Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle frame Bicycle
What year is it? I know that this is a useless question until I figure out how to add pics with my I-phone. For now I'll ask a question about my antique brain shock. I have a old Epic with the brain shock mounted on the rear triangle. The brain is mounted vertically on the shock. The only adjustment on this one is rebound. A friend noticed that I was getting a lot of movement in the suspension when pedaling on the road one day. I decided to get a pump and adjust the sag hoping that would fix the trouble. I think that this setup is supposed to compress the shock 10mm. I needed to add air to get 10mm sag. I overshot the needed pressure a little so I went to let a little air back out. Should I get oil out of the inflation port on my brain shock? What are good sources for info on maintaining my suspension? I'll post pics when I figure out how.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
It's pretty common to get a little oil out of the air valve as there is oil in the air spring to lubricated the seals. This will happen especially if you press the poppet and blast air out suddenly. Shock pumps have bleed valves which provide controlled release of air making it easier to set the desired pressure.

Of course you may have other problems going on in that shock, like damping oil leaking into the air chamber, worn damper seals, air on the wrong side of the ifp, etc...

IDK where you could get that shock serviced, but one place I'd ask is Traxxion Dynamics.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks LR. I won't worry to much for now. I'm off to ride the local trails now. Hopefully everything will work well. I'm not sure that I will know if the brain is working or not though. I don't have much experience with these.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.