Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I think the new version is a little lighter and perhaps more tubeless friendly. Sold a bike with the old version and bought one with the new version. Have not noticed any real difference other than the new rims are currently cleaner. The cut outs are different too.

If I was bike shopping and I found a bike I liked with the old version, that would not stop me from purchasing the bike.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I've had a blizzard with old Mulefuts for a couple years now, works great. Thinking of bulding a 27.5 fat wheelset and saw the V2 rims. More curious if they worked as well as the old ones :)

·
fat guy on a little bike
956 Posts
V2 is a little lighter but more of a pain to setup tubeless, as in the taping procedure. The cutouts are HUGE, very wide near the bead shelf. I have done 8 of them, and you have to take care with taping.

First three leaked, till i modified my taping process. Since then, they have worked excellent.

Regarding strength, they are the same as v1. I bent a v2 on the first ride, same as v1...

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,476 Posts
Only thing I'd note is the extra drain holes they now have, which are VERY close to the rim wall. Makes for a taping hassle but it can be overcome, I just use thin tape strips at those points, then wide tape right over them.

More of a MOBD fan myself, but these work well too.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Have both, slight weight difference but ride the same.

V1 with Bud/Lou for winter and V2 with Minion FBF/FBR 4.0 for the rest of the year.

Didn't had any issues using the Ringle tape and Minions.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
V2 is a little lighter but more of a pain to setup tubeless, as in the taping procedure. The cutouts are HUGE, very wide near the bead shelf. I have done 8 of them, and you have to take care with taping.

First three leaked, till i modified my taping process. Since then, they have worked excellent.

Regarding strength, they are the same as v1. I bent a v2 on the first ride, same as v1...
So what is the trick?. My rears, and now fronts have leaked. The rear was retaped with masses of tape. The lbs did it so i am not sure how. The lining is bulging out the cutouts to a scary degree, and the leaks develop everywhere.

·
fat guy on a little bike
956 Posts
So what is the trick?. My rears, and now fronts have leaked. The rear was retaped with masses of tape. The lbs did it so i am not sure how. The lining is bulging out the cutouts to a scary degree, and the leaks develop everywhere.
your LBS did it? you need to take control yourself. my LBS had issues sealing one of my wheelsets a while back, so I had to figure it out myself.

from the other thread:
**** can the gorilla tape and use some Sun Ringle, Kapton, Zip or some other tape that is less permeable than gorilla and is full width to run up the side of the rim into the bead seats. Clean the rim with some alcohol ..
the only thing i would add is when the rim strips are new, i leave a tube in it overnight before i start my taping process. as mentioned before, the v2 cutouts are much larger then before right next to the bead shelf. most of the tubeless leakage i have seen is in this area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.