Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Built up my old 04 Bullit w/5th Element and 05 66rc for my son to ride when he goes w/me. I've got a 06 DHX air shock coming, (next Wed. from an MTBR member, btw Thanx SCN), and I'm gonna try it out for a lil bit on it to see out it does. My son is only about 150-160 lbs, so I think it should be ok. Any thoughts on this configuration anyone ?????

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
is it a 5.0? Reason I ask is 'cause it can be a pain to set up.... a lot of adjustments that shock has...

I use one as a spare for my bullit...

I will attest to the lack of mid-stroke support of that design.. I hear it is much better with a rp23 can on it, because it decreases the air volume and increases the 'ramp-up' which you can guess increases the bottom out resistance. It should eliminate any issues with mid-stroke too... At your sons weight I am not sure this will be an issue though... You will have to play a lot with the adjustments though to find the sweet spot~ buy a half rack and settle in, as it will take a while....

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
drewactual said:
is it a 5.0? Reason I ask is 'cause it can be a pain to set up.... a lot of adjustments that shock has...

I use one as a spare for my bullit...

I will attest to the lack of mid-stroke support of that design.. I hear it is much better with a rp23 can on it, because it decreases the air volume and increases the 'ramp-up' which you can guess increases the bottom out resistance. It should eliminate any issues with mid-stroke too... At your sons weight I am not sure this will be an issue though... You will have to play a lot with the adjustments though to find the sweet spot~ buy a half rack and settle in, as it will take a while....
Thanks gonna need a bottle of Jack and/or a 6-12 pack of local brewed fare to get through the 1/2 rack and the dial in....:thumbsup:

·
Bullit MaDnEsS
16 Posts
I Got a DHX 5 Air on my 05 Bullit, and it is ok. I agree with drewactual...shock setup takes a while!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
koffo said:
I Got a DHX 5 Air on my 05 Bullit, and it is ok. I agree with drewactual...shock setup takes a while!
Same here..I've had my DHX 5.0 Air for quite awhile.
I like the weight loss but I'm still not happy with the performance.
I'm going to try the RP23 can on mine but if that doesn't work I am going to try and trade it for a Manitou Swinger 4 way air.
I have been pretty happy with the performance of SPV/CVT shocks on the Bullit.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
koffo said:
Did you have troubles with bottom out?
I was bottoming.
Now I just got it back from being rebuilt(rebound knob leak) and no matter what I do I haven't been able to use full stroke.. about 2 1/4 out of 2.5 inches.
my original complaint was the lack of mid stroke support though.

I don't have any of those issues with my Swinger air on my other bike.
That's why I am thinking of swapping.

·
Registered
142 Posts
my primary is a 4way. that is a fantastic shock.... I weigh #270, and all air shocks had to be set up super firm for me before... now I can run 20-30% sag and not worry one bit about losing mid range support or hitting bottom. The platform allows be to squeeze almost as much XC performance out of the Bullit I got out of the Heckler...no kidding. Of course when the going is real rough there is no comparison between those bikes... the difference between 5.5" travel and 7" is pretty huge...

fwiw, I highly recommend if you do the 4way, to get the 4 point SPV adjustment cap. It allows you to choose platform/bottom out on the trail by choosing one of four positions- all you gotta do is spin the dial. You save so much energy climbing the hill, that it is still time beneficial to stop and flip the dial to a larger volume SPV setting for the downhill. And you really don't even have to stop.

I know I have gone on and on about that shock, but honestly it brought my Bullit to life, and saved me from having to buy another 'use specific' bike for XC. also, the 4way is much cheaper than the DHX-A.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
8.5 X 2.5 The 4-Way Air is a great shock for a trail Bullit. I've had one on one of mine for years.

·
Killer b.
1,523 Posts
Just gonna revive this thread.

I just took delivery of a dhx air for my 1st generation bullit. I had tried a Fox Float, which dramatically improved performance over the original Vanilla RC, but bottomed out too easily. I figured the bottom out adjustment on the dhx would fix that problem, but I may have been very wrong.
I'm about 145 in gear and I set the shock with 33% sag, so about 110 psi and 125 in the boost valve. Also wound the bottom out dial all the way in, but it blows straight through all its travel and bottoms out just bouncing around on the road. In the end I cranked 200psi into the boost valve, but it still bottoms out with a clunk. Have I got this back to front? Should I release some boost valve and put some more in the main can?

Any advice that will save me some time and aggravation will be gratefully received.

b.

·
Bullit MaDnEsS
16 Posts
I think that 33% of sag is too much. I had the same problems, and I solved them inflating more air in the main can (230 psi, I'm about 90 kg), now I keep the boost valve at 150 psi and the main can at 220/230 psi.

·
Registered
142 Posts
man I am sorry to hear about your DHX-A... At your weight it shouldn't have been an issue, but I guess FOX has struck again....

Before you give up:

Start at the upper end of things and work your way backwards... at l#300 main, #175 piggy, pro pedal full on, and bottom out topped. The rebound is the only thing I would take care with for your test ride. Pay mind to the wiper ring after EVERY hit- be it a gravel on the road or a 3' drop. Stand up and hammer hard and see how much bob you get... If the shock is maxxed to start, and doesn't support you then it is a lost cause and you are just wasting your time- if it does support you it is just a matter of backing off and finding the sweet spot.

I am the first to bash that shock.. It is worthless for my purposes, but that said- one thing it does have going for it is that it is very very tunable. Exhaust all those options before you give up... one more thing, and this is very important: Don't ride that thing if you can't solve the bottoming issues. That is a certain way to break your frame around the pivot... I learned this the hard way.

·
Killer b.
1,523 Posts
Thanks.
I've been doing a lot of googling and reading and I've found some comments about adding a bit of shock oil to the main can to help ramp up the end of the stroke a bit and prevent bottoming. This would seem to make sense to me. When I bought the Float 2nd hand the seller commented that it could use a bit of float fluid, but I didn't realize the lack of fluid might be causing it to bottom with a clunk. The new shock is an unused 2007 model I got off ebay, so who knows how much fluid is in there.

Anyone know about this?

·
Registered
142 Posts
huh... don't know for sure about the fluids increasing ramp because of viscosity through the baffles, but I could grant it that based on taking up space- fluids don't compress and in effect all you are doing imHo is decreasing air volume of the shock...

If your hell bound to keep that shock, I would consider getting a RP-23 canister and swapping the bigger canister off of that shock. Would cost you somewhere between $20 and $40 bucks. You decrease volume, increase ramp up and improve mid-stroke support. With the smaller volume and tuned right, you won't hit bottom. You may get there really fast (blow through mid) but you will never actually strike bottom.

·
Killer b.
1,523 Posts
drewactual said:
huh... don't know for sure about the fluids increasing ramp because of viscosity through the baffles, but I could grant it that based on taking up space- fluids don't compress and in effect all you are doing imHo is decreasing air volume of the shock...

If your hell bound to keep that shock, I would consider getting a RP-23 canister and swapping the bigger canister off of that shock. Would cost you somewhere between $20 and $40 bucks. You decrease volume, increase ramp up and improve mid-stroke support. With the smaller volume and tuned right, you won't hit bottom. You may get there really fast (blow through mid) but you will never actually strike bottom.

Thanks for the input.
I didn't get your first response come through on my e-mail for some reason, but I just came back and read these in order. I will look into the RP-23 can, and in the mean time I will add a bit of fluid, reset my sag to something more realistic, play with the settings and see what I can achieve. I don't so much mind blowing through the travel, but I hate that metal on metal clunk. The new shock has a quarter inch more stroke than the old one, so there's room to experiment.

b.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
drewactual said:
my primary is a 4way. that is a fantastic shock.... I weigh #270, and all air shocks had to be set up super firm for me before... now I can run 20-30% sag and not worry one bit about losing mid range support or hitting bottom. The platform allows be to squeeze almost as much XC performance out of the Bullit I got out of the Heckler...no kidding. Of course when the going is real rough there is no comparison between those bikes... the difference between 5.5" travel and 7" is pretty huge...

fwiw, I highly recommend if you do the 4way, to get the 4 point SPV adjustment cap. It allows you to choose platform/bottom out on the trail by choosing one of four positions- all you gotta do is spin the dial. You save so much energy climbing the hill, that it is still time beneficial to stop and flip the dial to a larger volume SPV setting for the downhill. And you really don't even have to stop.

I know I have gone on and on about that shock, but honestly it brought my Bullit to life, and saved me from having to buy another 'use specific' bike for XC. also, the 4way is much cheaper than the DHX-A.
I just ordered a 08 Swinger X4 for my trail Bullit..It should be here Wednesday.
I cant wait..
Anyone want a DHX Air..:D

bshallard try running the DHX at 25% sag. Mine seemed to work best that way.
Also when I had mine rebuilt they added oil to help prevent bottom out.
It worked but I think they added too much because now it doesn't get full travel.
I'm going to try taking some out to see if I get full travel.

·
Bullit MaDnEsS
16 Posts
Just to be clear: with the correct sag now, the ammo still doesn't have mid-stroke support, but never bottoms out

·
Registered
142 Posts
even at my weight of #270 the shock can be set up that i never hit bottom... but never could i get mid stroke support... weird i know, but true. it was as if the bike had two inches travel instead of seven. the first bit before the platform which was maybe an inch rear travel, and the one inch travel at the rear wheel apex. the other five might has well not been there. but i never pushed the wiper off nor had that hard impact or clunk. (once i figured out how to keep it from hitting bottom).. before I figured that out, I bottomed regularly on my heckler. it cost me a front triangle because it broke from one o'clock to eleven o'clock on the down tube directly under the pivot. why? bike ain't made for that kind of impact- there is supposed to be something there to cushion the blow.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts