Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Yup. And it may already be worn by the worn-out chain to the point where it won’t work right with a new chain. Keep that in mind as to a possible development.

That’s why people keep tabs on the wear state of their chain constantly (after every ride, for some people), so that the amount of wear that the cassette is subjected to is very controlled. And they have various protocols to squeeze the most use from their cassette (AKA the cogset) by switching chains…some people exclusively swap-in new chains, some people swap in chains at various known states of wear.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,957 Posts
The first thing to usually go is one of (your favorite?) rear cassette gear. Then your granny-ring up front if you are using more than one ring, from there it progresses to the bigger rings up front.

Reactions: chucko58

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hey folks,

I took my bike in to get a tune up, and the guy said the chain is worn and will destroy the teeth? Is that true?

Thanks!
Its true. You can avoid that with changing chains before they get stretched - BUT it can depend on price of cassette - if its cheap you just leave everything until its unrideable then change casette+chain - because price will be cheaper than changing i.e. 3 chains before changing casette :)
With modern 11,12-speed casette prices you change chains. On old 9 speeds not so much.

·
Registered
19,325 Posts
A bit of a correction: chains don't actually stretch, they wear. The result is a wee bit longer chain, thus the term "stretch."
Steel doesn't stretch.
Actually steel can stretch. Technically you're right about chains but since they do grow longer as they wear the word "stretch" seems an appropriate description.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,957 Posts
A bit of a correction: chains don't actually stretch, they wear. The result is a wee bit longer chain, thus the term "stretch."
Steel doesn't stretch.
A bit of correction:

Stretch means to get longer.

You seem to be confused as to thinking that saying "stretch" implies the metal is elongating. That is only one possible definition of the word. The chain stretching is perfectly fine to describe the situation. It gets longer. I hang up my old chains next to my new ones and they are in fact longer.

Reactions: Sparticus

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,937 Posts
I've always wondered what exact part(s) is it in a chain that wear in such a way that the entire chain elongates?

If the holes in the side plates enlarged, wouldn't the pins fall out? If the rollers wore, they'd just get bigger/sloppier -- the whole chain wouldn't elongate.

So what actually happens?
=sParty

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
I replace chain, chainring and cassette all at the same time.
It used to be advocated, in the days of 8, 9 and 10 speed cassettes, to just wear the chain until everything is broken. I never thought that was cost effective, but in the days of 12 speed that is definitely not cost effective!
Much better to baby the expensive parts and replace the cheapest item.
I notice degradations in shifting before a chain reaches the magic point at which the measuring gauge indicates stretch. That's when I replace it.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
It used to be advocated, in the days of 8, 9 and 10 speed cassettes, to just wear the chain until everything is broken. I never thought that was cost effective, but in the days of 12 speed that is definitely not cost effective!
Much better to baby the expensive parts and replace the cheapest item.
I notice degradations in shifting before a chain reaches the magic point at which the measuring gauge indicates stretch. That's when I replace it.
I'm not the best at upkeep on maintenance so that's why I do it that way. On my 2016 hardtail I just replaced the cassette, chain and chainring for the first time in June. Bike had 2500 miles on it. XT 11-46 cassette, KMC chain and Raceface Chainring...~$160 total

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I've always wondered what exact part(s) is it in a chain that wear in such a way that the entire chain elongates?

If the holes in the side plates enlarged, wouldn't the pins fall out? If the rollers wore, they'd just get bigger/sloppier -- the whole chain wouldn't elongate.

So what actually happens?
=sParty
The bushing (or it's equivalent formed in the inner plates) wears the leading 'side' of the chain pin. You can see it rather easily on a not-terribly-worn chain as one/two--depending on the bushing design--extremely polished areas.

On badly worn chains, the polished area will be straight grooves, the integrated bushings may be badly worn to the point that the rollers are rattling, and the side plates are worn to the point that the chain can be flexed sideways into a rather tight circle compared to a new one. Such a chain, even if it doesn't skip, tends to poor shifting performance, since links would rather flex sideways than follow/pull on i their neighbors.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,937 Posts
The bushing (or it's equivalent formed in the inner plates) wears the leading 'side' of the chain pin. You can see it rather easily on a not-terribly-worn chain as one/two--depending on the bushing design--extremely polished areas.

On badly worn chains, the polished area will be straight grooves, the integrated bushings may be badly worn to the point that the rollers are rattling, and the side plates are worn to the point that the chain can be flexed sideways into a rather tight circle compared to a new one. Such a chain, even if it doesn't skip, tends to poor shifting performance, since links would rather flex sideways than follow/pull on i their neighbors.
I still don't get it but thanks for trying to help me understand.
Seems to me like if the side plates don't elongate, then the whole chain won't lengthen. And I know that's not happening.
Pin rollers can wallow, pins themselves can wear down, in neither case would this cause the chain to lengthen.
Sorry I don't get it. Again, thanks.
=sParty

·
Registered
19,325 Posts
Seems to me like if the side plates don't elongate, then the whole chain won't lengthen. And I know that's not happening.
Pin rollers can wallow, pins themselves can wear down, in neither case would this cause the chain to lengthen.
Sorry I don't get it. Again, thanks.
=sParty

Maybe a picture will help-

White Organism Rectangle Font Line

·
Registered
2,238 Posts

Some good articles to review:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.