Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Always Learning
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone has used an XR front tire on the rear and how it handles.

Reason being, I finally got a sidewall tear on my rear XR. Tire has been sitting on the bike in the garage with a flat for 2 months. I pulled the rear wheel to fix the tire yesterday (before I had my X.0+KM mishap in the mud). Patched the tube and when mounting the tire, noticed the small sidewall tear. I've got a spare XR front tire and thought about mounting it up in place.

Or, if it is a small sidewall tear (less than 1/4" long) - can I patch it inside and out to get some more use out of it, or is this dangerous?

Lots of questions, I know....

BB

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
I run a front as rear. few rides only, but it's just fine for my riding. More volume, and seemingly a bit faster rolling.
I'd definately try to path the other tire. The most flexible patch wins. Do you know the stretchy pads you need to custom cut from a little sheet? That's what I'd try. For bigger tears I think you'd need stronger patch and glue. No real experience tough, let someone els help you.

·
No Reputation!
1,720 Posts
You can't do that!

heh, just kidding, I think it's a great idea. In fact, it's such a good idea that I might try it myself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts