Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend as I was cleaning out the closet, I found a old NIB Giro E2 helmet that I bought back in 2002 as a backup. It's never been used or removed from it's box. Do you think its safe to use still? :confused:
-nuts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I thought you were supposed to replace a helmet every 3 or maybe 5 years. (Something to do with UV light breaking down the materials perhaps?) But if its never been out of the box and fits good I would probably rock it.

·
I live to bike
2,429 Posts
spazzy said:
I thought you were supposed to replace a helmet every 3 or maybe 5 years. (Something to do with UV light breaking down the materials perhaps?) But if its never been out of the box and fits good I would probably rock it.
but if it's been in a box in dry closet, I don't think you'll have to worry about UV light breaking down the foam. I imagine it would be fine. 'Course, I'm still wearing a 5 year old helmet that I've worn almost daily.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
UV breaking down a helmet is pretty much BS. Styrofoam is very stable, and UV doesn't penetrate significantly past the shell. At least, that's what I recall from www.helmet.org.

The replacement time recommendations from manufacturers, if they exist, is just marketing or CYA stuff.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
I'd definitely use it.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
I'd use it...

I replace helmets when I break them or they break down. A NIB helmet hasn't been broken. Structurally, it's sound.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Nuts said:
Last weekend as I was cleaning out the closet, I found a old NIB Giro E2 helmet that I bought back in 2002 as a backup. It's never been used or removed from it's box. Do you think its safe to use still? :confused:
-nuts
Any electric motors or a water heater in the closet? If so, they can produce ozone that can break down the foam. If not, the helmet is probably OK to use. I would check to see if the foam seems extra crunchy or fragile.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Jwiffle said:
but if it's been in a box in dry closet, I don't think you'll have to worry about UV light breaking down the foam. I imagine it would be fine. 'Course, I'm still wearing a 5 year old helmet that I've worn almost daily.
and the UV light claim is BS anyway. The reason helmet makers recommend new helmets periodically is to sell more helmets (though one could argue that if a helmet has been in use for 5 years, it's probably suffered a knock that compromised it, whether you realize or not).

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've been lucky enough to find a NIB E2 helmet for sale locally each year for the last few years and have had no problems. I'd use it, if you want to make sure though send it to me and I'll let ya know :D The E2 is my favorite MTB helmet to date.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the reassurance guys. The helmet was purchased as a back up when they were on sale for like $60 apiece and was stored in my bedroom closet so no water heaters or such. I'll be rockin' this helmet starting this spring. :thumbsup: Now I need to look for a helmet on sale again for a back up...
-nuts

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Nuts said:
Thanks for the reassurance guys. The helmet was purchased as a back up when they were on sale for like $60 apiece and was stored in my bedroom closet so no water heaters or such. I'll be rockin' this helmet next season. :thumbsup:
-nuts
Do you need someone to put this on their calendar & remind you?

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Nuts said:
Thanks for the reassurance guys. The helmet was purchased as a back up when they were on sale for like $60 apiece and was stored in my bedroom closet so no water heaters or such. I'll be rockin' this helmet next season. :thumbsup:
-nuts
Do you need someone to put this on their calendar & remind you?

:p

·
NMBP
2,159 Posts
I was wearing a Rudy Project helmet that I had just taken out of the box. The Rudy rep saw me wearing it and said that I shouldn't be using it. I explained that it had been in a box in a cold dark closet. He said that it didn't matter. I kept wearing the helmet.

If the manufacture feels that this is truly important, helmets should come with expiration dates.

·
Jonesin'
293 Posts
This thread inspired me to look in my closets, but all I found were clothes I never wear, and dust bunnies.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts