Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the deal with the "one-point-five" sized Cannondale stems and how does that relate to the standard Lefty/Headshok sized forks?? There is an auction on eBay right now for a "one-point-five" stem that says:

FOR 1.5" (one-point-five) 1 1/2" FORKS! (NOT STANDARD 1 1/8" SIZE!)
NOTE: THIS IS NOT A HEADSHOK SIZED STEM!

I'm totally confused!! I'm not sure if we can direct link to an auction but the item number is 7238649344.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CdaleTony said:
Auction

There ya go.
I dont know what he means, they should be the same....Though I too wonder about 1.5 versus Cdale. IS there a difference?
The Cdale 1.5 actually measures 1.562 (1 and 9/16)
CDT
Ok then I'm not crazy.. but what is with the "one-point-five" logo- is that something new Cannondale is putting on their regular stems? Thanks for posting the link- on some non-bike forums I belong to you can't direct link to an eBay auction.

·
Registered
293 Posts
1.5 logo refers to the size of the headtube and its ability to use a 1.5" diameter steerer as found on a lot of current long travel single crown forks like the 203mm single crown Manitou Travis.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
A OnePointFive stem or steerer is what it is, 1.5" diameter (inside for the stem, outside for the steerer). A Headshok or Lefty stem/steerer on the other hand, is a bit bigger so the two are not compatible. Cannondale stems with the OnePointFive logo are not to be used with a Lefty or Headshok, they must have been taken off a Gemini that had a Manitou Breakout or the likes.

The Cannondale frames are compatible with both though but it's the headsets that fit in the frame but the inside diameter of the headsets are not the same so although they can both be pressed in the same frames, both headsets use different sized steerer and stems...

Is that understandable?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dan Gerous said:
A OnePointFive stem or steerer is what it is, 1.5" diameter (inside for the stem, outside for the steerer). A Headshok or Lefty stem/steerer on the other hand, is a bit bigger so the two are not compatible. Cannondale stems with the OnePointFive logo are not to be used with a Lefty or Headshok, they must have been taken off a Gemini that had a Manitou Breakout or the likes.

The Cannondale frames are compatible with both though but it's the headsets that fit in the frame but the inside diameter of the headsets are not the same so although they can both be pressed in the same frames, both headsets use different sized steerer and stems...

Is that understandable?
Yep.. that is a perfectly sensible explanation. I didn't really know that the Lefty/Headshok steerer tube was not exactly 1.5 inches. I guess it falls back to the "SI" concept. Thanks for clearing this issue up!

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
vitaccop said:
Yep.. that is a perfectly sensible explanation. I didn't really know that the Lefty/Headshok steerer tube was not exactly 1.5 inches. I guess it falls back to the "SI" concept. Thanks for clearing this issue up!
The Headshok/Lefty steerer existed way before the OnePointFive standard. They didn't make it a hair bigger just to be different and annoying, they made it bigger first to accomodate the Headshok internals and make everything stiffer, they stuck by their standard for the Lefty... then OnePointFive came along for freeriding.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Good Old Dan, :)

Got to it before me. Spot on dude. Not an easy thing to explain to the layman.

With the new Carbon rush the SI concpet i taken to the max. That headtube/toptube and down tube junction is positively HUGE!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.