Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently bought a new bike but the shock had been swapped out by the shop. it was supposed to have an 08 fox float r but was sold with an older but never used fox shock on it (the shop knocked a few hundred off the $$$) . I guess the shock would be called a fox talas shock (hopefully someone can identify it)? so my questions would be how much better are the new float r's compared to whatever is on the bike. would it be worth it to buy a new float r since they go for like $100 bux on ebay, or just leave whats on there.

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,826 Posts

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
fastmxer9 said:
that item was already on my ebay watch list.:cool:

my question was more of is it worth upgrading to the Float R
Thats a good question. The TALAS shocks were mainly designed to change travel, I don't really know if the damping system they used is better or worse than a float...

At a minimum you'll save some weight by going with a Float R, and probably improving the reliability. I know those Parker frames are designed to be minimalist, I can't see how having a rear travel adjust would help on a 4" travel slopestyle frame. I say go for the Float.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Under normal use, the Talas shock is reliable............

a friend has been riding one for a couple of years, no problem. However, no abuse either.

Some riders actually look for older fox no propedal shocks for a suppler ride on the new generation of rear suspendion frames, which by themselves, do a good job of handling bobbing.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Pedro said:
a friend has been riding one for a couple of years, no problem. However, no abuse either.

Some riders actually look for older fox no propedal shocks for a suppler ride on the new generation of rear suspendion frames, which by themselves, do a good job of handling bobbing.
Yeah that's one thing i don't like about the new fox shocks, they have propedal built in, and if theres no adjustments for it, then its factory set. Be good if they sold their floats without propedal, or maybe thats the only thing good about them, or maybe you can turn it off?

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
peternguyen said:
Yeah that's one thing i don't like about the new fox shocks, they have propedal built in, and if theres no adjustments for it, then its factory set. Be good if they sold their floats without propedal, or maybe thats the only thing good about them, or maybe you can turn it off?
You can get it with three different levels of platform, I can't even tell that there is a platform on the lightest setting to be honest. Pay attention to the sticker near the seal, there should be three bars, the one thats colored in will tell you if it's light, medium, or strong.

·
Registered
255 Posts
peternguyen said:
Fox does sell it and its called float rp23. You can adjust the amount of propedal or you can turn it off.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Yeah, it sounds like you can't completely turn it off. But on top of that, if you want a float for suspension systems already minimizing bob, you'll have to fork out big money for the rp23, just so that you can 'almost turn off' the feature that is probably the reason why it costs so much. They should have made a float without propedal altogether.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.