Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building up a kona kikapu deluxe and I just got a new crankset and chain along with new front and rear derailleurs. I would like to not buy a new cassette but i've heard that it's best to just replace the whole drivetrain at the same time as to not accelerate wear. Is this true? Should i just pony up for a new cassette? Or does this cassette have plenty of life life (like i think it does)?

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Since the chain is new..it would be best to use a new cassette, especially if the cassette is used a bit...

You can try it, it will be easy to see... the new chain will skip on your most-used gears..and it will cause the chain to stretch a bit faster...

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
since your building up from stratch, take the extra time and money and get a new cassette for your new chain (SRAM are like $30)...that way when you get it all built up, there won't be any hitches to actually riding the bike....the cassette can appear like it hasn't seen any use at all...but there will be some slight wear that won't match a new chain and you might get skipping no matter how much finagling with the rear derailleur you do

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
I don't want to hijack this thread but I'm in basicly the same situation. What do you guys think of the SRAM pg-950? It is pretty cheap. The reviews here at mtbr are mixed but there are only 4 and they seem sketchy.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
The only 9spd chain that I would ever recommend is the Shimano XTR/Dura Ace. I've had only bad experiences with SRAM chains up to 991 range. Although I found that they worked well, if a little 'springy', they had very poor longevity compared to Shimano equivalents. Same for their cassettes.
I've been alternating XTR's and KMC X9's for a few months. The KMC shifts very well, maybe even a tad slicker than the XTR, and seems to be lasting as long. I can pick either chain up in the UK for around £15 (eBay). I may just end up using KMC's excusively because the sweet black/silver links appeal to my sense of vanity. For those who may be interested, KMC also do an x-lite version of the X9, but it's pricey at around £40 and I honestly don't care that much about the grams.
Peace,
Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.