Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've had an old specialized in the shed for a long long time now, it was left behind in a shed when we moved house. It has no chain or front derailleur.

What do these bikes sell for on the used bike market. Number 1 son wants to buy some fishing tackle.

I haven't got a clue with bikes I ride a raleigh 馃槈

Any and all help muchly appreciated.

Registered
Honestly not a lot even in full working order. Bikes have moved on a lot. Worth restoring the bike if it had sentimental value maybe?

If it was me I'd throw it in a skip or take it to a local cycling charity organisation and save myself unnecessary time and effort.

You could get your (number 1/favourite?馃槂) Son a carbon fibre fishing rod and half a pint of maggots for the price it would cost just for a front derailleur and chain.

Registered
That bike was about $700 new in 1999. It has had some spec changes, that I would not call upgrades. Sadly that A1 Rockhopper from turn of millennium is not collectible.

If in working condition without rust you could get $150-200 depending on where you live.

Sadly, you could spend $100+ getting it to that sellable condition. Not worth it.

If it was mine I鈥檇 ask $75 as is, take $50.

Evolutionsverlierer
Leave only one chainring in the front, then instead of missing a front derailleur you have a 1x. 馃槈

We have a local bicycle shop that takes donations in form of bike related stuff to fund their program to get kids on bikes and they have a myriad amount of older dirt cheap bike parts so if you need to sell the bike that might be a way to go to fix your bike up if you have one of those close by.
They also have very reasonable rates to fix stuff since they are a charity.

If the fork is not frozen I would not dig into it.
I would clean the bike make it really shiny.
Stuff that is really clean sells much easier.

Might make for a nice father son project.

Registered
That bike was about $700 new in 1999. It has had some spec changes, that I would not call upgrades. Sadly that A1 Rockhopper from turn of millennium is not collectible.

If in working condition without rust you could get $150-200 depending on where you live.

Sadly, you could spend $100+ getting it to that sellable condition. Not worth it.

If it was mine I鈥檇 ask $75 as is, take $50.
Edit: Model year is 2000 not 1999. However, these were available in Specialized dealers from late August 1999.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts