Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got two questions regarding my old threaded headset and basically the entire front of my bike. i'm trying to upgrade the brakes to v brakes from center-pull cantilevers. i just put them on and the fork apparently isn't compatible -- the lever arms of the brake are at strange angles and the tension adjusters are maxed out. basically i want to replace the fork with something cheap and compatible with v brakes. my bike is a 1995 schwinn moab s. here's my two [groups of] questions:

1. how do i know what size of a fork i need? do i just need to look at the diameter or does the length also matter? how do i know the fork's diameter without actually opening it up?

2. how do i take apart an old threaded headset and replace it? i've looked online (i think at sheldon brown's web page) for help on this, but i can't get a good idea of how to do it. i don't want to take the headset apart and not be able to put it back together (again, i don't know what i'm doing).

thanks in advance.

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
rajan said:
i just put them on and the fork apparently isn't compatible -- the lever arms of the brake are at strange angles and the tension adjusters are maxed out.
Check the spacers on the brake pad posts. You may need to rearrange their order to get the brake arms parallel to each other.

You can determine the headset/headtube size by measuring the flats of the top hex nut.

1" = 32mm - 1 1/8" = 36mm

Park Tool threaded headset link: http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=127

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem putting V's on that fork, I put some on a much older bike than that. Can you post a picture of your set up?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i monkeyed around with the washers like zanetti said. it definitely helped but my rig is still not centered and the cantilever arms are still lopsided. i'm posting pics here. the one spring tension adjuster is almost set to completely unengaged and the other one is all the way engaged.

i was thinking that the fork really should be able to accomodate the v brakes and maybe (probably) i'm just doing something wrong.

thanks a lot guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
It looks like your rim isn't centered in the fork...its closer to the nondrive side of the bike.

And...I just noticed that you removed the fork "arch"...put it back on! You need it to hold the fork together...I think that's part of your problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
holy crap you're right! the whole tire is actually angling over to the non-drive side on the top and the drive side on the bottom (where the wheel contacts). i was under the wrong impression that both stanchions of my fork were irreparably stuck and completely frozen out. what has actually happened is that my non-drive side stanchion has action in it and the other side is stuck. this means that there is a torque on my wheel (because the one side wants to be lower than the other) and that is causing the lack of centering in my wheel. I took the arch off my fork because i thought i basically had a stiff fork -- but i didn't -- and that just made the problem worse. this problem was there before i took the fork's arch off, but taking it off made things worse.

Thanks a lot kramnnim. Good diagnosis.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts