Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rolleyes:
Haven't decided if I have the $$ but I'm starting to shop....I just came back from a nice chat with Tony at the new Walnut Creek Mike's Bikes. I'll be heading back to try a few 61/62 cm models out later this week with pedals and shoes.
Other shop /bike recommendations around here that'll take pity on a noob roadie?
I looked at the Tarmac Elite Apex the most but will explore others. I don't plan on racing. Just more recreational, fun rides such as eventually head up Diablo.
Yah, I could have posted on Roadbike review but I don't rember my ID/password and didn't feel like dealing with it. I did scrounge around through the forums a bit.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I just got a road bike earlier this year after riding dirt exclusively for the last few years and have been tagging along on a couple of local group rides. I'm getting throughly pummeled but there is no question riding road makes you stronger. Way easier to get long, steady state rides in.

I really liked Wilier Izoard, which Mikes just started carrying. Seemed like a lot of bike for the loot. Ultimately got a Guru Evolo. There are also a ton of good road bikes out there available on Craiglist. Wheels seem to make a huge difference in improving the ride of road bikes....worth considering if you are looking at trade offs between wheels and components.

Take a look at Felt as well. They makes some good, reasonably priced bikes.

slowtwitch, the triath forum, always has posts on best entry level roadbikes running around if you can handle sifting through the triathlon banter.

Careful out there. Roads and drivers are sketchy.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
giant also has good value for the money. check out the tcr or defy. If you dont want to be so racy you can look at the slightly more relaxed "touring" bikes such as the specialized roubaix or the giant ocr. still totally capable but a little more upright and a little less twitchy

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
etuck said:
I just got a road bike earlier this year after riding dirt exclusively for the last few years and have been tagging along on a couple of local group rides. I'm getting throughly pummeled but there is no question riding road makes you stronger. Way easier to get long, steady state rides in.

I really liked Wilier Izoard, which Mikes just started carrying. Seemed like a lot of bike for the loot. Ultimately got a Guru Evolo. There are also a ton of good road bikes out there available on Craiglist. Wheels seem to make a huge difference in improving the ride of road bikes....worth considering if you are looking at trade offs between wheels and components.

Take a look at Felt as well. They makes some good, reasonably priced bikes.

slowtwitch, the triath forum, always has posts on best entry level roadbikes running around if you can handle sifting through the triathlon banter.

Careful out there. Roads and drivers are sketchy.

Hope it helps.
Those Wiliers are nice looking. Maybe beyond what the budget allows but tempting... I plan on avoiding becoming a hood ornament.
A big concern will be fit as my lower back is still *****ing about a long "road" ride I did Friday on my big old hard tail bike.

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
I have a 2008 model Tarmac. Love that bike. Road riding is a lot of fun, especially when you don't want to drive to the trailhead :)

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
This is the route I went:
1. get road bike
2. feel unsafe on road bike due to how the handlebars/brakes interface. Wish someone made a roadie with a flat bar.
3. sell road bike.
4. discover and get this. http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/street/coda/11_codaelite.html (older model though)
5. put lighter and better parts on it.
6. love riding this thing to/from work

I also built something similar with a mtb frame with a rigid for and some disc hubs strung to road rims before I found the Jamis.

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you don't plan to race you should consider a more comfortable bike as rox mentioned. A Specialized Roubaix or Secteur would fit the bill. Less road vibration means you can ride it much longer and a more comfortable riding position means the transition from mtb to road bike will be less dramatic.

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,693 Posts
Road bikes are no fun. Things don't break, I don't get upgradeitis, there's just less going on. I've been riding the same Calfee with Ultegra components since '04 with nothing changed except the occasional tire, chain, and brake pad. It cost me $2400 roughly seven years ago. Make sure the bike fits and the ride feels nice and get it.

·
Medium?
6,726 Posts
I finally motivated and built up my Jericho steel/carbon rig so I could ride with some buddies in Levi's Gran Fondo in Oct.

Imagine this frame:

with these wheels and parts:

This frame would have fit you well. I sold the frame and fork on ebay for $275 or so.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Most import thing is that it fits. Waaaaaay much more so than for a mountain bike (which is also important).

I don't disagree with urban turnban, but if you fit the tarmac comfortably, go with it. I prefer the 'race' geometry, even for long rides.

And sorry dan, but I don't think you gave it enough time to get acclimated to the position. Discomfort should be expected when you start riding a road bike, but now you are on a bike that limits you from enjoying some of the best parts about road riding, which maybe is what you wanted ;) . Brakes on the drops are enough to lock up the wheel, which is plenty.

I too have Plim's problem, but am determined to upgrade something, soon!

·
Like a boss.
662 Posts
I have a Specialized Ruby (womens' version of the Roubaix) and I really like it. I don't think I'll ever feel as "used to it" as I do on my mountain bike, but it's nice to go on long rides where you really cover a lot of ground, and it really really helps improve your fitness level. I think it's really cool that thanks to my Ruby I can ride a bike from my house to Point Reyes and back in a couple of hours. I've thought about doing meat (Marin Sun Farms) and cheese (Cowgirl Creamery) runs on my road bike but I don't know that it would be a great idea for me to pedal up Olema and White's Hills with a bunch of crap on my back.

Tony's a nice guy; he used to work for my b/f at the San Rafael MB. The new Wiliers are pretty sick. But ride a bunch and buy what feels best (isn't MegaSale this week?). Make sure you get fit to the road bike; it feels more important than it does for a mountain bike (probably because you're in the same position for much longer periods of time).

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fast Eddy said:
I finally motivated and built up my Jericho steel/carbon rig so I could ride with some buddies in Levi's Gran Fondo in Oct.
I'm riding in the upcoming LiveStrong event. Shooting for at least the 65 but training (and a better bike) will hopefully let me do the 100.

I'll be asking for donations soon. http://davis2011.livestrong.org/wg2ride :thumbsup:

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Bikesdirect.com has some crazy good prices on Motobecane and Kestral. Around $2K for carbon and Ultegra with Mavic wheels. Worth looking into for sure. But I'll third everyone here with the fit thing. Especially if you have back issues.

I'm riding an S-works Tarmac with carbon everything. Even though it's a race bike, it feels pretty good on long rides. After 100 miles, everything hurts anyway...

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
I had a TCR

rox said:
giant also has good value for the money. check out the tcr or defy. If you dont want to be so racy you can look at the slightly more relaxed "touring" bikes such as the specialized roubaix or the giant ocr. still totally capable but a little more upright and a little less twitchy
It was squirrelly as heck, even compared to other racy bikes. I dunno if things have changed in the last 8 years, and Giant makes great bikes for the money.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Go to Traction Bikes in Pleasant Hill (aka the TRUE and ORIGINAL Mike's Bikes) and take a look . Great staff, great riders, and great inventory. Their servo shifting Ridleys are so amazingly awesome. haha.

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
I ride a lot on a Cannondale CAAD9 with SRAM Rival parts and American Classic wheels. It's pretty budget and as fast as anything else out there. It rides great for a bigger guy, has a horizontal top tube, very stiff and solid but not uncomfortable. Mine is circa 2008 or 2009, made in the USA. It's a 60cm. Fit is really important. I've been riding road bikes for a long time, 20+ years, so I now how to make it fit. It's really worth getting a good fitting. This is my second Cannondale CAAD9. First one didn't break, I just sold it to get a newer one. I'd get one again, or the new CAAD10. It's an aluminum frame with a carbon fork.

Morgan

·
Registered
922 Posts
d-bug said:
This is the route I went:
1. get road bike
2. feel unsafe on road bike due to how the handlebars/brakes interface. Wish someone made a roadie with a flat bar.
3. sell road bike.
4. discover and get this. http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/street/coda/11_codaelite.html (older model though)
5. put lighter and better parts on it.
6. love riding this thing to/from work

I also built something similar with a mtb frame with a rigid for and some disc hubs strung to road rims before I found the Jamis.

My route slightly different...

1) Get 1st Cinelli road bike with slight reluctance about 5-6 yrs ago. Was told it would help make me a faster mtb'er. I was pessimistic but did it anyway
2) Felt uncomfortable on road bike but kept at it.
3) Eventually felt comfortable on road bike and actually enjoyed it...A LOT...Bonus...no doubt that it helped me become faster on my mtb
4) This is a big one that I highly recommend to anyone that rides a lot/races....Professional fit from Karl Etzel on both my MTB and road bike. For all rides/races...especially long rides and races this made a very noticeable difference.
5) Upgrade from Shimano to Campy
5) Drool over Look's and Cyfac's at Karl shop (SVCC). I convince myself I need one and I bite....Look 585 Ultra done
6) Start drooling over Powertaps and training with power. I convince myself I need a Powertap and I bite....Powertap/DT wheelset...done

Bottom line...I love riding my road bike almost as much as my MTB's. Hammering a big 3000 ft climb and then putting it in the big ring and getting in the drops and just maching the descents sometimes hitting 50 mph is a big high.

Oh one last thing....After 5+ years I'm still not a certified roadie yet. Hair is still on my legs :thumbsup:

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
motorbacon said:
Go to Traction Bikes in Pleasant Hill (aka the TRUE and ORIGINAL Mike's Bikes) and take a look .
Well. Maybe you mean something different, but the 'true and original' Mikes Bike's was on 4th Street in San Rafael. It was called Mike's Bikes. Mick bought it from Mike, and owned it for ten or twenty years, then sold it to the guy who started the modern Mike's Bikes chain sometime in the 1990s. Mike's Bikes was my local shop when I was a kid, in the 1980s. I bought some of my first bikes there, road and mtn.

Morgan

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
grrrah said:
And sorry dan, but I don't think you gave it enough time to get acclimated to the position. Discomfort should be expected when you start riding a road bike, but now you are on a bike that limits you from enjoying some of the best parts about road riding, which maybe is what you wanted ;) . Brakes on the drops are enough to lock up the wheel, which is plenty.
2 years was plenty of time. The problem I had likely came from type of use. I used it for commuting, and never felt safe with the road bars and body position. I felt like I couldn't maneuver the bike as well as I wanted to. Had I used the bike for road riding I probably would have kept it.

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
morganfletcher said:
Well. Maybe you mean something different, but the 'true and original' Mikes Bike's was on 4th Street in San Rafael. It was called Mike's Bikes. Mick bought it from Mike, and owned it for ten or twenty years, then sold it to the guy who started the modern Mike's Bikes chain sometime in the 1990s. Mike's Bikes was my local shop when I was a kid, in the 1980s. I bought some of my first bikes there, road and mtn.

Morgan
I've been to the PH Mike's (got my daughter's bike there). I also was a customer of the 4th St store many times. That's who I actually consider the original since I came from that side of the bay.
Traction Bikes does carry Orbea though... I really like the Orca but then reality kicks in... I'll start with a good solid frame, figure this roadie thing (parts etc) out then look at the blingy stuff. Kind of how I moved into the current MTB collection. Either way, I'm going to need to add space onto the garage bike storage system.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts