Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 806 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, thought I'd start this thread for the OKC folks.

Question how does Draper Red compare to Bluff Creek? I find that Bluff is technically tougher than Draper Yellow (one of my favorite trails in the area) in spots.

And what about Anderson. Is that worth a trip?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I see several people have looked at this. I'm asking for some more comments to get this going.

I've ridden Arcadia several times lately (the weakest of all our trails imo) and have noticed that parking on 15th street and coming from the southwest is the MUCH better trail system. But since no one ever (at least since the wheel was invented) uses it, the trail need some TLC. Burnout Hill is un-ridable, which is sad.

I'm going to take a trimming device and start clipping back some overhung limbs as I ride. So if anyone else wants to do just a little each time you ride, we can make this side really fun. Hope to see someone out there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't think any amount of cleaning up will make people go to Arcadia. It's just a slow, boring trail, and sometimes dangerous when they put a huge sand trap right in front of a bridge after coming down the only high speed area. When me and a friend went we only made it halfway through the trail before we just got too bored with it.

The last time I rode Draper was last year, and I think they have done some work to it to make it a better trail. So I can't really compare it to Bluff Creek.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been riding in the okc area for four years and have not even considered going to Arcadia. I mostly ride Draper because it is only 10 minutes from my house. To me Bluff Creek is more technically challenging than Draper but Draper is more cardio challenging than Bluff Creek. The best local trail is definitely Clear Bay I just hit that up last weekend there were two points that I just had to laugh and say no way as I dismounted the bike. That trail has changed a lot from about three years ago which was the last time I was there and is truly an awesome ride now. I'm looking forward to checking out Turkey Mountain because from what I've heard it easily trumps Clear Bay and I'll have to see that to believe it.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New Draper work on the Red trail

I'll take more pics next time I'm there, but they are moving a ton of dirt. Some looks fun, other looks like you would have to be an Obama supporter to ride it....

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was there this morning but I didn't bother to check out the work that was being done on that section. I've seen some of the pictures though and it looks like it's going to be very fun or very dangerous depending on the riders ability. I look forward to trying out most of the new stuff when it's done.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've heard of 19 minute laps. But there needs to be a definitive beginning and ending point.

Maybe we should measure from the first left turn into the trees to where the loop feeds back into the original loop.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey just rode Draper Red this morning and had so much fun, I had to do it again. They just opened up the first half of the trail and it is AWESOME!

I also rode Clear Lake in Norman last week and got a bit lost on the Expert Section. The first part of it made me wonder why it was expert. But then, holy crap! I've seen stuff like I've never seen before. I would love to see someone go over all that stuff. It wasn't manmade either, it was creeks with 85 degree ascents and descents over and over again. It made Draper red look like a merry go round at a kiddie park. I had trouble walking over it. And got two ticks to boot.
The rest of the trail will be really good once the leaves fall!

Boomer sooner

·
Combat Wombat
1,873 Posts
OEF will be holding their September monthly meeting in the NuDraper parking area this coming Saturday at 11:00am. It is going to be a 3G style meeting....greet, grill and group ride. This is a no-drop ride, so everyone of all skill levels are welcome. Membership not required, so come out, say hello, grab a bite to eat and go for a ride with us.

Brian Urquhart
OEF Vice President

·
Road Warrior
108 Posts
Sat. meeting

Thanks Brian, Had a great time. Great trails. Plan to get by here more often. The next time someone asks me if they have many mountain bikers in Oklahoma City, I can give a defnite YES.

·
Combat Wombat
1,873 Posts
It was great meeting you David and I am glad you had a good time. The first time I have ever got to meet someone, besides a local, that posts on MTBR. Pretty cool! This is the first club meeting for Ryan and myself, and I think it went off pretty good. Getting the chance to talk to everyone and then going for a ride definately beats just meeting at a bar and grill somewhere.

The next time you are in the area, definately give me a shout. We can load the bikes up in my truck and go ride some of the other trails around here.

Brian

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cooldaddy, great job. Just rode red, green and yellow loops today. LOVE the new stuff on the red.

Did you bunny hop off that ramp? I've just been going over it, but I'm a NOOB.

1 - 20 of 806 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.