Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 282 Posts

·
Retro on Steroids
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been rooting through my voluminous files lately looking for stuff to entertain this forum. A few days ago I came across an envelope with photos I haven't seen in over 20 years.

There were photos of my Breezer #2 in mint condition, one of Alan Bonds' awesome klunkers, and some negatives that I could tell from the size were from Gary Fisher's Hasselblad camera.

Here are a few of them. I'll post more down the thread if these are well received.

The Breezer:

This was a contact print, but because it was from the large format Hasselblad negative, I was able to get a halfway decent scan. This is one of the nine bikes that Tom Ritchey fronted to Gary and me in September of 1979, and which we used to start our business. The photo was taken in what would have been the "dining room" if a normal family had lived in the house at 1320 San Anselmo Avenue, but served us as the shop before we rented a commercial space two blocks away.

Thank Hewlitt-Packard for scanners! Years ago I would have had to trudge to the photo store and have these developed, only to find that most of them were out of focus or badly lit. This one wasn't. Gary took this photo of me on his bike, one of Tom's first run of three mountain bikes built in early 1979. Purists will note that the t-shirt is the same one that Billy Savage is wearing on the cover of Decline Magazine.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
That's new desktop wallpaper for me!

The first 9 Tom built bikes. Where are they now? All accounted for, or just a few with their whereabouts known?

Fantastic pictures! I how we get to see more.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Those are great pics!

You can really see the modern mountain bike evolve from clunker to a true purpose built mountain bike at that moment. I'd say those design were copied for at least a decade or more without major changes from that point forward.

thanks for posting those.:thumbsup:

·
artistic...
7,597 Posts
i'm not joking: i can't see any pics CK posts. firefox on mac here. what gives?:madman: :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman:

·
velocipede technician
8,877 Posts
colker1 said:
i'm not joking: i can't see any pics CK posts. firefox on mac here. what gives?:madman: :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman: :madman:
can you see mine?maybe its not your computer

·
artistic...
7,597 Posts
i see your breezer and not CK's.

·
Retro on Steroids
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hollister said:
anybody know how many came with truss forks?
One. That's Joe's Breezer #1. All the rest, mine included, came with Red Line forks and were nickel-plated instead of painted. Did anyone notice that the seatpost is Campy micro-adjusting?

As far as where the Ritchey bikes went, I know where two of them are. Fred Wolf still has his. One of the others was sold to my uncle, and a few years ago I took it to Tom to see what he would give him for it. Thomas Frischknecht traded my uncle straight across for one of his full-race top of the line bikes.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,648 Posts
Repack Rider said:
As far as where the Ritchey bikes went, I know where two of them are. Fred Wolf still has his. One of the others was sold to my uncle, and a few years ago I took it to Tom to see what he would give him for it. Thomas Frischknecht traded my uncle straight across for one of his full-race top of the line bikes.

Frishi got the better end of the deal. :smilewinkgrin:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I certainly don't mean any disrespect to a legend and pioneer of the sport but aren't the forks on the early bikes made by Cook Bros? They are dead ringers for my two sets of CBR forks from the era.

1 - 20 of 282 Posts