Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Soul Cycles Dillinger 29

Votes: 14 17.9%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to buy a new 29er frame, and have been wanting to for awhile. I was originally thinking of getting a Niner A9, but after reading some threads, I've found a couple of other options. I know this is ultimately my decision, but I have to talk it out, or I'm just never going to come to a conclusion. I'm not looking to race, but I do want to try and dabble, and my singletrack is mostly moderate XC with no big climbs. Anyway, here's what I'm considering and why:

http://www.ninerbikes.com/fly.aspx?layout=bikes&taxid=97

Pros: Light as hell, strength and ride compliance of scandium, supposed Niner quality, gorgeous paint, LBS support, said to have excellent handling.
Cons: Even at a discounted $600 it's the most expensive, is scandium really that much better, only a 2 year warranty.

http://www.tomac.com/bikes.php?year=2011&model=flint-29

Pros: Just barely heavier than the Niner, more acceptable price, local company (Lincoln is about 3-4 hours from KC), lifetime warranty.
Cons: Straight aluminum could be the harshest of frames (want to ride this for many years), probably the least attractive of the 3, no LBS support.

http://www.ridesoul.com/dillingerg4.html

Pros: Cheapest at $450 with brush Al and clearcoat, some titanium parts, appears to be a solid build, overall a stout looking bike, clearcoat with blue or red accents probably the best looking frame of the three.
Cons: The large is over 1.5lbs heavier, 2 year warranty, no LBS support.

So, what would your pick be, and why? I don't know that much about the Flint or Dillinger.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
IMHO , start with the lightest , Niner ftw .

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, this pretty much firms up what I was thinking.

·
You know my steez...
903 Posts
They all look good, but I agree with AZ.MTNS. It's always better to be lighter than heavier...
I vote for the Niner.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
I would go for the Scandium frame, but not just for the lightness. Because Scandium helps the grain alignment in Aluminum, if increases the fatigue strength. This allows not only a lighter frame but more importantly (IMO) a more compliant frame. For riding comfort, this is key.

The Kona King Kahuna is another Scandium 29er frame for about $600 and has a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Biker72, that's my biggest reason for the scandium. I plan on using this bike for a long time, so it needs to be comfortable, and to have a lot of fatigue resistance.
AppleSSeed, I live up in KC No., close to Zona Rosa and the airport. How much are they asking? I likely don't have the money saved up yet as I'm on a fixed savings plan ($100/month) and just started in January. But just for the sake of curiosity, what color is it?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Exactly. Since you don't plan to race, why limit yourself to those old school geo's, why not look at something with slacker angles and more fun - Paradox, Yelli?? Weight is not the end all, be all ya know, how it rides is what matters.
Tasselhof said:
Look what geo fits best for you - and buy it.

·
Rider down under
251 Posts
LyNx said:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Exactly. Since you don't plan to race, why limit yourself to those old school geo's, why not look at something with slacker angles and more fun - Paradox, Yelli?? Weight is not the end all, be all ya know, how it rides is what matters.
Agree 100%.
You say you don't want to race but have selected a race bike.
I'd det a more playful forgiving trail bike like the RIP. Might be a little heavier but more fun and a better all rounder.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Another vote to consider the EMD9. In a blindfolded riding test, I doubt if anyone could tell the difference between it and the Air9.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Aaron, Swope and Landahl sound nice, but probably just a once in awhile thing. I work in St. Joe and live about 10 minutes form Smithville, so I'll probably frequent those.
I wish it were as easy as finding the best geo, but looking at the TT length, the A9 and the Flint are close to what I'm used to. Note the only one I can actually test is the A9.
I haven't given a real serious thought to the others, but I don't see why not. My only thing is the traditional geo is what I'm used to and enjoy, and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." How does the slacker geo feel? Is it really that much plusher of a ride, and in twisty singletrack, does it give up a lot of speed?
The RIP 9 isn't much of a consideration. A bit out of my price range. The EMD is definitely on the table, though.

·
Trail Ninja
6,171 Posts
BunnV said:
They all look good, but I agree with AZ.MTNS. It's always better to be lighter than heavier... with a good warranty to back it up
I vote for the Niner.
Fixed. Lighter = less material = less strength in parts = more prone to failure. Better make sure the manufacturer stands behind their product before going light weight. Also, you shouldn't really push the limit of lightweight stuff beyond what they're designed for, else you risk breakage/injury.

Getting majorly injured is a good way to give up a great sport.

I know Tomac makes nice stuff. The Tomac Flint is on sale for $500 or something I hear and is convertible to SS easily with the EBB. "Scandium" is alu too, just with very small amount of scandium (less than 1%) alloyed in to enhance it. Don't be afraid of this "alu harshness" hype. I've ridden CF and Ti and don't notice any more compliance out of either material. I think it's mainly absorption of buzz from tires and grinding of drivetrain that the frame absorbs, nothing significant like rocks and roots. Some manufacturers have made alu frames stiff to avoid flex which would fail from "fatigue" (bending back and forth over and over), but experienced manufacturers have learned enough about alu to not worry about that so much and make nicer riding frames.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Dude, seriously, you are doing yourself a dis-service by not considering these new options. I was a bit skeptical when I was thinking of getting the Paradox as well, but it was a cheap "Fix" for the upgraditis I was having and figured it couldn't be so bad. Well guess what, I was absolutely wrong, couldn't be so bad turned into ABSOLUTELY FUN BIKE and there;s not a chance in hell I will EVER go back to that stale, "29ers handle to slow" BS geo manufacturers try to tote :skep: It's time that they wake up and smell the new fork rakes and play with geo, because if you're not a racer boy and still riding 71* HA bike's then you're missing out on a whole lot of fun = more stable, handles very nice, looses nothing, gains everything. and I won't even get into those uber long chainstays for absolutely no reason, if they're over 17.25" for a HT, more fun lost and absolutely no reason for it.

GPRider08 said:
Aaron, Swope and Landahl sound nice, but probably just a once in awhile thing. I work in St. Joe and live about 10 minutes form Smithville, so I'll probably frequent those.
I wish it were as easy as finding the best geo, but looking at the TT length, the A9 and the Flint are close to what I'm used to. Note the only one I can actually test is the A9.
I haven't given a real serious thought to the others, but I don't see why not. My only thing is the traditional geo is what I'm used to and enjoy, and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." How does the slacker geo feel? Is it really that much plusher of a ride, and in twisty singletrack, does it give up a lot of speed?
The RIP 9 isn't much of a consideration. A bit out of my price range. The EMD is definitely on the table, though.

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have been talking with Joel 0ver at Tomac Bikes and I like the frames (geo)
1. the Flint for my 29er SS bike.
2. maybe a Silver 29er for a backup race bike.
3. my main race bike Tomac Type X (carbon)it's msrp ia around $1100.00 for the frame.

Right now I am wating on the new Salsa Mamasita, I have one now and a Big Mama I don't like f/s all that much so the BM frame is going and I'm going to build up another HT,as a backup bike I have been looking at Niner as well but even with a pro deal Niner is almost dubble the cost.

The new Salsa Mamasita is comming out within a week or two it's going to be lighter all aluminnum no more scandium.

·
Registered
848 Posts
LyNx said:
Dude, seriously, you are doing yourself a dis-service by not considering these new options. I was a bit skeptical when I was thinking of getting the Paradox as well, but it was a cheap "Fix" for the upgraditis I was having and figured it couldn't be so bad. Well guess what, I was absolutely wrong, couldn't be so bad turned into ABSOLUTELY FUN BIKE and there;s not a chance in hell I will EVER go back to that stale, "29ers handle to slow" BS geo manufacturers try to tote :skep: It's time that they wake up and smell the new fork rakes and play with geo, because if you're not a racer boy and still riding 71* HA bike's then you're missing out on a whole lot of fun = more stable, handles very nice, looses nothing, gains everything. and I won't even get into those uber long chainstays for absolutely no reason, if they're over 17.25" for a HT, more fun lost and absolutely no reason for it.

I could not agree more with LyNx!

·
Missouri sucks...
2,305 Posts
GPRider08 said:
Before you buy, take a trip down to Blue Springs and ride my 26lb Yelli Screamy around Landahl and then give a Chris a call and order one;) I'll ride my wife's Redline D660 and try to keep up:thumbsup:

I'm with Lynx on seriously considering the newer, slack frame designs. WAY more fun than a XC race bike geo and you can still ride them plenty fast. If racing is a second priority and fun is #1, I think you should open your mind a bit. You won't HATE a Niner/Tomac/etc but you can have more fun on a day to day basis with a Yelli/Banshee type.

FYI, you might check out the Scott Scale 29er aluminum bikes. I bought a 2010 Scott Scale frame directly from Scott for $600 and it had a 69.5" HT angle and was designed around a 100mm fork. It also had much shorter chainstays than most "XC" bikes. It was a lot of fun and is in the same price/weight range you seem to be hooked on.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts