Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here she is. 5" travel in back, almost 4" in front. To get the chain to clear the tire comfortably I had to skip the granny ring. I also left the 3 smallest cogs off the cassette and spaced the remaining spider-mounted cogs out using some cassette spacers. This gives me a 6 x 1. I want to ditch the 32t front for a 30t to drop the gearing a little, but this is what I had laying around for now. I used a 118mm e-type bb with a bunch of spacers on the drive side to give me clearance. There is no problem with rub in any gear, but I am having some problems setting the low der stop so far from it's normal position. I need to think about that issue. Amazingly enough, the tire just barely buzzes the front der cable stop at bottomout. I thought it would slam into the seat tube. I turned the BO adjuster in and bumped the psi by a few for buzz-protection.

The rear end is a stock Turner 6-Pack triangle mated to my 5-Spot front. It clears the Large Marge/Nokian 3.0 nicely.

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,121 Posts
I saw the writing on the wall when you posted that rear triangle/Gazzi post on the Turner forum. You are truly the king of experimentation my friend. The ultimate FrankenTurner! It turned out nice though, good job. Mmmm, it's got me wondering now......could a Gazzi on a SnoCat clear my Marz fork.......

Rando

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Zokes have lame tire clearance. Get a Mav SC32. It is THE fork for this application. It's light too. Not sure what would happen with the seals at really low temps though. Could get ugly...

·
This place needs an enema
17,245 Posts
That bike is screaming a lot of things at once. Foremost among them are "Knik Glacier" and "Gooseberry Mesa"...

Action pics, please...

MC

·
FatBike Fiend
974 Posts
Nice job!

Looks great and it's amazing that rear triangle will clear that wheel set up. You might try using an older 80's front derailleur like a Suntour if you can find one, they have more reach. Or Rohloff if you want all the gears. Looks like a great crevasse hopper and iceberg jumper.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm gonna try a 83x133 isis bb like the Widlfires run and an e-type front der. I'll run spacers on the drive side until the cup insertion gets iffy. I don't know if I will ever have room for a granny ring, but I'll experiment. Of course the rohloff idea is simply the best. I may need to look into that. This was not so much a goal in itself, really, I just wanted to experiment to see what would work. I will probably go back to using the Pugs soon. Just messing about.

·
Beware of Doggerel
665 Posts
Wow that is super cool

Nice job. I could have used a nice dually like that last night on the bumpy Anchorage trails. I have a buddy here in town who had a custom rear triangle welded up so he can run endomorphs on the offset remolino snow rims on the back of his turner (I don't know which model it is). I met him for a ride a few weeks ago and without saying anything he pulled the bike out of his car and started riding as my jaw dropped. But he has a rigid fat-bike fork on the front. So its cool, but its rear suspension only. It doesn't quite have the monster truck look that your dual suspension fatty does. Maybe you could bring that thing up to the state fair next year and crush cars?

Adam

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pics from today.

Another clearance shot:

Spacers to move the cranks out, and the chain-tire clearance (in the second largest cog in back- the largest works great too):

The spacers inside the cassette spider to move it out:

They're baaaaaaack.... :eek:

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I fixed my rear der stop issue. I added back one of the cogs that I left out initially (so I have 7 in back now) and that let me move the der in far enough that the limit screw worked again. It did not actually hurt the chain clearance past the front tire much at all. I'm golden.

I also noticed that Turner moved the front der stop at some point after my Spot ('03) was produced as I see that Barny's 5-Spot (late '05) has it more on the side of the tube like my 6-Pack (prototype, mid-'05). No tire buzz on those later models.

·
Compulsive Bike Builder
1,512 Posts
Turner Research North

Dude, if you have not done so already, you should direct D. Turner too look at this thread. Given the amount of research you have done for them...well, you never know what might happen, but it could be very good.

Either way, you have the most valuable kind of unique ride there - one you made with your own innovation, not one you got just by writing a big check. Although I do appreciate the latter as well.

·
17,245 Posts
Do you have the 29" spacer in the fork, to limit the travel?

And what are the chances of a sand rim (82mm wide) with an EndoMorph fitting between the fork legs?

I've got this idea...

MC

·
Compulsive Bike Builder
1,512 Posts
Where are you getting those rims?

mikesee said:
And what are the chances of a sand rim (82mm wide) with an EndoMorph fitting between the fork legs?
Wildfire has mounted a set of Endos to a set of those rims, they are definitely wider than a Marge/Endo set up. Maybe he measured them, you should message him.

Where are you getting the rims? I presume they Remolinos, used, since they are not making them anymore. But if you have a different idea, please share!

Also be careful about tight fitting tires and forks. Tire casings are not 100% perfect, and if the fit is very close with one tire, the next tire you buy may rub. If casings were perfect, a Pace RC29 would work for a Marge/Endo tire/wheel. But alas, it does not fit within normal casing tolerances.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DT saw the thread I posted on the Turner forum ("The Turner that ate Tokyo") and thought it was pretty funny. Actually back at Interbike I pulled up to the Turner booth on a Pugsley and told DT I would love to try to convert a Turner to a snowbike. He said "I'll send you whatever you need." How cool is that?

Yes, there is a 29er limiter installed, and I raised the oil level by 20cc. I could probably shave the limiter down by 10mm or so. The tire does not come close to hitting the crown. The fork legs are 104mm wide ID at the tire's position when extended, and the legs flare a little near the crown so the ID is 101mm at the tire's location at bottomout. The Large Marge/Endomorph combo is 92mm wide, so I have about 5mm clearance on both sides. I don't get any rub, ever, but wider might get ugly. On the casing thing, my rear Endo has a wobble, but my front is laser straight. The Nokian wobbles a little.

·
17,245 Posts
tscheezy said:
I'm gonna try a 83x133 isis bb like the Widlfires run and an e-type front der. I'll run spacers on the drive side until the cup insertion gets iffy. I don't know if I will ever have room for a granny ring, but I'll experiment. Of course the rohloff idea is simply the best. I may need to look into that. This was not so much a goal in itself, really, I just wanted to experiment to see what would work. I will probably go back to using the Pugs soon. Just messing about.
Yeah--just messing about. We all do that with our spare Turners and Mav forks and Mav-hubbed wheels and... and...

Life is good, eh?

MC

·
17,245 Posts
DirtDad said:
Wildfire has mounted a set of Endos to a set of those rims, they are definitely wider than a Marge/Endo set up. Maybe he measured them, you should message him.

Where are you getting the rims? I presume they Remolinos, used, since they are not making them anymore. But if you have a different idea, please share!

Also be careful about tight fitting tires and forks. Tire casings are not 100% perfect, and if the fit is very close with one tire, the next tire you buy may rub. If casings were perfect, a Pace RC29 would work for a Marge/Endo tire/wheel. But alas, it does not fit within normal casing tolerances.
I've got Endo's mounted to set of LM's and a set of the Remo's. I've been in AK for the last 2 weeks, and I brought one of each with me. I plan to unlace the LM's when I get home--they just don't do the job like the Remo's do. Actually, the rims work fine, but the wider Remo's really spread out the tire (more square profile with the Endo mounted on the Remo's) and give better steerage and control. Noticably, hugely better. And I haven't personally weighed them, but friends up here with experience with both rims say that the weight is nearly identical.

I have a line on some more new Remo rims, but I have to check current availability before I give details.

As to the imperfect casings, I have experienced this as well. It's sometimes necessary (depending on your frame/fork clearance) to true the wheel with the tire on, so that the tire runs straight even if the rim doesn't.

MC

·
17,245 Posts
tscheezy said:
DT saw the thread I posted on the Turner forum ("The Turner that ate Tokyo") and thought it was pretty funny. Actually back at Interbike I pulled up to the Turner booth on a Pugsley and told DT I would love to try to convert a Turner to a snowbike. He said "I'll send you whatever you need." How cool is that?

Yes, there is a 29er limiter installed, and I raised the oil level by 20cc. I could probably shave the limiter down by 10mm or so. The tire does not come close to hitting the crown. The fork legs are 104mm wide ID at the tire's position when extended, and the legs flare a little near the crown so the ID is 101mm at the tire's location at bottomout. The Large Marge/Endomorph combo is 92mm wide, so I have about 5mm clearance on both sides. I don't get any rub, ever, but wider might get ugly. On the casing thing, my rear Endo has a wobble, but my front is laser straight. The Nokian wobbles a little.
Great info. I've got a few spare parts lying about at home, and I have an idea on how to tie them all together to do something similar without spending any money.

I measured my Remo rims with the Endo's at 97mm wide (@ ~20psi), but that doesn't account for runout in the casing. Might be too close for comfort. If not, it's gonna be fun...

I'll drop a line here when I get it rolling--probably a minimum of a week out.

MC

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am in the process of sandwitching two Turner der hangers together with some Marine Tex (JB Weld). I cut out the part that interfaces with the dropout on the outer hanger, so when mounted it will move the der out one hanger width. That should allow me to have an even more normal rear der action. I may go back to 6 cogs in back to get my spacing as far outboard as possible. My eventual hope is that with the 133mm bb spindle to be able to run both rings in front without a totally whacked chainline.

I would like to come up with a somewhat "turn-key" solution to a Turner snowbike so that I might be able to convert Barny's Spot to a snowbike without too much effort next winter. I'll just ride the Pugs.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Here's the product. It pretty much negated any weirdness I was having. I went back to 6 cogs for mucho clearance and now the thing shifts as well as a stock setup. Sweet. I am going to keep messing with the clearance until I can run two rings up front. I'm a determined man. :)

·
Never mind.............
164 Posts
That is oh so cool!

Tscheesy...I saw this on the Turner site,but the "action pictures" really bring it all into perspective...That,my friend,is a very sweet ride,to say the least! :p By the way,I'd hate to meet the fella who made tracks on your tracks..:eek: Have a place to mount your bear repellant? Peace & happy trails................................John:cool:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.