Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
lurker no more
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It ain't bling and she sure as heck ain't custom (as the posers/snobs here define it ;) ), but she's all mine and all is good. Specs to be posted in the Six Pack database sticky later today. As a disturbing side note, this is probably the longest Turner build in all of homer-dom as I started collecting parts last Memorial Day, 2005.

Happy trails, all.

From quite possibly, your smallest/lightest, homer at 5' 5.5" and 122# And yes, I do still have standover room, just enough for my comfort zone...will just have to pay extra attention to those future botched landings.

-oreo

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,470 Posts
Congratulations. Looks great! :thumbsup:

If you have not cut the steer tube, I'd ditch (return, if you can) the TALAS 36 and go for a Van, if you want to stick with Fox, or get one of the 'zoke 66s.

·
lurker no more
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bike build list is up for the curious...and yes, you read that correctly. It's an 8 speed dinosaur with a 11-32t casette. This is my first frame only purchase, so we'll see how my parts list holds up to the test of time and my climbing prowness (or lack thereof) I've been told climbing with 32t in the rear is hard work and I should go for 34t...ah well, in the meantime I'll ride her like I stole her.

As to the 36 TALAS...alas, it's too late as I've bought it used. It's all good. Live and learn (i.e.- don't be a guinea pig) I'll keep it for a few years and see what else comes down the line. I don't think I'll use up all the travel at my weight and riding style, even with the documented travel loss, unless going off something freakishly huge, only time will tell.

Link for build list here below (It's number 10 on page 3):
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=983530&page=3

·
lurker no more
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, homers

Thanks for the compliments...

CC- read about the job situation and of your subsequent, most excellent adventure to Colorado which would've been tougher if it weren't for your time off between gigs. Glad you enjoyed it and hope you'll find something soon.

Cheezy- uhh...cute wasn't exactly what I was going for, but glad that barny likes it.

Pinch- my other bike is grey, so I only had one choice and I like the white a lot too.

Rene- the bike is nice or nicer than Crazy Fred's? :skep: Just kidding. I figure if I don't bill it as super-duper I won't catch flak from anyone. :)

Dusty B- What do you ride? Obviously not a Turner, but just curious.

Skullcrack-
I borrowed the galfer rotor/EX 5.1d rim ideas from you...thanks. When I saw your bikes and talked with others about their durability and use I decided to give them a try.

The futon- wife forbids the actual couch, so it must go on the old college futon. I'm glad that the homers have deemed it appropriate, even if not quite as poofta as AKChris' flaming red monster.

·
Team Sanchez
4,356 Posts
Oreo, sorry the 36 was a disappointment. Some people love them, others not so much. Truth be told, I don't care for the way the vanillas ride either, but there are tons of people that swear by them.

·
Outcast
8,575 Posts
Oreo, yes, I was being sincere, I think your bike is nicer than Fred's. I don't care for his wheels, I like your wheel build much better! Plus you don't have a silly [IMO] accessory white paint scheme thing going on.:thumbsup:

Edit: Hey, I use the dinosaur 8 speed myself. Nothin' to be ashamed of!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Renegade said:
Edit: Hey, I use the dinosaur 8 speed myself. Nothin' to be ashamed of!
I still run a 1996 8 speed drivetrain on my hardtail, and it shifts as good today as it did TEN years ago. I don't have to adjust anything, it just plain works. So I lament for the good ole days.

·
Nothing here
757 Posts
DLine said:
I still run a 1996 8 speed drivetrain on my hardtail, and it shifts as good today as it did TEN years ago. I don't have to adjust anything, it just plain works. So I lament for the good ole days.
I have the same thing going on my hardtail. 8 Speed tranny from 1997. Still shifts like butta. I used my chain checker and the chain is stretched well beyond 1.0, but I'm going to let all the parts die together.

Oh, and sweet 6Pack. You will love it. It even has the "Six Pack" logo on it which is cool because mine does not!

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,470 Posts
oreo said:
As to the 36 TALAS...alas, it's too late as I've bought it used. It's all good. Live and learn (i.e.- don't be a guinea pig) I'll keep it for a few years and see what else comes down the line. I don't think I'll use up all the travel at my weight and riding style, even with the documented travel loss, unless going off something freakishly huge, only time will tell.
In that case the TALAS 36 will work fine. Enjoy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.