Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Something goes here...
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an older steel roadie for commuting. It has a quill stem so I'm looking for a place in town that may have a quill to threadless adapter laying around or possible just a longer quill stem (but prefer the adapter). Where I used to live, there was a cool retro shop that sold all kinds of old parts and bikes. Very cool place and you never knew what you'd find.

So anyone know of a place in the valley that may have a quill to threadless adapter?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Crash_FLMB said:
I just picked up an older steel roadie for commuting. It has a quill stem so I'm looking for a place in town that may have a quill to threadless adapter laying around or possible just a longer quill stem (but prefer the adapter). Where I used to live, there was a cool retro shop that sold all kinds of old parts and bikes. Very cool place and you never knew what you'd find.

So anyone know of a place in the valley that may have a quill to threadless adapter?

Thanks
I have a Schwinn Le Tour that I actually used to ride before the Mountain Bike disease took hold. It also has a quill stem (still), and there was a time I was thinking about getting new bars and wanted to convert. I know the Performance Bike shop in Peoria stocked the adapter at the time.

·
wawe member
892 Posts
Crash_FLMB said:

Thanks
These are still available from distributors. Your local shop could order you one if they didn't have it, just give them the QBP part #. They come in 1"quill/1"Threadless, 1"quill/1 1/8"threadless and 1 1/8"/1 1/8".

Most likely you need 1"/1 1/8"

QBP has both of these in stock:

Dimension Steerer Adaptor 1" quill to 1-1/8" Threadless Black (# SM1998)
Grey Cable Synthetic rubber Wire

Profile Design Conversion 1"/1/18" Polished Silver (# SM6401)
White Black Grey Silver Cutlery

·
Something goes here...
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, that's what I'm looking for. I'd rather just pick one up than order it.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
You're still in Phoenix??

I have a too-long quill stem on my fixie. I got a shorter one several years ago at one of Cactus Joe's swap meets, but I have not yet changed it out. Getting the bullhorn bar on and off is a total PITA. If you help me wrestle the long one off, then you are welcome to it. No, it is not the adapter you were looking for, but it should work depending on what bar you will be using.

·
Something goes here...
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DurtGurl said:
You're still in Phoenix??

I have a too-long quill stem on my fixie. I got a shorter one several years ago at one of Cactus Joe's swap meets, but I have not yet changed it out. Getting the bullhorn bar on and off is a total PITA. If you help me wrestle the long one off, then you are welcome to it. No, it is not the adapter you were looking for, but it should work depending on what bar you will be using.
HA! Yep, still here for the foreseeable future.

I'm booked until next week but this sounds like a plan. Even if it's too long for mine, I'll gladly wrestle that thing. I'm looking at bullhorns too but being a project bike, it'll take a little time.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
Crash_FLMB said:
HA! Yep, still here for the foreseeable future.

I'm booked until next week but this sounds like a plan. Even if it's too long for mine, I'll gladly wrestle that thing. I'm looking at bullhorns too but being a project bike, it'll take a little time.
Next weekend could work. Stay in touch!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
If durtgurls doesn't work, " try me bikes " at 15 ave and Hatcher has some old stuff,
There is a little shop just east of 7st/Dunlap on the north side that has A TON of old parts, kind of a bike junk yard. Emphasis on junk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.