Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for all your info on my previous thread, so now I am about to change my order from a CC to an AC I have a few questions.
1/ Who is going to take responsibility for this & ask Si at Nicolai UK if I can transfer my deposit to a different model.
2/ What colours can I buy deep(22mm) head sets in & which are the best brands.
3/I have 2 air shocks an RP3 200mm e-e 50mm stroke & a DHX 5 200mm e-e 57mm stroke which would be best suited to the AC.
Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Yes, well Si knows all about changing orders after they've been placed. I ended up making a few alterations. I am sure he would be really pleased to know that I was partly responsible for you making this change!

Have a look at Reset Racing (http://www.reset-racing.de/) They can supply a 22mm insert headset fitted at the factory and they have lots of spangly colours. Price will be around £140. Your other option is a Chris King Steel Set (similar price) and there are a few other manufacturers with 22mm insert cups.

A lot of people don't bother with the 22mm insert thing. I've personally gone for a reset racing fitted at the factory because I figure I might end up using the AM for DH riding as well. All other things being equal, i.e. price, you may as well.

Can't comment on the damper, sorry mate.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
the stack heights on the reset are quite high. 22mm insert is overkill when you consider non one else requires it. go with a hope or cane creek

·
Registered
126 Posts
You can also take a look at the Acros hedsets

·
Registered
445 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the 22mm insertion if your planning on keeping her on the ground.

I went with the reset from the factory as my frame will be a keeper, and I'm a worrier . Yes the stack is huuuge, but it seems very solid, runs smooth, seals well and aint go-in no where.
Fit and forget.

I also looked at:-
CK Steelset, Acros AH-07, Token TK115AS.
One thing you don't want to be doing with a fram like a Nicolai is banging in a cheap headset.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I opted for a CK Steelset for my FR as I was running Totems at the time and wanted to have peace of mind with a deep insert HS. I'm sure the Race Face Diabolous 17mm one would have been fine though. I did hear that some frames with head tube ribbing didn't accept the Steelset easily but mine slipped in like a slippy thing. The quality is excellent and a year on it's still extremely smooth.

·
from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
1,478 Posts
mikael_nr1 said:
Stay away from CK is another recommendation...

Cane creek seems like very good headsets.
You cant say that without an explenation? A properly fitted CK headset is a fit and forget. Of course you do get the retards that dont take the burs etc of headtubes and then blame the headset.....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi RPM ,I take it you mean that the headset can be fitted at the Nicolai factory when ordering the frame?
My understanding on head sets is that there is no guarantee without the 22mm insert.
If anyone can help on the choice of air shock (RP3 or DHX5 with 57mm stroke) I would be grateful.
Also can the DHX be fitted with a stroke shortener like the CCBB.
At the moment the AC will be built up light with revs on the front , air shock & XT / XTR bits.
However it may well get "beefed up" in the future.

·
Fat & Single
4,154 Posts
derekr said:
You cant say that without an explenation? A properly fitted CK headset is a fit and forget. Of course you do get the retards that dont take the burs etc of headtubes and then blame the headset.....
I dunno about that mate !

CK refuses to pay Cane Creek for use of their patented "split compression ring" , and it works the best on any headset. So i would say Cane Creek or i bought a hope (who pays patent to CC) for my last bike and its "fit once and forget" ..... i have too many mates who are constantly tightening their BLINGY CK headsets , IMO they are overpriced %$#@.

On my AM i have an Acros AH07.... i picked it up on eBay brand new from a US seller for less than $80au (less than 40 quid) .

actually heres one now even cheaper ...... http://cgi.ebay.com/Acros-Deep-Cup-...Cycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1e59941fd6

·
Fat & Single
4,154 Posts
When you see the build quality of the Nicolai head tube , you will wonder why they specify a deep headset , if Nicolai does not ask for it on the AC , i definately would not bother .

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
All this BS about Ck Headsets being crap is just a crock of the steamy brown stuff. I have CK headsets on all my bikes except the Jones, of which cant.... But seriously, if a CK headset is fitted and maintained correctly, there is no issue what so ever.....

·
Registered
522 Posts
derekr said:
Derek, The CK design isn't perfect and there is a bit of a love/hate relationship towards CK headsets with the most common complaints being slackening and creaking.

I'm sure if you do a search you'll find loads of threads/posts on MTBR about this.

·
Registered
506 Posts
CK look great and I'm sure they work on a roadbike or XC bike.

My CK headset creaked and had to be retightened very often.

The fact that it damages the forks steerer is to consider too. Because the crappish o ring makes the fork steerer to move forward/backward all the time and eventually the diameter of the fork steerer has been noticably smaller on that area (and coloured by the CK ano finish).

·
steep fast and loose :)
3,270 Posts
sdr08 is correct - there is an inherent design flaw in the CK design, but I have them on ALL my bikes and they're kept clean, regularly torqued and the O ring's are all intact.
just be cautious.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Whafe said:
All this BS about Ck Headsets being crap is just a crock of the steamy brown stuff. I have CK headsets on all my bikes except the Jones, of which cant.... But seriously, if a CK headset is fitted and maintained correctly, there is no issue what so ever.....
I'd have to second that....I have a normal CK and a steelset as well various other makes and apart from a retighten after they bed in I've experienced no problems with them. The common argument appears to be over the lack of a compression ring but I have no idea why or where this is fitted.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts