Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... and I mean that with the utmost respect.

The paper here in CT did a section front page article about some of the older mountain bike riders in the area. Really nice write up and the main picture was of Al biffing off a bridge - classic! Click on the "photos" button and check out photo number eight - that was the main picture they put on the front page.

the article, with a little video, is here:
https://www.courant.com/features/outdoors/hc-mountainbiking.artdec20,0,3975163.story

I've ridden with these guys many times and they will kick your butt. Classic ride two summers ago where Al got me on "his" turf and we ended up doing this mile long road climb, him on his XC bike, me on my 35 lb AM/FR machine (and I had 2 broken ribs). Yes, he was trying to KILL me. :-D really great guys and good ambassadors for our sport.

John

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
He was attempting to manual the length of the bridge and... well, any number of things could have happened at that point.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll ask Al what happened. I'm sure it was just one of those things, slipped on the leaves hit it misaligned and biffed. Al is a good rider, regardless of age. The caption in the paper (obviously written by a non-rider) says he lost control "after the front wheel got caught in the lip of a narrow bridge".

Anyway I hope I'm riding like those guys at 60, falls and all!

John

·
Registered
9,367 Posts
I came across a rider and his partner on a trail that has a lot of climbing. Not too technical but 20-somethings b!tch about the extended climbs. These guys had just done a full loop. I looked at him and said, what, are you about 60? He was 78! He was a track star at Auburn and just never got out of shape. He and his friend were on new FS bikes and looked about as buff as you can be at 78. He said he only started "feeling old" at 74. Some genes.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I read that article as well and yeah there were many points in it where you could tell it was written by someone who had never ridden before.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The reflection in the water matches the front wheel so there's no photoshop stuff goin' on. Looks like he hit the bridge from the side or maybe there's a guy at the other end of the bridge with an axe or something?

Who'da thunk that were.....

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
radair said:
That pic had to be a poser shot, HTF do you fall off like that on a wide bridge with a straight approach? Unpossible
Maybe he had a senior moment? :rolleyes: Yours are on their way sonny! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts