Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding the trails today and my SRAM PC870 chain broke a link. It happened to be the link directly next to the powerlink that comes on the chain. I was unable to reconnect the chain so I pulled out my spare powerlink from my pack and used it. I now have two powerlinks in a row. Is this ok or should I do something about the back-to back powerlinks? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
gsxunv04 said:
I was riding the trails today and my SRAM PC870 chain broke a link. It happened to be the link directly next to the powerlink that comes on the chain. I was unable to reconnect the chain so I pulled out my spare powerlink from my pack and used it. I now have two powerlinks in a row. Is this ok or should I do something about the back-to back powerlinks? Thanks!
No problem

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
gsxunv04 said:

I would at least replace the power link

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
gsxunv04 said:
Which one should replace?

The one that has the most wear on it...the older one...

Don't forget that you still need a spare powerlink in your repair kit....

So if you could just buy a new one....or just replace the older one...life should be good either way.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wouldnt that make me a link short? I replaced one with the second powerlink, so taking one out would make my chain a link short. I will definitely get a new spare.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
gsxunv04 said:
Wouldnt that make me a link short? I replaced one with the second powerlink, so taking one out would make my chain a link short. I will definitely get a new spare.

Yes it would unless you replace the powerlink with a normal link...

When you buy a chain it comes a little too long and you cut it too fit.

So you can splice one of those links back in and save buying the new power link...

But if you don't have the spare links then just buy the new power link.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I dont have the old links, I will swing by the LBS and see if they can help me out. If not I will just stick with the two poweerlinks. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
gsxunv04 said:
Yea I dont have the old links, I will swing by the LBS and see if they can help me out. If not I will just stick with the two poweerlinks. Thanks.
Do not add replacement links without using a connector link. The pins in 9-speed chains are not designed to be reused. It will be the weak spot and break again.

Get a short length of chain and use it to replace the section that broke, with (new) connector links on each end.

·
Registered
325 Posts
shiggy said:
Do not add replacement links without using a connector link. The pins in 9-speed chains are not designed to be reused. It will be the weak spot and break again.

Get a short length of chain and use it to replace the section that broke, with (new) connector links on each end.
Is there a connector link for Sram PC-850? One of my link is kinked. I removed and re-inserted the pin but it is still kinked. I think when I put the pin back, there is no gap between the plates, so no movement is allowed. I called Sram and they recommend to replace the kinked link with a Powerlink. I was wondering if there is a quicker solution while waiting for my Powerlink to come. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
sneakyt said:
Is there a connector link for Sram PC-850? One of my link is kinked. I removed and re-inserted the pin but it is still kinked. I think when I put the pin back, there is no gap between the plates, so no movement is allowed. I called Sram and they recommend to replace the kinked link with a Powerlink. I was wondering if there is a quicker solution while waiting for my Powerlink to come. Thanks.
Connector link = Powerlink.

Same thing.

If you just had a stiff link (not twisted metal) you did not need to remove the pin the fix it (details should be on the park tool site). Now that you did, you do need to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts