Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 384 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
40,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1990s Neon colors & Bar Ends for bikes:
The dominant youth clothing fad at the beginning of the 1990s was fluorescent or dark colors[citation needed]. Fluorescent clothing was associated with cool, summer themes like surfing and the beach. The five fluorescent colors were blue, green, orange, pink, and yellow.
Fluorescent clothing was especially popular with teenage and pre-teen girls, but fluorescent t-shirts and shorts were also popular with boys. Fluorescent clothing included t-shirts, sweatshirts, socks, shoelaces, hair scrunchies, and fanny packs. Hypercolor clothing, made of material which changes colors according to temperature, also came into fashion during the early 1990s. In 1991
fluorescent colors were replaced by colors such as coral, hot pink, and turquoise. The popularity of bright colors declined through 1995. Hoop earrings were also a popular accessory for teenaged girls and women in the first years of the 1990s. Bar Ends for bikes also was all the rage. They were a fad that left the scene in the late 1990s. Which to some was not soon enough.

How about posting up some old photos of these beloved rigs.
 
  • Like
Reactions: heyyall

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,039 Posts
neon...

Here's a few that have gone thru my clutches. I'm not sure if the Klein counts but it was pretty bright :cool: .
 

Attachments

·
Proud 2 Times BOTM Looser
Joined
·
173 Posts
Check the guy and his equipment all in the back. It's Roger Honegger competing for the Cilo Team back then.
The rider up front some of you might know?

 

·
Thumbs Up!
Joined
·
759 Posts
DIRTJUNKIE said:
1990s Neon colors & Bar Ends for bikes:
The dominant youth clothing fad at the beginning of the 1990s was fluorescent or dark colors[citation needed]. Fluorescent clothing was associated with cool, summer themes like surfing and the beach. The five fluorescent colors were blue, green, orange, pink, and yellow.
Fluorescent clothing was especially popular with teenage and pre-teen girls, but fluorescent t-shirts and shorts were also popular with boys. Fluorescent clothing included t-shirts, sweatshirts, socks, shoelaces, hair scrunchies, and fanny packs. Hypercolor clothing, made of material which changes colors according to temperature, also came into fashion during the early 1990s. In 1991
fluorescent colors were replaced by colors such as coral, hot pink, and turquoise. The popularity of bright colors declined through 1995. Hoop earrings were also a popular accessory for teenaged girls and women in the first years of the 1990s. Bar Ends for bikes also was all the rage. They were a fad that left the scene in the late 1990s. Which to some was not soon enough.

How about posting up some old photos of these beloved rigs.
Does Day Glo Yellow count? Note the painted to match thumb shifter pods and water bottle cage.


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


 

·
The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
Now that I have this one to ride, I need to dig out my old neon socks (had two sets; one yellow and one pink, and would wear one of each as a pair just because I thought it was cool).



Anybody seen my Oakley's?

Steve
 

·
velocipede technician
Joined
·
8,877 Posts
stan4bikes said:
Here's a few that have gone thru my clutches. I'm not sure if the Klein counts but it was pretty bright :cool: .
i see a skinny tired bike back there...

are the bikes behind the fence spill over from your collection
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,039 Posts
yeah, yeah, yeah....

hollister said:
i see a skinny tired bike back there...

are the bikes behind the fence spill over from your collection
The skinny tired bike is long gone, it was just a money maker not a rider. I have nothing against road bikes, I just don't enjoy them.

The bikes in the background are long gone as are the pictured bikes, these are old pics of bikes I've sold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,696 Posts
badbushido said:
Check the guy and his equipment all in the back. It's Roger Honegger competing for the Cilo Team back then.
The rider up front some of you might know?

cool shot of Frischi. That must have been the year before he signed with Ritchey; still a junior probably. What is Mondia? I remember he had that and "Kuwahara" I think on his Ritchey jerseys for a year or so...
 

·
The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
You guys are going to think I'm nuts, but after reading this thread I just had to find these.....



Had to go through about a hundred boxes of old junk, but I knew they had to be somewhere. No way I would have thrown them out as they were with me on so many great rides bitd. I'm suprised they're still in such good condition after all they went through.

I might just have to wear them on today's ride for old times sake, (not sure if I'm still man enough to rock 'em mis-matched though.lol)

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
725 Posts
This was brighter before the sun faded it. All the white was originally yellow. And no, I am NOT the person that left it out in the sun- bought it like this.

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim
 

·
The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
Joined
·
2,021 Posts
Lots of miles and smiles on this one bitd.



I feel a full neon build coming on...must resist...wife will kill me if I start another project...too late, anybody have a yellow or pink ATAC stem they want to part with?

Steve
 

·
IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati
Joined
·
1,493 Posts
i've had my Ritchey Tandem for 2 years not and have not gotten around to turning it back into a mountain bike yet. the photo probably doesn't show it well but this thing is piercing day glow. you need sun glasses to look at it

 
1 - 20 of 384 Posts
Top