Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Banned
35 Posts
Finch Platte said:
I wonder how many members MTBR is missing out on because of things like this. I've got a friend who, for the life of him, can't get back onto MTBR. He's tried everything & just gave up in frustration. :skep:

Ummmm...nevermind.

·
Custom User Title
7,430 Posts
Get a cross bike. Titanium one, so you can take it outside.

I am looking closely at one from bikesdirect - I own their XC titanium hardtail, and it is a very nice frame. Apparently, one needs to track shipment of those before they sell out.. Reports say it takes ~40mm rear tire.. fenders and stuff for touring.

3,617 Posts
El Castigador said:
That may be the coolest bike I've ever seen.
well... 29er's can be a very versatile platform.

the hunter really is my dream bike.
its totally custom, i had the chance to pick out every single little detail.

i totally had the vision in my head for at least 2 years before it was built.

Rick Hunter is great to work with.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Yeah? Me too!

morganfletcher said:
Well. Maybe you mean something different, but the 'true and original' Mikes Bike's was on 4th Street in San Rafael. It was called Mike's Bikes. Mick bought it from Mike, and owned it for ten or twenty years, then sold it to the guy who started the modern Mike's Bikes chain sometime in the 1990s. Mike's Bikes was my local shop when I was a kid, in the 1980s. I bought some of my first bikes there, road and mtn.

Morgan
I bought loads of my BMX stuff from Mikes Bikes in SR. I grew up in San Anselmo.

Heh. I still have a Park Tool tri-Y allen wrench I accidently boosted form them when I was 10. I borrowed it to adjust my Tuff Neck stem, stuck it in my back pocket to give it back to them, got distracted and rode home.

I didn't say anything for all these years for fear of getting in trouble.

Whew!!! That is a load off my mind.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Oooh!

SelfPropelledDevo said:
i'd think of a Sycip 29er
Sycip would be great.

I dunno... if its your first road bike, I might suggest going used and not spending a boatload of cash the first time out... kinda to get a sense of what works for you and what doesn't. Just get some good quality stuff.... like 105 equipped or better.

I might lean towards an off-the-shelf kinda Giant or Trek or something.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Heh...

boomn said:
Thanks. I'll have to try that next time, though the idea of having less steering control from such a grip doesn't sound good to me for some of our rougher roads
I use the inboard grip area when doing an aero tuck on my mountain bike... with the H-Bars. Works great... at least if the train is smooth enough. :eek:

About 4 years ago... my first time racing Sea Otter on the Singlespeed back when the XC race finished on the paved downhill on the track.... I coasted by somebody and beat him to the finish line in an tight aero tuck. One place up! I think I finished 58th that year. :lol:

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
pimpbot said:
I bought loads of my BMX stuff from Mikes Bikes in SR. I grew up in San Anselmo.

Heh. I still have a Park Tool tri-Y allen wrench I accidently boosted form them when I was 10. I borrowed it to adjust my Tuff Neck stem, stuck it in my back pocket to give it back to them, got distracted and rode home.

I didn't say anything for all these years for fear of getting in trouble.

Whew!!! That is a load off my mind.
I'm 42. I hung out in that shop circa 1983-1989 or so. Do you remember Lynette, the nice lady with the curly brown hair? She works at White Industries now. I saw Mick maybe 10 or 15 years ago. I hear he's still riding his tandem with his wife.

I still ride with my buddy Chris, who I met on one of the weekly road rides that started at the shop over twenty years ago.

I used to stare and stare at the cool bikes in there. I distinctly remember staring at a Diamond Back Ridge Runner in the window in 1983; silver and black, bullmoose bars. Also a Schwinn Paramount on the wall above the entrance to the mechanic's area. When I got my 2nd hand Ritchey Annapurna, I got parts from them for it. I bought a Fisher Procaliber from them, and later an Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra with Dura Ace and Look pedals, just like the guys on 7-11. (The parts, not the frame.)

Great old bike shop. Later on I discovered Tony Tom's shop "A Bicycle Odyssey" in Sausalito, and then the "Bike Nook" in SF. I have a special place in my heart for shops like that, and I like to think of my garage as homage to them. I worked in a bike shop as a young man, 1988-1991 or 1992. Bike shops are rad.

Morgan

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Decisions decisions.... From the MTB rider's perspective I thought that most road bikes were fairly similar except for the bits 'n pieces. There is a big difference in how a bike feels with just a bit of Geo change. Tested 5 bikes today, several groupos. Time to ponder.

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Specialized Tarmac, Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse, Trek Madone 4.5, Look 566

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
wg said:
Specialized Tarmac, Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse, Trek Madone 4.5, Look 566
Which ones did you buy?

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
erik1245 said:
Which ones did you buy?
Carbon framed bike ordered today. If all goes as planned, 2 weeks + couple days until delivery. More reports as details warrant.
I'll comment on the various shops I hit at some point too. Almost all the shops I spoke with and visited were great and supportive. Most were able to deal with with my lack of roadie knowledge and long list of questions.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts