Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After taking a 15 year break from mountain biking I have decided to start back on what use to be something I really enjoyed.

In 1995 I bought a new F1000. Back then it was a very nice bike. It has been sitting in my garage for 15 years.

Compared to today's bikes, is it so outdated I should not even spend the money rebuilding the headshock, tune up and new tires?

I realize in the end it comes down to what I want to spend my money on, however, there is a fine line between spending money on something that just isn't worth it.

If I were to buy a new bike, I would probably go with a full suspension ($2,500 budget).

Thanks for any advice or input.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The parts on it were good for in the day. I believe it comes down to whether you still have a personal preference to ride the bike. You could fix it for less than a new bike would cost if you get the tires and headshock rebuild. But then again you still have options in that budget range that could get you a nice new bike, one that would be updated and likely better than the old one.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,486 Posts
Plenty of folks riding bikes older than that and smiling....

If it was a $300 15 year old bike, that's a different matter. You have a nice mid/higher end made in the USA bike with solid parts, and a fork that is still considered one of the lightest and stiffest in it's class.

To not bring that thing back and ride it for a while would be a crime. Tune, cables, brake pads, tires, fork rebuild, if all that costs more than a couple hundred tops, I'd be surprised.

However, save those pennies, because once you try a buddies 29er, 29+ or fatbike, you may realize need for more than one platform in the garage! :devil:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.