Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Want Smiley Sauce w/that?
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pushed myself harder than ever this spring, in Sedona, then Moab. I have a lot of mercury in my system and take a lot of minerals and I have learned how to compensate for/ protect myself against the mercury. Never broke a rib in my life, and now I've broken two in three months, and neither of them from impact. This one was from laying askew on my left shoulder and trying to push the shade in my rv (it's on strings and takes a little muscle to lift up, normally easy but...) with my left arm and I knew I was straining a muscle to do it but did it anyway -- dumb. This was 2 or 3 days ago. I wasn't as comfortable driving -- had some very mild discomfort in my lower back which I never get but didn't have any pain in the upper area. Felt pretty normal

My theory is that I cracked it when I tweaked my shoulder raising the shade (the pain is five inches out from my sternum and a few inches down from the collar bone) and today (I arrived last night and unhooked the rig after a week+ on the road, eating a lot of crap food but still taking all my supp's) and suddenly today I was feeling chest pain on the left, near my heart, and I honestly thought all the bad food had caused hardening of the arteries or something as I've been eating nothing but healthy food for months as I knew I was putting my body through a lot with the riding, then tonight I was poking around the area, trying to find the source of the pain and I felt a click. Nothing is sticking out but I felt the bone pop. And yeah, I was dumb enough to do it twice and felt the pop again and tonight it hurts a lot more.

My adrenals are really depleted as well after 3 months of hard riding, even though I take a lot of adrenal supplements. Evidently this was just too much. I read a study once about a group of people of all ages whose intracellular magnesium levels were taken 1 day, 7 days and 3 months after a very strenuous, very long hike. Even three months later the intracellular mag. levels hadn't returned to levels they were at before the hike. Might take me the rest of the year to recover from three months riding the rocks.

So, for those of you with any kind of pain in the rib area -- don't press on it. Don't massage it, just take it easy and take a lot of minerals. I was *fine* this morning. And I did pretty much nothing today, and tonight I'm back to painful breathing and all the pain that comes with rolling over and getting out of bed. Dayyyyyum....

I thought it was a pinched nerve or a pulled muscle. If I didn't know how hard I'd been pushing myself I'd be really freaked out. I'm too young to be cracking ribs like this. Sheez...what's next, a broken hip? I'm in MN for the summer. I shouldn't be able to do much damage out here. :rolleyes:

·
Want Smiley Sauce w/that?
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I fell asleep with a heating pad on it last night and woke up in the worst pain yet. Couldn't find any way to roll in either direction and couldn't sit up. Why would heat do that? Switching to ice this morning. If that doesn't work...bourbon. Have to pack up a frame and send it to London today. That's gonna be interesting.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You heard a click?...When I hear of crepitus occurring a visit to the doc would be in order. I also suspect the heat is causing increased blood flow to the area which in return is causing more pain. I think ice would possibly be a better option but would definitely recommend the doc's. If you have rough bone edges moving around a lot of damage could potentially occur. Get well soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.