Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Say Car Ramrod!!
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rebound doesnt seem to be phased by the knob adjustment at all......is this the fabled to little of oil from marzocchi? i am aboot 160lbs how much will i need to add?
thanx

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Probably no help here unless...

lookin' to get ripped a new butthole. I mean all they know how to do here is point you to some lame LBS that will run you around & ultimately trash your fork & charge you for it, after they tell you what a moron you are for even takin' th time to post such lame questions, muchless even log on to MTBR. Am I nailin' it so far... :p

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Try riding it for a while. Most forks have a breakin period, Im not personally familiar with SuperTs but since you say its only a few hours old it could possibly be that its not broken in, or even that you just have it setup improperly enough so that the adjustments do virtually nothing. Try getting the right springs/oil weight/oil height for you, or atleast mess around with it first.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
is the preload knob spinning with it too?

the two most common reasons for this are both user error. Either 1) the preload knob is mistaken for the rebound knob, or 2) the rebound is at the end of its setting where is can get jammed up internally, thus spinning the preload knob at the same time effectively not changing the rebound setting.

The way the cartridge works is when setting preload, both preload know and rebound screw will spin as one unit. But in order for the rebound to change, the rebound screw must spin on its own.

And always check your oil level on a newly acquired fork.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Thats how the Shiver is. I know when I got it I didnt know what was the difference, and its confusing when you turn one knob the other moves with it even though it doesnt affect it.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
Thats how the Shiver is. I know when I got it I didnt know what was the difference, and its confusing when you turn one knob the other moves with it even though it doesnt affect it.
once you open the fork up and see how the preloading works and the cart it becomes pretty self-evident though. Basically the preloading works by spinning the whole upper cart assembly, where a stationary threaded collar moves up and down the upper cart rod pressing on the spring. The rebound screw requires the cartridge not spin (since its internal to the cart), therefore the preload (or upper cart rod) must not be changed.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
That makes sense. I havent even opened it up yet, lol.

·
Say Car Ramrod!!
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I couldnt find any oil levels in the manual...

COmtbiker12 said:
That makes sense. I havent even opened it up yet, lol.
i found some on the site....how do u check it? with the fork fully compressed then what level do u look for inside depth wise? zocchis site said 215 in each leg is this in millimeters?

and the fork doesnt seem to respond to the rebound knob nuch less the preload knob....its like they are for aesthetics only....would too low of oil make the fork rebound extremly slow? or could it be that its just new and everything hasnt broke in yet? the way it feels is when i am on my bike bouncing around and i compress the fork it doesnt even extend enough for the next compression it just like stays close to bottomed for as long as i am on the bike bouncing on the fork

·
Say Car Ramrod!!
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am gonna ship it back to zocchi

to see what they think of it..

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
The Dude said:
i found some on the site....how do u check it? with the fork fully compressed then what level do u look for inside depth wise? zocchis site said 215 in each leg is this in millimeters?

and the fork doesnt seem to respond to the rebound knob nuch less the preload knob....its like they are for aesthetics only....would too low of oil make the fork rebound extremly slow? or could it be that its just new and everything hasnt broke in yet? the way it feels is when i am on my bike bouncing around and i compress the fork it doesnt even extend enough for the next compression it just like stays close to bottomed for as long as i am on the bike bouncing on the fork
mine was like that out of the box. i spun the little silver knob(ok im lame i dont know what its called) to the left and viola. i cant seem to get mine just right though. its either way fast rebound, or way slow, i cant find something inbetween.

·
Say Car Ramrod!!
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea

konabiker said:
mine was like that out of the box. i spun the little silver knob(ok im lame i dont know what its called) to the left and viola. i cant seem to get mine just right though. its either way fast rebound, or way slow, i cant find something inbetween.
i dont have any rebound adjustment at all its like its stuck on all the way slow....

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
The Dude said:
i dont have any rebound adjustment at all its like its stuck on all the way slow....
well if its slow, its not a blown damper. Either the rod that governs it is broke, or its just you not noticing a difference or what i posted above.

·
Registered
557 Posts
The Dude said:
The rebound doesnt seem to be phased by the knob adjustment at all......is this the fabled to little of oil from marzocchi? i am aboot 160lbs how much will i need to add?
thanx
Too little oil would cause a fast rebound situation. Use a flat hat screw drive while holding the black preload knob and turn the screw counterclockwise. A couple of turns makes a noticable difference.

Brian

1 - 14 of 14 Posts