Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
dunno what type of cassette hub you have but if you plan to use the gusset kit it better have a steel or Ti body. the cog that comes with the gussett kit is very thin and could dig into the body resulting in a large amount of play. otherwise the gussett kit is great and has served my converted SS well but you will not have many options for getting a perfect chainline.

for my new purpose built SS i'm using a kickass cog and fibonacci spacer kit. the cog has a nice wide base and the spacer kit allows for perfect chainline.
http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=112065&cat=55&brand=1032
http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=113730&cat=55&brand=1032

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the fibonacci's and the endless cog. I wonder if I should take apart another disc I have and use old cassette spacers until I figure out what gear ratio I'm comfortable with.

·
Banned
2,994 Posts
Or just buy the spacers seperate from

mud'n'sweat said:
I like the fibonacci's and the endless cog. I wonder if I should take apart another disc I have and use old cassette spacers until I figure out what gear ratio I'm comfortable with.
webcyclery.com.
Also the King Cogs (and I think Surly) have wide bases as well.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Cost wise the Gussett's pretty sweet

and I've used a Gussett on three different wheelsets, and 4 different bikes for the last two years, it works well. Finally broke down and ordered an Endless cycles cog though, hope it gets here today so I can run a 2-1 gear ratio on my newly converted C-dale F1000.

Enjoy the new bike dude.

·
Registered
260 Posts
mud'n'sweat said:
What do you fine people recommend for a conversion kit for my rear hub. I've got a Kona Explosif on the way and I am itchin' to get it built up.

The one I have found...

http://pricepoint.com/detail/13456-...s/Gusset-1-ER-Single-Speed-Conversion-Kit.htm
Thats the one I went for too. It's been great. I have it with the Surly Singulator on my Maxlight.

I've just taken the big chainset off the front too, having got some single chainring bolts from the LBS for the lone (middle) ring. The whole set up looks much cleaner now.

I just need to get a half link next to use the 16t cog in place of the 18t on at the moment. Without the half link I need to change the singluator to push down and a half link will just be easier plus I prefer the singulator pushing up.

Of course, with a SS specific frame, all that singulator talk is irrelevant to you :D

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, so I dug around the garage this morning and found and un-used sram 8 speed cassette and a bunch of old cassette spacers. I'd like to try out a few different cogs from the sram cassette which I already took apart, but am I going to destroy the free hub body by doing this? Should I only do a few rides to figure out which cog ratio's I want or am I going to damage the hub body instantly?

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
mud'n'sweat said:
Okay, so I dug around the garage this morning and found and un-used sram 8 speed cassette and a bunch of old cassette spacers. I'd like to try out a few different cogs from the sram cassette which I already took apart, but am I going to destroy the free hub body by doing this? Should I only do a few rides to figure out which cog ratio's I want or am I going to damage the hub body instantly?
first the 8speed cassette is a good choice b/c it is 3/32.
unless the freehub is aluminum you are going to be hard pressed to damage it. any damage resulting wont be any worse then if you used the punched cog from the conversion kit...

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
your answer was hidden in the FTS-L technology page:
FTS-L - Force Transfer System Light
FTS-L - Force Transfer System Light
What is it ?
Reinforcement of key transmission components

Benefits :

* The entire hub is extremely lightweight and strong
* Greater efficiency due to better transmission of efforts on the entire wheel

Process :
The contact zone between the pawl and hub body is reinforced by 2 stainless steel FTS-L inserts, which allows for manufacturing an all aluminum hub body.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Ah, those sneaky french! ;)

In that case, do I need an endless cog? Are they wide enough?

Since I can't test out the ratio's....what should a SS noob start with? I live in the Virginia mountains. I'll likely start on a few of the more rolling hills areas with shorter powerful climbs. If anyone is familair, these are places like Walnut Creek and the Lower flater sections of Carvin's Cove. I'll move up once I can clean Walnut Creek's trails like I can on my gearie.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but you all have been absolutely instrumental in helping me convert over. Cheers for that! :thumbsup:

EDT: just saw this response from earlier...
Bike Nazi said:
webcyclery.com.
Also the King Cogs (and I think Surly) have wide bases as well.
I called up webcycley, the guy there was MAD cool! I got a Chris King 18T cog to start with, also ordered spacers, white industries ENO crank with emerald green bling ring...hehe, and a Sram SS chain :thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.