I'm middle and big ringing up all the B1tches and flat out flying, er, all things considered anyhow. Chug more drink mix and GU, steam onto the singletrack and hammer away. Maintain a solid pace - pushing freakin hard with every ounce I have left and start worrying about blowing up before the last climb, but figure screw it - this is the real test now, and I'll make the best of it while I'm at it. I manage to drink a whole bottle on the way to the base of the climb, and consume 1/2 a flask of GU and still feel OK, so screw it! I hammer the climb - standing a lot of the way, hit the saddle at the top of the trail and absolutely blast down the course to the end."

·
AZ MTBR
318 Posts
Congrats Glen

Great write up Glen and awesome job on your first 24 hr solo race. I was there also
but i was on a 5 person co-ed team. We only completed 17 laps. You almost did more
than us. My best lap time was 1:14, you rocked that most of the time. I could never
do solo. You are the Man.... I camped next to a couple of guys from ABQ that did
the duo. They were some funny fella's and pretty similar to your lap times, but they
only did 13 laps i think.

Later,
Johnny K

Attachments

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
Nice effort and write up glen. Race season has started so spring must be officially in the air. About damn time too. Now if only the time would change then all would be right with the world.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,181 Posts
Outstanding 1st solo effort, Glen! You should have stayed for the awards!

Wish we would have hooked up to say hi, but I guess we were all *sorta* busy this past weekend :) . I would have loved to have met your wife. Congrats to her too on your effort, because as you found out - support is half of the equation to a successful solo race.

To see my coverage of the race from the perspective of a support person, check out http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=167675

Happy trails,
Kathleen

·
the cool nerd
8,643 Posts
most excellent race and write-up Glen!

and awesome pictures! (pass the word on...)

Great reports are worth waiting for, so I'm kicking myself for my impatience.

I agree with krob, how the hell do you remember those details? I was always pleasantly surprised to retain the capacity to remember everyone's name in my pit area, much less anything about the course...

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
nice job glen!!

those late night/early morning laps are the worst. i can remember pitting for a soloist and literally having to push him out of the chair to get him out for his 4am lap. then i walked the first 1/2 mile of the lap (and the next 2 laps after that) with him. it was brutal to watch.

from personal experience, i've had the 3 am lap in every 24 hr race i've done and both the 3 am and the dawn lap in the last race i did. pain seems to be amplified at night. must be something about those monsters that normally hide under your bed and in your closet at night. when you race they come with you and move into your knees and brain. evil monsters! :mad: ;) but the sun has the astounding effect of chasing them away. that first full sun lap is like being reborn. :)

be careful with that vitamin I. i read somewhere that it inhibits recovery but was never clear if that meant recovery while on the bike or recovery after the even is over. probably should have done more research to follow up but decided just to cut out the vit. I before races.

sounds like you're off to a great start to the season. i'll live vicariously thru you for the next few weeks (my first race isn't till 3/18 and it's a ss race. my first real XC race isn't till the beginning of april).

congrats again! maybe i'll make it to mammoth this year??! ;)

rt

·
Preemptive Revenger
867 Posts
thanks for sharing!

I've been eagerly awaiting to hear about your experience. As usual, you kicked butt!

Did your support crew enjoy the weekend?

PS - I'm sure Forkboy has already read your review, but he hasn't responded because he's sawing logs...

PPS - In my limited endurance racing, I have (in hindsight) learned to associate feeling tired and slow vs feeling good at various points in the race to be correlated to how well I am eating. (And we all know it is hard to eat well during a race). Can you make this assocation over the weekend as well?

·
the cool nerd
8,643 Posts
*rt* said:
my first race isn't till 3/18 and it's a ss race. my first real XC race isn't till the beginning of april
dooohhhhh...

what you meant to say is...

my first race is on 3/18, but then I get to recover through a race with gears in the beginning of April...

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Thanks for the race report Glen. What I am trying to figure out is how you can put a nice race report together which must have taken 90 minutes and yet not stayed for the podium which was maybe 90 minutes from your finish. BTW I was standing behind you at the L&M booth before the race and recognized your name when I picked up my light. I did meet "Mike" from NM and he knocked off 11 laps. Must be something in the water in NM.

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
glenzx said:
Lap 7
Lucky seven proves to be very much not so lucky.
Wow.

Nice work Glen!

That's some pretty good lap time consistency - your last 3 laps are almost the same average time as your first three.

Those liquid Ibuprofen tablets are the way to go. When I do my 6-day 450 mile road rides I pop those about every two hours - makes a huge difference.

Great write-up. Dana did a great job with some of those shots too.

The best part of the story is the one that isn't there. No problems with the Yeti, Eh? One chain cleaning. No catastrophic fork explosions?

It's gonna be a great summer.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
KRob said:
Nice work, Glen. I really enjoyed the write-up. How in the heck do you remember all that went on for each lap? Do you take notes?

I'll have to check out those Cliff Blocks. I like Cliff Bars but they take too long to choke down during a race.
Thanks KRob. Not sure how I remembered all that stuff - as some things stick and others don't. I figured I left out a lot more than I actually included! The laps were sort of distinct in that the earlier / daytime laps were a certain "type", then the night laps had their own personality, then the morning laps were distinctive in that "it's almost over!" way.

As for those Cliff Electrolyte blocks - they are GOOD! Soft, chewy, just tangy enough to make ya produce a little extra saliva, helping get 'em down. Sort of like "good" gummy bears!

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JJK said:
Great write up Glen and awesome job on your first 24 hr solo race. I was there also but i was on a 5 person co-ed team. We only completed 17 laps. You almost did more
than us. My best lap time was 1:14, you rocked that most of the time. I could never
do solo. You are the Man.... I camped next to a couple of guys from ABQ that did
the duo. They were some funny fella's and pretty similar to your lap times, but they
only did 13 laps i think.

Later,
Johnny K
Thanks Johnny! There were a LOT of NM folks out there indeed. 1:14 is nothin to sniff at, by the way. That is a fast lap for sure. Congrats on the effort - and sounds like your team stayed pretty consistent to reel off 17 laps. We were lucky the rain never materialized - though if it had made it warmer at night, I may have made the trade.

·
Registered
487 Posts
The first race report from Glenzx...I've sure missed those(and rt's too). Awesome write up, as usual, and congratulations on your performance AND slugging thru what sounds like a very tough time!

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
akitadogg said:
That was a fantastic write-up.....you are the man
Thanks akita - it's been a while and it felt good to both race AND do the mtbr.com write up "thing" for the gang!

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.