Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I even puckered up:D

It all happened so fast that I thought I just buried my front wheel. If you look closely, I think you can tell that I caught my right pedal (clipless) in the dirt upon compression.

I certainly would have liked to be a little more "even" with the dirt, but I think I would have had it no problem if I my pedals had been level. I would seriously be scared to land in this stuff from so high nose first:eekster:

Attachments

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
Ashtray Babyhead

Right click, save as...

Collect the whole Bandolero crash series!

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2 seconds to Fame...

notaknob said:
Right click, save as...

Collect the whole Bandolero crash series!
I'm sure that I was well overdue for a "good one":D

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
esquire said:
Right about there in the picture is that sinking feeling and little voice in your head quickly saying, "This is gonna hurt..."

Great pic. Glad you are ok.
Thanks esquire!

The whole incident was all in the blink of an eye..I just wished I had closed my mouth:arf:

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NWfreeride said:
Props to you... that is a good crash :)
"Good", meaning it could have been a lot worse:yikes: !

Thanks, man.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Dude, you should seriously think about getting a job with the U.S. Geological Survey. That was one hell of a soil sample.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
At least that is not off trail riding in the Sandias.

BTW, I know you are from New Mexico because you carry a knife on your pack strap.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,987 Posts
Looks like about a foot of fresh pow-pow.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Veggie slicers..

lidarman said:
At least that is not off trail riding in the Sandias.

BTW, I know you are from New Mexico because you carry a knife on your pack strap.
Crash actually carries handmade arrowheads for cuttin' the limes :yesnod:

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I were a boarder...

Jayem said:
Looks like about a foot of fresh pow-pow.
...put a lip up there and reach for the snowboard!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Mtn. Biker123 said:
I even puckered up:D

It all happened so fast that I thought I just buried my front wheel. If you look closely, I think you can tell that I caught my right pedal (clipless) in the dirt upon compression.

I certainly would have liked to be a little more "even" with the dirt, but I think I would have had it no problem if I my pedals had been level. I would seriously be scared to land in this stuff from so high nose first:eekster:
Cool Story Bro

·
Registered
456 Posts
As much of an SOB you are, glad you made it through to ride another day.

Perhaps that Turner technology saved you?

Looks like you would have spoken a few octaves higher judging from the pic. Are the neuticals okay?

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Glad ya OK dude, looks like some cool terrain!

But seriously dude its about time ya got ya self a full face, its not if but when, no one is immune if ya do it long enough and big enough, dosen't matter what bike or how good ya are, that XC helmet is not nearly enough, and I hope ya doing that in flats not XC clips ya will bust ya ankle. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
trailadvent said:
Glad ya OK dude, looks like some cool terrain!

But seriously dude its about time ya got ya self a full face, its not if but when, no one is immune if ya do it long enough and big enough, dosen't matter what bike or how good ya are, that XC helmet is not nearly enough, and I hope ya doing that in flats not XC clips ya will bust ya ankle. :thumbsup:
Thanks TA.

I had my FF helmet in the truck. I was planning on suiting up, but when I got to the spot I thought I was ready to nail it. I stood atop the lip for a couple'a minutes and went through everything in my head. If we would have scrubbed out that landing a little better, I'da had for sure, but I was interested doing O'natural.

You are right though. It's just a matter of time before one gets injured (in one form or another)..no matter if you are suited up or not ...IMO. That's where having some experience and good good self control come in handy. I like to think that I can calculate all these factors before I make a decision to risk injury and subsequently make the "correct" decision based on many scenarios. I did not take into account my right foot scrubbing the landing, but I knew enough about the soil type (and I have years of experience at OTB's) to realize that it was pretty forgiving should something go wrong..AGAIN. Don't get me wrong I do wear protection and it is a no brainer when I'm doing shuttle or lift assisted DH. But when I've had a chance to get good and warm on an AM ride I'm more likely to be focused and less likely to get seriously injured, but that's just me.

Knowing when you are on/off is key to savin' yourself most of the time, but the all-mighty will make the final decision..IMO.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
How do you figure the accident was caused by a pedal strike, I can't think of anytime I've ever landed a drop with my foot down? Looks like there were 2 factors going, one being that was a stupid place to try to drop, and second you just biffed it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts