Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am posting this for my bummed out brother.

He has this old early~mid 90s era FS Manitou bike that broke. It's the model that looks like it has a fork on the back for suspension. The arch part broke; cracked straight through on both sides. Does anyone here have a lead to someone that has these old parts? Yea, I know, good luck. Bro has already bought a Trek EX8 and is happy with it, but he would like to get the old girl running again. He loves that old bike.

·
Sneaker man
3,656 Posts
mine did that years ago (not to a failure point), emailed manitou, they said, no fixing... still rode a bit for a year or more... but now the head tube is gone too...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Tzvia said:
The arch part broke; cracked straight through on both sides.
strange, never heard these crack on a manitou. you should find replacement on ebay as there were many aftermarket break arches for manitou forks. they should fit. or you could take the brake arches of a similar manitou fs frame. good luck!

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
Amazed the headtube didn't crack first.

I think those Answer Manitous have the #1 failure rate. 80-90% of them have broken. I made that number up, but it couldn't be too far off. :p
Non-broken examples tend to go for a lot...and even then, they'll surely break.

If he wants another one badly enough...timing, patience, money. He's going to have to work for it.

·
Registered
618 Posts
mechagouki said:
Those bikes are made of cheese................
It wasn't just any cheese. It was a high tech aluminum/cheddar alloy with small amounts of emmental for strength. MUCH better than the cast iron/queso alloy bolts on my old '79Bultaco Frontera 250. Thumbs Up!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL his frame did brake at the headtube, and Manitou replaced it over a decade ago. The part that broke is the rear crown, clean through on both sides, and yea it's toast. Just thought I would ask. It was a beautiful bike, back in the purple anno days (but all his small bits and the Joysticks were blue). Time to strip what is useful from it (if anything) and recycle... :-(

·
Registered
143 Posts
Tzvia said:
LOL his frame did brake at the headtube, and Manitou replaced it over a decade ago. The part that broke is the rear crown, clean through on both sides, and yea it's toast. Just thought I would ask. It was a beautiful bike, back in the purple anno days (but all his small bits and the Joysticks were blue). Time to strip what is useful from it (if anything) and recycle... :-(
in the german vrc forum some guy is selling the marin version of that crown.
http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showthread.php?t=436581

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Since most of the ones that failed cracked at the headtube, you would think he should be able to put the parts of two failed frames together. The main frame is usually what goes so replacing it would be a PITA. Finding a donor frame for parts of the suspension should be fairly easy if you are willing to wait a while.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I wonder...

I have a 96 Manitou HT that is still ridden, although not nearly as much as it used to be, that has no cracks. In the years I've had it my weight ranged from 140 - 160 lbs. It's ridden aggressively, typical hardpack XC terrain.

Ever since I first built it, I've been using a headset reducer to 1 1/8. Do you think the reducer has somehow lessened the load on the headtube, or am I just lucky to have one that hasn't cracked?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.