Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of the original version Crossmax's. They have been great for all these years, but now I need to get the bearing out of the rear wheel's hub on the drive side. But it seems I need a goofy, proprietary socket of some sort to get the damn freehub off (thus giving me access to the drive-side cartridge bearing).

WTF? any tips on this would be great....
I suppose I'll have to go find an authorized Mavic dealer who has the correct tool? Ive searched the Web and cant find any information on this....

·
Ski during the off-season
487 Posts
gkd said:
got it unthreaded.
Hi - I picked up a used set of CrossMax XL's and have noticed some 'slippage' (i.e., the rear hub is not engaging immediately) and that the spindle has some sideways play. Thus, I figured I was going to need to make some adjustments, or potentially rebuild the hub. Based on your experience, any suggestions on what I should do? Sounds like I need to pickup a pin spanner.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
journey said:
Hi - I picked up a used set of CrossMax XL's and have noticed some 'slippage' (i.e., the rear hub is not engaging immediately) and that the spindle has some sideways play. Thus, I figured I was going to need to make some adjustments, or potentially rebuild the hub. Based on your experience, any suggestions on what I should do? Sounds like I need to pickup a pin spanner.
(I assume you are noticing looseness at the axle when wiggling the rim side-to-side)
You have to tighten the ring using the pin spanner. Its the same concept as a tightening a loose threaded headset. Dont over-tighten it.
I dont know what to do about a slipping freehub except replace the freehub body and the two little "flaps" inside (which engage the notches on the freehub).
Sounds like you have some newer Crossmax's than mine. I have the original design, which dates back to like 1996(?) or so.

·
Ski during the off-season
487 Posts
Yes, the slippage was the side-to-side movement at the axle. After finding a link to some Mavic service doc's, I tightended up the hubs using a pair of 'bent nose' pliers--my LBS did have any pin spanners when I stopped by. The service doc's said to tighten up hub and then back-off 1/4 of a turn. Since I did that, the freehub has stopped slipping.

My Crossmax's are 3 years old (new to me though ;-) Glad to hear someone with older CrossMax's that have lasted -- some of the feedback I have seen on them has not been very encouraging.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.