Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a great trend towards wide bars and shorter stems for control. Great! Lose the road bike fit. So, as I'm buying parts for my build, I'm noticing that chromag osx bars seem to be pimp style. I like them from a spec/looks perspective, but is there anything else I should be looking at for a FR/All mountain build?

I also like their Hifi stem, but thomson's x4 looks like it fits the bill too. Same question, anything else I should be looking at?

I'd also like to say that I appreciate the advice I've gotten thus far on my SS build. Researching on the web often nets you 75% marketing drivel so its nice to hear from people who have ridden this stuff. :thumbsup:

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Chromag is pretty sweet stuff but you will pay extra for it. If you get the chromag bars than pair it with the chromag stem. They do seem to be the new "Bling" part and i don't doubt they are super bomber and rad looking but when i was looking for my last build you could almost get some bars and a stem for the same price.

My favorite bars are the new deity black label bars. 31" wide and low. you can always cut it down after if you need to. they just feel comfortable and they are wicked lightweight for how long they are. very stealth looking too

You can't go wrong with a thomson x4 stem. I have had the same one on different builds for 3 years now. Pretty much every build i have had has had them.

If you want other options look into twenty6, point one racing, straitline, truvativ (if you want a really cheap but solid stem), and the new syncros FRIC stem looks pretty cool and is crazy light but haven't heard any real world reviews yet so maybe wait.

Other bar options: look into other deity's for more rise, race face atlas FR (probably most popular right now), sunline, syncros, spank, spike, answer, fsa gravity, and again truvativ if you want a cheap but solid bar. pretty much all the bars out right now are awesome. maybe just find the right height, length, and sweep (oh and color) and go with that

last thing. If you want to buy a few things then look into the race face stuff since they have multiple parts that all color coordinate (bars, cranks, chainrings, etc)

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
I'm rockin the Spank Spike 777 right now, nothing bad to say about it. I love the angles, it looks good, and is very durable (in black that is - heard the white version may chip a bit more). They do a couple of colors for 2011 as well (now called the Spike 777 Evo...of course...).

I am however probably going to be a fashion victim and go for the OSX on my new frame. The numbers are very close to the Spike, and there's something about that lime green.... :D

·
Committed
1,775 Posts
ODI has bars and stems now. I have been on their bars for a little while and find them very comfortable. Nice selection of colors and the ability to change your bar width w/o needing a hacksaw. Their direct mount stem is also really nice, just might have to pick one up as well.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
A big fan of Straitline stems... Less fiddly to set up than most out there - tighten up the top 2 bolts and torque down the bottom 2. None of that criss cross tightening to make sure you've got your face plate set up even.
Also been using Deity's bars since 2008 with no complaints.

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
renthal duo stem is what i'd buy if i had the stack height. thomson is what i've run on every bike i've owned but i'm currently using a raceface d2 stem due to the aformentioned height issue. raceface is super high quality stuff, but my particular stem is an anchor at 260g. sunline and straitline would round out my choice. i am using atlas bars cut down a bit and i love them. chromag is sweet but super expensive. i was debating between the fubar and the atlas but i went with the cheaper option.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Currently running a 35mm Straitline SSC Blue Stem on my Glory DH0 Freeride build, love it but will be swapped out to a 50mm Blue raceface D2 stem for the longer length.

Being a fan of raceface, ive currently got raceface responds which are outstanding bars at a bargin price, but there about short at 685mm stock. Will be soon swapping out for Atlas FR bars for the greater width (and lighter to)

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Many have also been going for wide FLAT bars to stay low over the bike. I put a Blackspire one on my trail bike.

·
Registered
250 Posts
juanbeegas said:
A big fan of Straitline stems... Less fiddly to set up than most out there - tighten up the top 2 bolts and torque down the bottom 2. None of that criss cross tightening to make sure you've got your face plate set up even.
Also been using Deity's bars since 2008 with no complaints.
I too run the straightline paired with deity bars. I'm so used to the set up that I don't really notice how nice it is until I ride someone else's bike. It could just be the bike (yeti 303 rdh), but the main thing I notice is how much easier it is to pull up and make the ass end absorb something big and unexpected. Blasting through an unfamiliar rock garden, I never find myself lacking in the control department.

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
Nick_M2R said:
Currently running a 35mm Straitline SSC Blue Stem on my Glory DH0 Freeride build, love it but will be swapped out to a 50mm Blue raceface D2 stem for the longer length.

Being a fan of raceface, ive currently got raceface responds which are outstanding bars at a bargin price, but there about short at 685mm stock. Will be soon swapping out for Atlas FR bars for the greater width (and lighter to)
are you interested in a black d2?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.