Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok... looks like the forum seems to be slow these days with un-interesting posts. I just received these pictures from Jeremy over at https://www.alchemybicycleworks.com/

He just finished my latest wheel build and should be shipping them out to me shortly (so don't ask about ride impressions as I haven't received the wheels yet, and it is -9C outside (15.8F for the imperial users)

Stock Tune King Hub (28h)

Stock Tune Kong Hub (32h) w/ Titanium Freehub Body

Modified Tune King Hub w/ hybrid ceramic bearings

Modified Tune Kong Hub
-"tuned the cassette body by replacing the stock 6902 bearing with a lighter 6802 bearing"
-"replaced the non-drive bearing with a ceramic hybrid"
-"internally butted the rear axle"

Front Nipples

Front (right side) Pillar Ti spokes

Front (left side) Pillar Ti spokes

28h Alex Rim XCR Disc

rear nipples

left rear Pillar Ti spokes

right rear Pillar Ti spokes

32h Alex Rim XCR Disc Rim

Completed Front wheel

Completed Rear wheel

Front wheel

Rear wheel

The Pair

The build specification:

Front wheel:
Tune King Hub 28h (tuned)
28x PST TB 1422 Pillar Titanium bladed spokes
28x Aluminum Anodized Gold Nipples
Alex XCR Disc Rim 28h

Rear wheel:
Tune Kong (tuned) w/ Titanium Freehub Body
32x PST TB 1422 Pillar Titanium bladed spokes
32x Aluminum Anodized Gold Nipples
Alex XCR Disc Rim 28h

Total weight = 1185g

Personally I don't feel any shame that I didn't build these wheels. The cost for me to pay someone to build them is marginal. Sure I graduated with an engineering degree and I'm aerospace engineer, but the cost to source the parts and then find the time to build the wheel perfect is not worth it to me. I also don't have that much patience, and paitience is required espeically when you are dealing with stupid light weight parts. So I get my wheels built. Every single time I have used a top wheel builder the tension is always perfect. The attention to detail is astounding. The care and love put into the wheel along with the craftsmanship, art, and skill are never questioned .

Lastly I like to make a comment about the best of best. I'm always amazed with dealing with the best in the industry. So many times I've walked into local bike stores asking for a custom built wheels. The situation is either they walk me over to the Mavic display and tell me that Mavic wheels are 100x better than a custom wheelset, or the shop tries to sell me some hubs they have lying around with random non butted spokes with a heavy rim they have left over from eons ago and tell me that is good enough and charge me exborbant prices.

When dealing with Jeremy and Sarah, all I did was email them about what I wanted, what my goals were, what my riding style/type was, then I said I wanted this this this and this for components, will this work? Can you build? Yes? OK how much? All communication done through email except for when I gave them my credit card number, that I called them up personally. Shipped to my door. No fuss, no muss. Both sides are happy.

Every single time I have used a top wheel builder the tension is always perfect. The attention to detail is astounding. The care and love put into the wheel along with the craftsmanship, art, and skill are never questioned.

So hopefully this inspires others to shy away from factory built wheels and adventure into the custom world (it is not that much more expensive than I9 or other fancy wheels, and sometimes it can be cheaper).

·
Registered
944 Posts
I have been pondering whether anyone made titanium freehubs (so they would not get chewed to pieces like Al ones) and lo and behold this post popped up. Those are very nice looking wheels.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Hmm . . . didn't even know Alchemy were wheel builders. I've had good service from them with regards to tune.

So are the wheels meeting your goals? How much do you weigh?

I'm a little surprised by the use of ti spokes. Especially with only a 28 hole from hub.

Would you recommend Alchemy then for building wheels . . . .

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I most definitely recommend Jeremy over at Alchemy Bicycle Works. It is a 3 to 4 month wait for wheel building. Alchemy dropped the Tune distributorship for USA. I suspect they were getting screwed by the fluctuating USD vs EURO currency game, as they take full payment on custom colored orders and then Tune delivers 6 months later only to have the EURO rise against the USD, and Jeremy would have to cover the cost. Plus Jeremy introduced his own line of hubs for road wheels.

As to wheel stiffness, I invite you to read the following article.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/wheel/index.htm

with regards to the 28h front option... well... Jeremy was getting rid of all his Tune stuff as he is no longer the distributor of tune parts. He had this one set of hubs remaining on closeout special, so I picked them up. Plus Front wheels built up are typically 40% stiffer than a rear wheel because of the balanced tension, and also the wider flange spacing.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Any first ride impressions? ;) Damn cold here too (-25C)

Those look like some sweet wheels. Sounds like a good wheel builder. For my next set I will definitely go custom. It's amazing how light those wheels are, hope they work out for you.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Limon said:
very very nice I like :thumbsup: are these for the ti hardtail? cant wait for built pics.
Damn right they are going on the Lynskey Ti Hardtail. I'll make sure I bring my bike over to my photographer friend to snap some pics in his studio.

You done your bike yet?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Very light wheelset cheers!! I'm in the midst of building a set too, however I was thinking about sticking with sapim, but boy those pillar's sure are light. Have you ridden with those spokes before?

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
protocol_droid said:
Very light wheelset cheers!! I'm in the midst of building a set too, however I was thinking about sticking with sapim, but boy those pillar's sure are light. Have you ridden with those spokes before?
Nope. First time for titanium spokes. This is my final bike project so I wanted to build my dream bike from when I was a kid in the 90s. No more bikes, my collection is finished. Now it's just ride and enjoy + maintain.

I have another pair of tune wheels built by Ron Ruff of http://www.whitemountainwheels.com/

Tune King, Kong w/ Ti freehub body
32 spoked 3 cross Sapim CX-ray laced to Sun Ringle EQ21. The CX-ray spoke is very nice. I also have a pair of road wheels with Tune hubs, Sapim CX-rays, and Reynolds DV46C built by Ron.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=370077&highlight=Cheers!

The wheels are amazing. The rear is perfectly straight still after numerous races and out door adventures. The front... well I crashed and dinged the rim. So I sent it back to Ron to have him replace the front rim.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
protocol_droid said:
Found a cool idea by D.J. from the ww. forums using staples to prevent the aluminum gouging. Check it out. A little off topic, but kinda relates. Here' s a pic.
I saw that post too. Very intriguing. But all my Tune hubs I elected to go with a Ti free hub body, except for my road wheelset, which I was able to get "clips" from American Classic to use.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Cheers! said:
I saw that post too. Very intriguing. But all my Tune hubs I elected to go with a Ti free hub body, except for my road wheelset, which I was able to get "clips" from American Classic to use.
so do those ac clips actually work with 9sp shimano since the ac website suggests only for 10sp, not sure if that makes a difference. Do you have pics of those clips as that other thread didn't show anything.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The Amercian Classic clips only work for 10 speed as the height of the clips are exactly that of the spacing for 10speed cassettes.

My road bike runs 10 speed Dura-ace 7800. For that matter the american classic clips are for shimano drivetrain only. Further to that when you buy the "clips" you get 3 sets. 1 set for dura-ace spider, 1 set for ultegra spider, 1 set for 105 spider. In the case of the 105 set they are pins, not clips.

protocol_droid: Sorry I don't have pictures of the clips. They are already installed into my hubs.

However, here are the american classic instruction PDF on how to use/install them.

Dura-ace PDF:
http://www.amclassic.com/documents/help/web10_SpeedDuraAce.pdf

Ultegra PDF:
The ultegra ones installs the same as the Dura-ace PDF

105 PDF:
http://www.amclassic.com/documents/help/web10_Speed105.pdf

NOTE: THESE CLIPS ONLY WORK FOR 10SPEED ROAD CASSETTES.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Final bike project my a$$, thats a story for all your other friends. We know you here. Wheels came out great and really light. Can't wait to see the final project revealed.

(whoops, couple miniutes behind Rocky, but its funny we were typing the same thing at nearly the same time)

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
Cheers! said:
This is my final bike project so I wanted to build my dream bike from when I was a kid in the 90s. No more bikes, my collection is finished. Now it's just ride and enjoy + maintain.
Bwah ha hah ha hah. Final bike project... :rolleyes: :skep: Like that ever happens once you get the bike building bug under your skin. :eek:ut: :smilewinkgrin: Can't wait till we the start of the next project.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
gotdirt33 said:
wait is the titanium freehub body actually made by tune or is it an aftermarket piece?
By tune. I believe it is a 90 USD upgrade option when you order the hubs?... I think you can buy them seperately for ~100 USD?...

But that would be bare freehub with no pawls and such, so you would need to dismantle your existing hub and transfer all the parts over. I'm not 100% how to do this as I have not had to take any of my hubs apart yet.

·
Registered
58 Posts
oh okay, thank you. for this wheelset i think ill be going with I9 but was exicted with a potential possibility of a titanium freehub body, to go with the full ceramics upgrade, but those tunes are sweet! congrats!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts