Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hiding in the shadows for a while and following the buzz here and on SS board I felt it was time to say Hello! And as well present my quite old darling: The ugly sort of 29:er...

I built her up in 93 after being inspired by the Ibis Scorcher and som pics of old 1890:s safetybikes with bigger wheels in the front and mustaschbars... She had a 700cc wheel in front and a 26" in the back for a while until i did bring out the sledgehammer and made some more room in the reartriangle for a 700cc wheel in the back... Did find a pair o Nokia Rollspeed thats 44mm wide in 95 and ridden them since then... at the time they were the widest tire I could find and they where really floaty and has suprisingly good grip on gravel and roll fast on tarmac... The mustaschbar did I find after som digging in backroomboxes in a lots of bikeshops and they are steel and heavy but really a nice handposition... Shes been geared for a lot of the time but now shes a SS and I love it... Yeah I know shes beat up and rusty and all dirty and so... But shes still a darling and has her uses for gravelpaths, dirtroads, tarmac and around townrolling... Well shes not my only bike but over the years we have had a many good moments and shes still make me smile when the wheels rolls fast and the wind is in my face...

Attachments

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
welcome aboard!

you are actually one of the pioneers of the "big" wheels! :p

i like your derailleur stop!

do you have any more niners to share with us now that you're finally "out?" :D

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Nice

Love that rear brake set up. I did something like that when I put 700 wheels in my 26 er and raced cross with it. First hard braking just destroyed the whole set up. Anyway, you are not supposed to slow down when you're racing anyway.
I wouldn,t dare to do a offroad descent without frontbrake though.
QUOTE=Tobias/Frost]After hiding in the shadows for a while and following the buzz here and on SS board I felt it was time to say Hello! And as well present my quite old darling: The ugly sort of 29:er...

I built her up in 93 after being inspired by the Ibis Scorcher and som pics of old 1890:s safetybikes with bigger wheels in the front and mustaschbars... She had a 700cc wheel in front and a 26" in the back for a while until i did bring out the sledgehammer and made some more room in the reartriangle for a 700cc wheel in the back... Did find a pair o Nokia Rollspeed thats 44mm wide in 95 and ridden them since then... at the time they were the widest tire I could find and they where really floaty and has suprisingly good grip on gravel and roll fast on tarmac... The mustaschbar did I find after som digging in backroomboxes in a lots of bikeshops and they are steel and heavy but really a nice handposition... Shes been geared for a lot of the time but now shes a SS and I love it... Yeah I know shes beat up and rusty and all dirty and so... But shes still a darling and has her uses for gravelpaths, dirtroads, tarmac and around townrolling... Well shes not my only bike but over the years we have had a many good moments and shes still make me smile when the wheels rolls fast and the wind is in my face...[/QUOTE]

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Yoda?........The Old Coot?

Your writing reminds me of them both, are you one of them? Please don't take offense in this, I hold both of them in high esteem. :)

You have a cool old bike and I'd guess it proves you were riding a 29r before most of ever heard of one. Have you had the opportunity to ride a newer 29r, and if so, do you notice any significant improvement over what you've had for years?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.