Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Marzocchi MX comp ETA.

I was wondering if it would be bad for the fork if I used the ETA for jumping? It works really well to push the ETA on right before a drop or jump. When I land the ETA locks the fork down and doesn't give any rebound until I release the ETA. It works great for drops and eliminates getting bounced off the bike.

Is the ETA oil controlled? or mechanical? Does anyone see any problems with this?

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
BudhaGoodha said:

I was wondering if it would be bad for the fork if I used the ETA for jumping? It works really well to push the ETA on right before a drop or jump. When I land the ETA locks the fork down and doesn't give any rebound until I release the ETA. It works great for drops and eliminates getting bounced off the bike.

Is the ETA oil controlled? or mechanical? Does anyone see any problems with this?

It would probably work just fine. The ETA, as far as I know, just locks out the rebound.

Don't forget to release the ETA before your next jump....LOL

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
BudhaGoodha said:

Yeah...that's the easiest way to break your fork...jumping on your lock ETA...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason I get bucked off the bike sometimes is because I like to set the air preload high for jumping.

I'm talking about using the ETA as a one jump helper. The ETA doesn't engage unless the fork has been compressed down.

Here's how I think it works so well for drops to flat ground:

I can flip the ETA lever over to ON. I then make sure to not compress the fork before dropping. I do the drop and the suspension compresses as usual, but doesn't come back up with any rebound. It makes for a great landing.

Does anyone know if ETA is oil controlled?

It still seems like this shouldn't be good for the fork.

·
Trail Rider
914 Posts
BudhaGoodha said:
The reason I get bucked off the bike sometimes is because I like to set the air preload high for jumping.

I'm talking about using the ETA as a one jump helper. The ETA doesn't engage unless the fork has been compressed down.

Here's how I think it works so well for drops to flat ground:

I can flip the ETA lever over to ON. I then make sure to not compress the fork before dropping. I do the drop and the suspension compresses as usual, but doesn't come back up with any rebound. It makes for a great landing.

Does anyone know if ETA is oil controlled?

It still seems like this shouldn't be good for the fork.
I think the ETA comes only on coil forks. It seems to be mechanical in function. I don't know exactly how it works. The warning in the owners man. says not to use it in DH situations. It says the fork won't work safely(absorb bumps). I wouldn't think the mechanical device would last too long if exposed to big hits. I only use it in steep long climbs, going slow.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ETA doesn't instantly engage when you turn the knob. You still get one full compression before it locks down. Marz says not to use ETA downhill because after the first compression, you dont have any travel left because it won't rebound.

What I'm talking about is using the ETA for Urban riding or drop offs where I can jump without compressing the fork. This is easy to do since I ride with a high preload air pressure.

Since it's oil controlled, it might not be bad for the fork at all.

·
Registered
463 Posts
this is a weird thing to want to do

I don't understand why you don't just set your fork up properly for big hits, i.e. increase the rebound damping. Why would you want to have to mess with the eta all the time, when you can have the fork behave better without it? -t

·
Registered
557 Posts
BudhaGoodha said:

The ETA is hydraulic. It locks the rebound circuit. But it is only meant as a climbing aid. Repeated landings with the ETA on could damage the cartridge as well as other parts of the fork. You best bet would be to slow your rebound using the damping adjustment in the right leg.

Brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.