Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey you lovely people!
It's been so long(10 years) since I've been on here that I forgot I even had an account lol! Life and career got in the way and I went on MTB hiatus for about 8-9 years after my Honda Pilot was rear ended while I had my bikes on the rack. I never got rid of the Otero Elite even though it was the most damaged bike during the accident. I was able to get some replacement parts for cheap, and I eventually got into trail riding again about 6 months ago after rebuilding it. However, I quickly realized I needed an upgrade because I was no longer comfortable with its size. I wasn't aware of how much of an impact covid had in terms of bikes available in the market! My list of bikes I was interested in were the Fezzari Abajo Peak, Giant Stance/Trance/Anthem, Polygon T7/T8, and Specialized StumpJumper.

After driving about 100 miles away from my house just to be able to test ride some of the bikes I was interested in, I fell in love with a 2021 Specialized StumpJumper 29 S4....and ordered one :)
Here it is on its first trail ride-
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

I'm certainly no pro rider, but the geometry of this bike makes riding so effortless, and inspires so much confidence.
I love it!

Huge shoutout to Eddy's Bike Shop! They were incredible when it comes to customer service and just the whole purchase experience.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Is this a 2020 or 2021?
It looks (and is spec'd) like a 2020, but the sizing (S1-S5) was introduced for 2021?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it's a 2021, and specced just like a 2021 should be. Not sure if the specs change in US vs Canada though. The specs for the 2021 StumpJumper vary a lot more than previous years. Both of the Alloy models($2500-$3500) feature the regular FSR rear link, while the upper models($4700-$10500) have the newer solid rear link that mates with their carbon frames. All the differences can be seen on Specialized's website.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Curious on sizing. How tall are you and what’s your inseam for the S4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, Found it!
Nice find. Not many available these days.
Yeah bud, you're definitely right. Test riding a bike was one of the criteria on my purchase. It's one of the reasons I didn't look at any other bike that could have also been great. I didn't want to buy something I didn't know how they felt. I was especially surprised how much I disliked the Giant bikes. I remember liking them back in the day. Polygon was fantastic! Unfortunately, the order wait time was more than I could endure.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Curious on sizing. How tall are you and what's your inseam for the S4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm 6' tall without shoes. Inseam is 34". I also weigh 185lbs.
I've tried both the S4 and S5. I went in with the mindset that the S5 was going to be the right one, but I was wrong. The S5 was too large for me when it came to using the dropper post in order to move my body when going downhill. At a standstill with the dropper post all the way down on the S5, I was balancing on my toes. It just didn't feel right for my size. The S4 felt perfect, and natural, like it fit me like a glove kind of natural. The dimensions were spot on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts