Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding a Spesh Fat Boy for 4 years now. Initially it was just for snow then I tried dirt and sold my 26" wheeled FS mountain bike. Last winter a friend basically gave me a nice carbon Salsa Pony Rustler for some party money he needed. My god this is a nice bike. Things have really advanced in the mountain bike world since I took a break. But here's the thing... it scares the **** out of me. Those skinny tires... sure they roll nice, but they do not feel safe. (note: I'm old at this point which may play into it). I'm thinking of putting a set of 27.5" rims with 2.8" maybe 3" tires. Has anyone else had this experience trying to go back to skinny tires and been reluctant to return?

·
Rippin da fAt
10,291 Posts
With my collection including three plus bikes, there is no intention of going back to 2.eww tires and road rims!
The pleasure of going into places that 2.nvm tires cannot traverse and a pair of 4.8's don't blink is amazing. The plus bikes are an amazing component of my collection as well. A plus full suspension has been to many great places and has been awesome. My plus singlespeed is a joy on many of the same trails.

Go out and take a plus bike for a ride and see for yourself if it doesn't fill a void. If possible, rent one for a week and give it a proper shakedown.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have a 2015 Stumpy 29er. Got it new in the fall then got an ICT and a Mayor. When I take out the 29er. It feels like a ferrari compared to the fat. I still enjoy it at times. Just like I enjoy driving fast sometimes. I mostly ride my fatbikes though. I don't have the need for speed all the time. Plus the rocks and roots sucks ass on the skinny bike. I feel like there's a tool for every job.

·
turtles make me hot
11,663 Posts
I only ride 29+ and 4.8 fat. My 29" Stumpjumper fully was in the basement apart for years now. I'm revamping it because my son wants to try it out.
I feel like this is a fool's errand though... This past Monday, the bikeshop ride I always participate in was also going to be a trial day. They brought Transition bikes for everyone. My son asked if there was one he could ride but they were all spoken for so I gave him mine, I'd rather ride my Krampus.
My son is 14, 6'2" and has only ridden 29+ for the last five years. After the ride I asked him how he liked the Transition. It was a carbon, full suspension 27.5 bike. The Sentinel, I believe. He said he didn't care for the skinny tires and he had pedal strikes. I said yeah, that happens with FS. You have to train yourself how to ride them and not do that. It was his first ride ever on a bike with rear suspension.
I have a feeling the Stumpjumper is going to be short lived again.

·
turtles make me hot
11,663 Posts
Nothing about FS mandates pedal strikes. That's just the direction the hipster-chasing parts of the industry have gone.
True. His last two bikes have been 907 fat frames with 29+ wheelsets. I guess the bottom bracket is significantly higher. He said this was the first time he's ever had that happen.

·
rth009
986 Posts
ILast winter a friend basically gave me a nice carbon Salsa Pony Rustler for some party money he needed. My god this is a nice bike. Things have really advanced in the mountain bike world since I took a break. But here's the thing... it scares the **** out of me. Those skinny tires... sure they roll nice, but they do not feel safe. (note: I'm old at this point which may play into it). I'm thinking of putting a set of 27.5" rims with 2.8" maybe 3" tires. Has anyone else had this experience trying to go back to skinny tires and been reluctant to return?
What rims/tires came with the pony rustler. While the frame will accept both, that was sold as a 27.5 x 3"

·
Registered
289 Posts
After riding adult sized tires for years now, my semi-retired 2006 Trek Top Fuel (26x2.1 tires) is what I use as a road bike. The Trek still sees the occasional trip to ride buffed singletrack, as it is still FAST!!! in that setting, anything tougher, and my Bucksaw is the preferred bike.

I try not to sell any bikes these days, as they always seem to be good at something else down the road. The Pony Rustler (if I had one) would stay in my fleet.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Pony Rustler I have is 29" wheeled with 2.35" tires. My understanding is I can put on a set of 27.5" Boost-spaced rims (40 mm or bigger) and some 2.8" or 3" tires. I posted the question a few months ago on the 27.5 forum and got no responses. My LBS later confirmed I could make the conversion.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
He said he didn't care for the skinny tires and he had pedal strikes. I said yeah, that happens with FS. You have to train yourself how to ride them and not do that. It was his first ride ever on a bike with rear suspension.
I have a feeling the Stumpjumper is going to be short lived again.
Low bottom bracket issue. Not a full suspension issue.

The price you pay for lower, longer slacker or whatever it is they call it these days.

All in the name of claiming to "Lower your center of gravity" which is 4 ft. off the ground anyway. Lowering the bottom bracket has zero effect on stability, but has a major effect on pedal strikes.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Low bottom bracket issue. Not a full suspension issue.

The price you pay for lower, longer slacker or whatever it is they call it these days.

All in the name of claiming to "Lower your center of gravity" which is 4 ft. off the ground anyway. Lowering the bottom bracket has zero effect on stability, but has a major effect on pedal strikes.
The lower the bottom bracket is, in relation to axle height, the more stable it is.

·
Rippin da fAt
10,291 Posts
The lower the bottom bracket is, in relation to axle height, the more stable it is.
Pfft!

The lower the BB typically loads the front more. For some a high BB makes a bike feel twitchy and unstable.
Either way, I am always more content with a higher BB than one that gets stuck on the speed bump in front of the neighborhood package store.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel

This is an example of a high BB.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.